Sign in to follow this  
davaz39

FSX Steam — What Is It?

I am an old flight simmer who has not been active and is returning to the hobby after an absence of about 6 years. I keep hearing about FSX Steam but cannot seem to get my head around it. Is it a new edition of FSX or an add-on?

Could someone take the time to explain it to me ... it would be appreciated.

Regards 

Dave

It is FSX repackaged by Dovetail Games as an on-line release.

Bert

Another stupid question: I too have been out of the loop for a few months. Saw the announcements about the sale of FS to Dovetail, but never thought too much of it, since my old version of FSX was running quite nicely, thank you.  But after this moderate hiatus, I'm looking at threads where people are installing FSX-SE on top of FSX.  Is that correct? And is it really beneficial to purchase SE and install it?  And what are the pros/cons to doing so.

FSX is like computing in general - walk away from the keyboard for a few months, and the whole world has changed. I'd love to get all the info on this, and am trying to read all of the SE threads.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

But after this moderate hiatus, I'm looking at threads where people are installing FSX-SE on top of FSX.  Is that correct?

No, not on top of FSX, but alongside of it. So you will have FSX the Microsoft version and FSX the Steam version installed at the same time, just like you can have FS04 and FSX and XPlane versions all installed at the same time.

If FSX is running well for you, I would suggest holding off, unless you like to play around with new software.. just for the excitement.

Bert

Thanks, guys! I just wondered if SE was really worth the "upgrade" as it were.  Yes, FSX is running quite nicely on my machine, so I couldn't imagine why people were so excited about installing the Steam version.  I have a lot of hard drive space, so room isn't an issue, and it seems like there may be problems with PMDG products, so I guess I'll just hold off until there is a major overhaul happening.

-= Gary Barth =-

I purchased the Steam download for X-Plane. My only Steam purchase.

To start X-plane I first have to get connected to the Steam server .. and then it "lets" me use my X-plane software (runs it).

So, if their server goes down or my internet connection (Comcast e.g.) has a problem I cannot use X-Plane.

And it "logs" all your time (usage). I do not care for this either.

I personally do not like this .. next purchase will not be Steam .. I will get the CD's directly from the developer.

Anyway, I was wondering if the Steam version of FSX version has the same start-up routine ... using their server to start it?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Guys,

Steam is a gaming platform, it has revolutionized computer gaming IMHO.  Unknown developers have been able to get their work "out there" because of Steam.  We wouldn't want the world to only have Walmarts for grocery stores, would we?

Anyway, FSX-SE has so far provided me with a better experience than FSX alone.  FSX-SE has included some improvements that are not present in FSX, additionally FSX-SE includes acceleration and was only $5.00 when I purchased it in December.  I find it to be more stable than standard FSX.  I had one memory crash in FSX-SE, but a fellow simmer was able to point out to me, that it was a freeware scenery that I installed that caused it, so everything has been great so far with various payware addons working great.  To answer one of the questions, yes you have to open Steam to use FSX-SE.  I hope that in the future they will configure it so that you can use it in "offline" mode.  To summarize, if I had to assign ratings, I would have given FSX standard 7/10 and FSX-SE 9/10. 

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Jeff,

"To answer one of the questions, yes you have to open Steam to use FSX-SE. "

Thanks for confirming.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

And to clarify the answer to your concern, NO, you do NOT have to have Steam log your hours or even be online at all to use FSX-SE. It is not difficult to configure Steam to run offline - in fact, if you don't have an internet connection, it asks you if you want to set it to run offline so you don't have to rummage in settings to get that done. So calm down a bit. Big Brother isn't trying to spy on your simming.

And to clarify the answer to your concern, NO, you do NOT have to have Steam log your hours or even be online at all to use FSX-SE. It is not difficult to configure Steam to run offline - in fact, if you don't have an internet connection, it asks you if you want to set it to run offline so you don't have to rummage in settings to get that done. So calm down a bit. Big Brother isn't trying to spy on your simming.

At the moment FSX-SE will not run with Steam in offline mode, though I think DTG have said they will update it so you can run when using Steam offline.

I purchased the Steam download for X-Plane. My only Steam purchase.

To start X-plane I first have to get connected to the Steam server .. and then it "lets" me use my X-plane software (runs it).

So, if their server goes down or my internet connection (Comcast e.g.) has a problem I cannot use X-Plane.

And it "logs" all your time (usage). I do not care for this either.

I personally do not like this .. next purchase will not be Steam .. I will get the CD's directly from the developer.

Anyway, I was wondering if the Steam version of FSX version has the same start-up routine ... using their server to start it?

FSX SE must also be connected to the internet to work, I do not like it.

I contacted support about it, I received pleasant but not conclusive answers.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

Well, I had to open my big mouth and claim that FSX MS was working fine...and not it's not - I installed several files and FSX is now crashing to the desktop regularly. Despite several attempts, including a system restore, nothing works.  I hate to re-install it, and thought that installing FSX SE along-side it would allow me to re-build my files in SE, using the old app for reference.

A few concerns: I had the original FSX Gold, and had to install 2 SPs, plus an SDK or two, and update more files, like UIAutomaticCore.dll, etc. If I purchase the SE edition, are all of these corrected, or will I have to go and update these things all over again?

P.S. - Will I have problems with my PMDG 737NGX and 777, with FS2Crew?

-= Gary Barth =-

Well, I had to open my big mouth and claim that FSX MS was working fine...and not it's not - I installed several files and FSX is now crashing to the desktop regularly. Despite several attempts, including a system restore, nothing works.  I hate to re-install it, and thought that installing FSX SE along-side it would allow me to re-build my files in SE, using the old app for reference.

A few concerns: I had the original FSX Gold, and had to install 2 SPs, plus an SDK or two, and update more files, like UIAutomaticCore.dll, etc. If I purchase the SE edition, are all of these corrected, or will I have to go and update these things all over again?

P.S. - Will I have problems with my PMDG 737NGX and 777, with FS2Crew?

FSX-SE includes Acceleration, you don't need to install any SP at all. The SDK is not there tho.

UIAutomaticCore.dll is included in FSX-SE steam, same for Highmemfix=1 . The biggest advantage of FSX-SE over FSX-MS is VAS management.

For the 777, there is an installer for FSX-SE. The 737 is still being tested (in the PMDG forum you will find more infos), Don't know about FS2Crew tho

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."