Few times in my life can I remember something which has brought such anger. 

I recently purchased the TQ6 throttle quadrant from GoFlight; you all know the one, and simply put, it doesn't work. By that I mean, it doesn't plug in and do its job properly. Now, I know, I probably need a registered version of FSUIPC to begin with, and then some choreography and calibration to get it to work right, and from the posts I have found on the advanced throttle, it seems I might have to repeat the process occasionally. 

Hmmmm. Perhaps it is just me, but if you pay nearly $500 for something, why should you have to pay another $30 for a program (from a different maker) to get it to work? For goodness sake, you already have to spend another $40 on a desk clamp! 

So, while I imagine getting a registered version of FSUIPC is going to be a part of the solution, I feel it only fair to vent my frustration at having to even consider it. Before we get to my simply complex question, please note, I bought this little troublemaker USED; and so, no warranty or help from the oh so less than friendly GoFlight. 

So I turn to you; the people who actually DO give a crap about other flight simmers and their woes. I am relatively un-tech savvy; by which I mean that I am basically computer retarded; so please, any help you give, break it down barney style. For those un-familiar with the terms, that means break it down as simple as necessary for a kindergarten child to understand like that stupid purple dinosaur used to do ;-)

Problems in a nutshell: 

After installing the software tool thingy to assign the axis where I want em, I used the calibration tool that GoFlight's website instructions told me to (the windows tool). After calibrating all my lever doohickies (Ok I'm not that computer dumb, but it's kinda funny right?), I fired up FSX and of course my PMDG NGX and found three primary issues that also happen to occur in a default FSX 737 as well.

Throttles do not move smoothly or in coordination with each other on screen causing uneven throttle increase between engines one and two. You all know what I'm talking about, that awesome little jump back and forth the throttles do because of some silly little glitch in which the computer can't decide if the throttle is on or off. Yeah, that one, but it is actually effecting the throttle in the engine, so it goes up down, up down, but not on both engines together, they are vastly uneven. I tried adding a null zone but it was no hope

When I first increase throttle, the spoiler lever deploys and then retracts, I have no friggin clue why. 

The flap lever: 

Despite being properly calibrated, the stupid flap lever in the full up position leaves my flaps at an maddening setting of 5, and when I deploy them fully, I am so pleased to announce that I can get all the way down to 20.

Any advice would be appreciated. I searched around a bit for some answers on here, but I'm only finding stuff about the advanced throttle, and while you might expect that I could still get some answers there, the questions simply aren't the same. I don't have registered FSUIPC; if that is what I need, let me know up front and I'll take care of that first.

I thank you for all the help in advance. On a side note, if anyone from GoFlight reads this; please tell me why I have to go through so much crap to make your insanely overpriced piece of metal work?! I plugged in my CH products plastic junker and it worked the first time. 

Well...I cannot figure out how to edit my own topic...awesome. Anyway, I need help solving this. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

I would go with Fsuipc. If you fly more than one aircraft or if you want to assign controls to buttons or switches its a must have. If you ever have CTD's its auto flight restore is a must have so it will be worth the risk of buying it for many other reasons

Once you buy it then refer to this tutorial or any of the others on google  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TkOg-r_MKwM  and with a bit of luck it may fix your throttle problems

You spent $500 already for an expensive door stop

so whats another $40..

ZORAN

Thanks Zoran.

I figured that was going to be the best option. There was hope that someone might have a different solution though. Thanks for the reply and the video link.

I'm assuming you installed the GFConfig software from here: http://www.goflightinc.com/pages/support ?

You can also use this free product here: http://www.pollypotsoftware.org.uk/downloads.html ... programming is a little more involved, but will get the results you desire.

I made a quick video using Steve' GIT tool here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJNsU7UjqqA

FSUIPC is also another option to set flaps to a range to match up each particular aircraft's settings.  Personally I much rather use a Flaps momentary toggle to INC/DEC the flaps.

Sadly each aircraft vendor will implement flap ranges differently which means you'll have to setup a range for each aircraft you plan to use.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm assuming you installed the GFConfig software from here: http://www.goflightinc.com/pages/support ?

You can also use this free product here: http://www.pollypotsoftware.org.uk/downloads.html ... programming is a little more involved, but will get the results you desire.

I made a quick video using Steve' GIT tool here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJNsU7UjqqA

FSUIPC is also another option to set flaps to a range to match up each particular aircraft's settings.  Personally I much rather use a Flaps momentary toggle to INC/DEC the flaps.

Sadly each aircraft vendor will implement flap ranges differently which means you'll have to setup a range for each aircraft you plan to use.

Cheers, Rob.

Thank you Rob,

I just got home and will try that other tool first and see where we go from there. 

Steve's (pollypot) tool can take some getting used to, but once sorted it works well.

Cheers, Rob.

I see no reason to make it harder than it is.  I'll bet many flight simmers can't live without FSUIPC!  So buy the relatively inexpensive FSUIPC, install it, assign the last axis to the flaps, and the ranges are mapped automatically because FSUIPC just knows.  Don't think of it as being some extra expense just for the sake of the already expensive TQ-6, it is a tool for everything.  After calibrating the TQ-6 with the GF drivers, it should behave just like any other throttle you plug in for FSX, and shouldn't require anything special.  It is just another throttle quadrant treated like any other brand you might plug in.   For PMDG planes, you can assign the throttles through FSUIPC, but calibrating them with FSUIPC might cause problems so don't, and that applies whether your throttle is GoFlight, Saitek, or CH or any.   Discussions about whether the GF TQ-6 is good value for the money are a different matter.

For PMDG planes, you can assign the throttles through FSUIPC, but calibrating them with FSUIPC might cause problems so don't, and that applies whether your throttle is GoFlight, Saitek, or CH or any.   

King, 

Thanks for the heads up. I tried the pollypot tool and it worked fantastic for my NGX, but when I tried to use my PMDG 777, no dice. So, as I suspected early on, I have purchased a registered version of FSUIPC (something I have been intending to do for some time anyway). I am in the middle of a VA flight, so registering will have to wait, but I will update all as I get it set up. 

Just curious, first, why is there a problem with calibrating through FSUIPC for PMDG? Second, how should I calibrate, should I use the Goflight suggested method through windows? Last, the video posted above by Zoran (very helpful Zoran, by the way, thank you), Froogle says you need to keep your "assignments" in FSX for PMDG a/c; does this mean I should have axis assignments in FSX and FSUIPC for my PMDG a/c?

Cheers

Only PMDG can give you the technical answer about what they are doing that makes FSUIPC calibration a bad idea.  Not knowing any better at first, I had tried calibrating my throttles through FSUIPC for the NGX a long time ago, and it caused some problems with Thrust Hold mode of the autothrottle which it reverts to during take off.  I don't remember what other problems I ran into.   I am not too familiar with this Froogle, but if he says you must assign your throttles in FSX instead of in FSUIPC, then he would be wrong.  I've always assigned my throttles through FSUIPC for PMDG and every other airplane, I just make sure on the PMDG planes, on the calibration page it says something like Axis Not Processed for both power levers.  For spoilers or flaps axis, you might have to check the reverse box if you find that they are upside down, and there is no problem doing that

If you installed the driver, calibration should be fairly straight forward for the TQ-6 through the Control Panel-Devices and Printers-game controller settings-properties page.  It has a very good calibration utility.

Who designed the TQ-6 such that the reversers activate not only when the reversers levers are pulled back, but the same button also gets tapped when the throttles are pushed fully forward?  I found the reversers buttons so useless that I don't use them, and calibrate all 6 axes to take advantage of the full forward to backward range.  I have the 4 unused little button mechanisms crunched way up in there so they don't interfere.

When I first increase throttle, the spoiler lever deploys and then retracts, I have no friggin clue why.

Sounds like you have it working sort of....but this really just sounds like you have assignment conflicts with that TQ6.

I think the TQ6 is the only GoFlight device that is natively recognized by FSX and as such gets assigned the usual unwanted stuff FSX assigns to every device it sees.

So the TQ6 will have assignments for the rudder. ailerons etc.

Go into FSX's controller settings and delete everything you find there for all the TQ6 axises and buttons. Then the GoFlight Config, FSUICP etc options will be a lot more reliable.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

^

^

Good advice!  Yes, if you are going to use FSUIPC, nothing should be assigned to your TQ-6 within FSX!

Also, please do take the time to read and learn about FSUIPC Profiles so that you can have different axis and button assignments for different airplanes.  It is very powerful, but that is just the basic thing to know to get off to the right start with it.

I am not too familiar with this Froogle, but if he says you must assign your throttles in FSX instead of in FSUIPC, then he would be wrong. 

King,

Froogle is a youtube character who focuses on sims, especially flight sims. I was unclear in what I was saying regarding his suggestion. It is not that you assign throttle axis in FSX for PMDG a/c, only that you must leave the "enable controllers" box checked, which means you will have to go into each one and make sure it is NOT assigned. Sorry for the confusion. I have assigned my axis through FSUIPC and made them profile specific for the current PMDG 777 I am flying. It was a bit confusing, even with related videos for help, and it took a little while, but dear me, I got er working. The true test will be after I land this bird later today and move back over to an NGX. I will have to assign new controls for a new profile, and it should be just as confusing this time, since I don't really remember everything I did last time ;-)

Sounds like you have it working sort of....but this really just sounds like you have assignment conflicts with that TQ6.

I think the TQ6 is the only GoFlight device that is natively recognized by FSX and as such gets assigned the usual unwanted stuff FSX assigns to every device it sees.

So the TQ6 will have assignments for the rudder. ailerons etc.

Go into FSX's controller settings and delete everything you find there for all the TQ6 axises and buttons. Then the GoFlight Config, FSUICP etc options will be a lot more reliable.

gb.

gb,

This was indeed one of the issues I was having. I didn't even think about it, but I had the spoilers attached to a lever on my yoke and it was pushed fwd causing the TQ-6 not to work properly with the spoilers (stupid eh?). Anyway, seems to be working now, and I thank you for your help. After I land this one and switch to the NGX, I will create a new set of profile parameters for that plane. If that works well, I can mark this little problem solved. 

^

^

Good advice!  Yes, if you are going to use FSUIPC, nothing should be assigned to your TQ-6 within FSX!

Also, please do take the time to read and learn about FSUIPC Profiles so that you can have different axis and button assignments for different airplanes.  It is very powerful, but that is just the basic thing to know to get off to the right start with it.

King,

Thanks for all the help. I am still working to learn FSUIPC, sort of on the fly, but given that I have several hours until my next flight, I will probably be doing some reading. I will let everyone know how the setup of the next a/c for the next flight goes, and if all goes well, I will mark as solved. Thanks again to everyone who helped, and hopefully there will be no more problems. 

God bless

It gets worse ... hit the "slew" mode ... all the mappings come to life there also which can cause issues if you ever slew the aircraft.

First thing I usually do is go thru all my controllers attached and remove all axes assignments in both normal and slew - very tedious process.  Save the controller profile (export) and then copy it to a backup location just in case ... it can also be useful to remove keyboard shortcuts that you know you'll never use (frees them up for using in GoFlight Interface Tool if you do any SendKey mapping).

Cheers, Rob.