Sign in to follow this  
roland_lfor

Another radar gauge for VC & Window usage

Nope. Do you own the Turbine Duke V2? If not, here's the default panel.cfg with 2 GTN 750s:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wf223csckcglhf/PANEL.CFG?dl=0

It can be configured either as  the default GPS 500, one or two GTN 750s,  one or two GTN 650s or one GTN 650 and one GTN 750. The aircraft has it's own configuration manager and it overwrites selected entries (gauge19 and gauge20), but only if one runs the manager and saves the changes. No matter what I do with your radar gauge it displays not on the 2nd GTN gauge screen, but rather on another default gauge like either the AP or the ADF.

My guess is that once one comments out the gauge20 line:

gauge20=F1GTN!GTN750VC, 398,563,390,460,UNIT2

and adds your gauge at gauge20, something else controls where the radar gauge is displayed. The 2nd GTN 750 (or 650) is still displayed in the VC but with a black screen.

Roland,

I got the gauge to work in the RealAir TD V2 in P3d 2.5. The trick was to use the GTN 650 as the second gauge and use the same gauge "dimensions" for your radar gauge:

gauge19=F1GTN!GTN750VC, 2,563,390,460,UNIT1
//gauge20=F1GTN!GTN650VC, 3,383,390,175,UNIT1
gauge20=RolasnRadar!ORadGauge, 3,383,390,175, sweep|icing

The only issue is that the radar gauge is somewhat dim and difficult to see. In F1GTN.ini the brightness is set at by default at:

VC Brightness=100

Jay

Roland, I have quite a technical question so don't worry if you're unable to answer it fully.

I was reading a very interesting article about the shortcomings of airborne radar at http://www.nwas.org/committees/avnwxcourse/radar_realities.htm and it got me wondering, what antenna size does your gauge replicate? Are we looking at airliner style returns on your gauge, or the less defined and lower intensity returns of a GA system?

Perhaps it would be possible to specify the system/antenna type in the config file (e.g. GA or full size)? Or have scalars for radome attenuation and antenna size (which would then affect the beam angle, beam smearing/averaging, ground clutter and radar shadow)? Just some suggestions for the future, I know there would be a lot of work involved in implementing these.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Chris,

Actually I can't give you any correct answer because my gauge display data supplied by the ASN API.

How does this work:

- the gauge send the aircraft true heading, tilt angle and range settings

- the ASN API give back an array of precipitation density cells

So may I suggest that you ask to HiFi team?

My opinion is: it does not simulates specific radar beam (with attenuation, radar shadow computing...), but only gives a representation of the precipitation density depicted by their weather engine in the sim, but I may be wrong.

Roland

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

Hi Roland,

Thank you very much for this add on. I have just installed it in my PMDG JS41 and it works very nicely. I do have a couple of questions however. From the JS41 VC I can control the tilt and range with the mouse wheel but it appears it's not possible to control the gain. Is this a feature you can add or is it missing for a reason? Also, would it be possible to add a spot to turn it on/off? When the battery is turned on the weather radar powers up immediately. It would be nice to be able to control when to turn it on/off as per SOP's.

Regards,

Serge

Lian Li PC-P60B | Corsair HX620 | GA-Z370XP-SLI | i5 8600K | Noctua NH-D15 | GTX1080 8GB | 48GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB | WD 1TB | Dell U3419W 34" | CH Yoke & Pedals | Track IR4 | Win10 64 | MSFS

Roland, 

I was just reading a thread on the Flight 1 official support forum for the GTN units. The backlight on the the GTN 650 has some kind of bug in the Turbine Duke, so it isn't your gauge at all. Supposedly setting VC Brightness=4 in the gauge's ini file  fixes it and probably will fix your gauge also. If I don't post again about this, it's fixed.

So I'm trying to get this to work with various aircraft; the flight 1 ATR in this case. In the aircraft, the radar is supposed to show up on the navigation display below the PFD. The controls for the radar itself are on the pedestal, and even though the aircraft does not come with a WX radar, the dummy controls are functional/selectable.

I can overlay this wx radar gauge on top of the ND no problem. I can also make it appear as a 2D popup if it doesn't look good. But how do I control the unit? It's only a display, where to I set on/off, tilt, gain, etc? The aircraft has no default FSX GPS. Is there a 2D set of radar controls, like in Bryn's radar gauge? If not, is there a way to map the dummy controls on the pedestal to control the display?

thanks

You may use the mouse wheel to set tilt and range. 2 areas are defined over the gauge:

• Up/left for the tilt
  • Up/right (or center) for range

You can see the mouse pointer form change as you move over these areas.

If you don't see the mouse pointer change, unfortunately it means that the mouse areas are masked by the VC panel.

Roland

Roland

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

Roland,

Here's how the gauge looks in the RealAir Turbine Duke V2 in P3d 2.5:

radar%20gauge2.jpg

Jay,

What a huge gauge :BigGrin: , looks good beside the Gps.

Unfortunately the width/height ratio is not favorable as I compute the radius from the Y size.

You miss some aperture at longest range.

[Off topic]

I'm still with P3Dv2.4 as I'm unable to install 2.5. I'm afraid I'll have to reinstall my Win7 from 0 unless LM can supply a registry cleaner utility for a complete P3D removal. So as I don't see real improvements in 2.5 (reading Avsim topics)  and I'm happy with 2.4, it's postponed...

[/Off topic]

Roland

Roland

Hi Roland

Just wondering if you have released a version with a shell yet or is it still being worked on. I am very willing to be a beta tester.

Regards

John

Jay,

What a huge gauge :BigGrin: , looks good beside the Gps.

Unfortunately the width/height ratio is not favorable as I compute the radius from the Y size.

You miss some aperture at longest range.

[Off topic]

I'm still with P3Dv2.4 as I'm unable to install 2.5. I'm afraid I'll have to reinstall my Win7 from 0 unless LM can supply a registry cleaner utility for a complete P3D removal. So as I don't see real improvements in 2.5 (reading Avsim topics) and I'm happy with 2.4, it's postponed...

[/Off topic]

Roland

I'm only using the 750 because of the back lighting issue with the 650 in the Duke.

As to version 2.5, I don't see any performance improvements, but the bug fixes are welcomed.

Hi Roland

Just wondering if you have released a version with a shell yet or is it still being worked on. I am very willing to be a beta tester.

Regards

John

Hi John,

The shell version is not released yet, I have send a beta to Kendall (irocx) but first results were quite bad...

I just came back from a 2 weeks pro trip and had no time yet to work on it :huh:

As written before, you won't have any animated knobs as I don't know how to do it, but I have already added the 4 positions switch modes support: Off/Idle/Test/On.

I will send you the next Beta if you want, drop me a PM with a valid email address. (but I can't tell you when)

Roland

Roland

Hi Roland, thanks for replying to my previous message. Would it be possible to have the Gain and Off/Stby/Test/Wx as hot spots on the frameless gauge too?

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg