Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

All alarams, lights, stick shakers came on right when I hit cruise

Hi,

I'm frustrated by this, I haven't completed a flight in FS in a long, long time.  First because of FSX and OOM crashes, now FSX-SE because I bought the PC-12 yesterday, thought I was good to go, but right as I hit 12,000ft on my short hop from Muskegon to Green Bay, all hell broke loose, and I tried to cancel all of the alarms, and lights, and stick shakers, but was unable to.  I'm not sure what would cause this, I'm hoping someone out there knows what I could do to ensure this doesn't happen.  Thanks!!  Additional info, engine temps were good, speed was good, everything was situation normal at the time.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

If you have not completed an FS flight in a long time, you have some problems on your system..

FSX-SE + PC12 is not going to help much.  These are both brand new and possibly have their own problems.  

Just a guess:  Did you run into icing, possibly?

What about flying the default Baron as a test, and see if you can complete a flight?

Bert

Or is it just that you changed timezone in the middle of the flight?

I had the same symptom when flying from france to uk over the channel: all alarm lights on, ADI/EHSI were reset, etc

Try remaining in the same area for your next flight, it may work much better :) 

Could be that the time comparison in their gauges is not using UTC time, so when crossing a timezone boundary to the west, when the local time changes with -1h, all test timers are reset, and lamp test and stick shaker test is active again... The avydine displayed ETE/ETA were affected by the same problem...

That could indeed be the problem, Carenado uses local time in many of their gauges..

Do you have my mods installed? I changed this where I could.

Bert

Hi Bert, yes I have your mods, excepted the EHSI.

but the problems I noted are in the test timers (lamps, shaker), the  avidyne time computations, but also the eadi and ehsi test displays (the ones appearing for a few seconds after poweron.

so excepted for the eadi/ehsi, the xml files you shared do not cover those algorithms

Hi Bert, yes I have your mods, excepted the EHSI.

but the problems I noted are in the test timers (lamps, shaker), the  avidyne time computations, but also the eadi and ehsi test displays (the ones appearing for a few seconds after poweron.

so excepted for the eadi/ehsi, the xml files you shared do not cover those algorithms

I do not recall which gauges I looked at, but in the GaugePC12 folder,

there is a file called Update_2.xml.

It contains:

(A:STALL WARNING, bool) 0 == (L:ASD_BTN_PC12_PUSHER,number) 0 == or
(A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool) (A:CIRCUIT GENERAL PANEL ON, bool) and and
if{ 
	 1  (>L:STALL_INTO_TIMER, number) 
	 (P:local time, seconds) 2.0 - (>L:STALL_TIMER, number)
	 0  (>L:BUFFER_PC12_Pusher,number)
	 0  (>L:PUSHER_STATE, number)
	 -10 (>L:ASD_BTN_PC12_PUSHER_PUSH_TIMER,number)
}

As you can see   "P:local time"  is indeed used.

Maybe, if you were to replace all instances of "P:local time"  by "P:UTC time", the problem would go away.

Bert

Hi Bert, I have your mods as well.  I'm still not exactly clear why flying into a different time zone would cause such a mess, I've done it plenty of times.  As far as my system goes, I'm happy to report no OOM with FSX-SE yet.  Thanks all!

Jeff

Since Carenado has coded its gauges, assuming that local time is a constant, changing time zones in flight

throws off all kinds of comparisons.  The safe route, is to use UTC time, which does not change in flight.

Bert

Bert,

How can I tell if I have the latest version of the PC-12  I did not find an update2.xml file I did find a Gauge_Update.xml file which I edited to say UTC time in place of local.  I purchased my my PC-12 from PC-Aviator because the Carenado stores web pay app wouldn't accept my credit card for whatever reason, I guess it must be outside of the US because I have out of country purchases blocked for security...  Anyhow.............. because I purchased from PC-Aviator, I do not have access to Carenado updates that would show up under my purchases.  I will try to email them.  Hope I solved the problem though, thanks Bert.

Jeff

Sorry, my bad, you have got the right file.

Hope it solves the problem!

Bert

Hello, Jeff.  I have seen that scary anomaly with every flight I have taken.  However, I have been able to cancel all the alarms using the buttons on the overhead panel.  I took one flight that was long enough to have it happen twice.

Muskegon to Green Bay crosses from EST to CST. Muskegon is very close to the time zone border.

Could well be due to travelling 'backwards' in time. Bert's probably right.

The way the gauge works is that it polls the local time for initialisation. If you go backwards in time (moving west), faster than the actual time can progress such that the local time when you do cross the time zone is not a more advanced time than when you had initialised the aircraft, something might be resetting or tripping off the alarms/stick shakers.

Try flying Muskegon to Green Bay next time and see if it still does that?

ekilmer, same to you - try flying east instead of west - do you still get these warnings and resets?

Yep I can replicate this bug too flying Muskegon to GB.

I think I fixed it now?

Need to do some more tests.

Edit: hmm, nope that didn't do it... only works when loading an aircraft already in flight.

Hi, as Bert suggested I changed all the times in the .xml file.  I flew across the lake again to Chicago Midway, and didn't get an error.  Hopefully that works for you as well.

Jeff