Sign in to follow this  
JohnsonPBX

Video card upgrade

Hello guys. I created this topic on the "Monitors, Video Cards and Drivers" section as well, but I also created it here because my build is mostly FSX-oriented, most specifically for PMDG aircraft, and I'd like to hear opinions from PMDG guys. First off I will share my current build with you:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K @ stock speed (Turbo Boost and HT enabled, not overclocked yet).

Motherboard: ASUS Z87-PRO

RAM Memory: Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB (don't know the exact reference / speed / latency)

Hard disks: 128GB Corsair SSD & 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD

Case (not relevant anyway): CoolerMaster HAF XM

Power Supply: CoolerMaster something, 600W

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H105

Only thing left to upgrade is my videocard. Right now I have a 6 years old (MSI) ATI Radeon HD 4870 (512MB). For some months I've been reviewing posts on forums and trying to keep up with latest releases, and how they perform in FSX. While I understand that FSX is more CPU than GPU dependant, I do know that it does use the video card up to some point for rendering complex sceneries, clouds, water, etc. At this point, and considering how old my video card is, it's evident that it's bottlenecking my system right now.

A few days ago I was about to get an Nvidia GTX 770 2GB, but then thought "well, I've waited for over six years and will pay a good amount of money, so why not save a bit more and go for the best card at the moment so it doesn't get "outdated" so fast?"

The GTX 980 has been in my sight for a while now. Now here are my questions:

1. Will I be fine with an 980? Even though I'm not a hardcore gamer and my main focus is FSX (especifically PMDG aircraft), I'd like to go with the best one because there's a few games I'd like to play, such as GTA V when it comes out for PC, Euro Truck Simulator 2, some of the latest games that come out and I like, and then, eventually, move on to Prepar3D.

2. Which manufacturer? I've heard good and bad things about either of them. I like EVGA ones, but would like to hear opinions on all of them.

3. What's the difference between normal, Super Clocked and ACX 2 (?) and / or other variants if there are?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Let me state first of all that I'm not an expert (in anything). Don't overspend on a video card if FSX is your only gaming, as it is in my case. FSX is CPU intensive and a powerful GPU adds little.  I had the same ATI card and finally had to dump it with testing 777 because 1GB VRAM really is minimum recommended and 512 MB was causing problems.  To keep within a budget, I got the GeForce 750 Ti with 2 GB and I am very very happy with it. As a plus, it uses a lot less power than others, a plus for keep temps low.

Dan Downs KCRP

1. Will I be fine with an 980? Even though I'm not a hardcore gamer and my main focus is FSX (especifically PMDG aircraft), I'd like to go with the best one because there's a few games I'd like to play, such as GTA V when it comes out for PC, Euro Truck Simulator 2, some of the latest games that come out and I like, and then, eventually, move on to Prepar3D.
You will be fine with a 980, but as Dan said, even a 750ti can handle FSX well enough. BUT if you want to run other modern games, the 750 may not cope. I have a 780 and that takes anything I can throw at it at 1920x1080, and handle FSX fine. But CPU is the most important for FSX, I run my 4790K at 4.9GHz to get a stable 30fps in the 777 (although I run 32x antialiasing)

Definitely get a 970. My current system has a eVGA 970 Superclocked and a 4690k (your 4770k is faster I believe) and I get 30 frames (locked at 30) at flytampa dubai in the 777.

I'd have to echo the GTX 970 GPU suggestion. I don't own it personally (yet) but I'm days away from purchasing pretty much an entirely new build and everyone that I asked said the 970 is the go-to card.

The specs I've gone for are the following :

Intel i7 4790K @4.0GHz (stock)

MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC LGA1150 Motherboard

MSI GTX970 4GB DDR5 GPU

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400Mhz (9-9-9-24)

Samsung Evo 840 SSD (250 GB and 500GB for OS and FS, respectively)

Corsair CX750M 750W PSU (might downgrade this to 600-650W)

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo 120mm Fan

Corsair Graphite 600T Special White Case

Thankfully, I'm visiting my friends and family in Dubai so 90% of this hardware is dirt cheap (something that Dubai is known for, among other things). Currently, I own a 6 year old Quad Core system with an ATI 5750 1GB GPU so my expectations are quite high from this new build, especially since this will be the first time I experience what an SSD can do.

Agreed with Ryan. Gtx 970 is the way to go. A fantastic card for a very good price

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

The 970 is great band for your buck...complete overkill for FSX but it should future proof you on other games for the next few years.

1.  If your interested in moving into P3D then get the best nvidia card you can afford.  I have my 980 pinged out with P3D details turned up.  I would also recommend the 980 if you intend to move to 4k at some point.

2.  I have only had EVGA cards for the last several years so I can't speak on this one but I have heard great things about the MSI Twin Frozr cards as well.

3.  The difference between normal and superclocked cards are superclocked cards have a factory, stable overclock already applied under warranty.  You can buy a normal card and overclock it yourself to the same levels as the superclocked cards however.  ACX 2.0 is an upgraded air cooler that is already installed on the card.  The normal fan on stock (reference) nvidia cards are blower design meaning they efficiently exhaust air out of the back of your case (these designs are preferred if you don't have good airflow through your case).  The non-reference fans (ACX 2.0, Twin Frozr, etc.) are really only needed if you intend to overclock your card and if you have good airflow through your case.

Ryan

No argument, the GTX970 is a stunning card, and very good value for what it is, but is it really three times better then, for example the GTX 750Ti? It certainly wont last three times longer.

No argument, the GTX970 is a stunning card, and very good value for what it is, but is it really three times better then, for example the GTX 750Ti? It certainly wont last three times longer.

Exactly.  Like I said, it depends on requirements. I'm only into flightsim and bookkeeping so the 750Ti is a perfect match. Don't let those FPS claims sway you, all that happens in the CPU with FSX.  I get +30 FPS with my "cheap" GPU.

Dan Downs KCRP

I would also vote for the GTX970 (or 770 if you can still get it), but as an aside,

do you really have 1x8GB RAM?  For that processor, you should have two matching

sticks, I believe.  Either 2X4GB or 2X8GB..

Bert

Thank you guys for your replies. Honestly I didn't expect so many answers supporting the GTX 970! I think I'll be leaning towards that one instead, given the amount of good reviews on it. I don't want to sound stubborn (this is pure ignorance!) but will there be a difference with demanding games like the upcoming GTA V, or other heavy, GPU dependant games?

Second question: how much do both cards cost at your countries? I ask this because since in my country (Colombia) everything has to be imported, prices are always higher than in countries like USA.

Lastly, which manufacturer? Or I would be fine with either? Most "common" cards I've seen, and from which I've heard good reviews are EVGA. I don't really mind that much if it's Super Clocked / noisy or not; all I need it to do is perform its job well and be good looking. This last point could be totally non-sense for some of you, but I really like Nvidia's factory design. That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a different looking one if it has a better cooling system.

Thank you all for your answers, and sorry for asking so many questions, I just wanna make sure because I'll be investing a good amount of money! Cheers.

Asus is a quality supplier as well.

For Canadian prices, check:

www.ncix.com

For U.S. prices:

www.newegg.com

Bert

Thanks Bert, I'll check over there, and I was going to answer your question but forgot: actually I do only have one 8GB RAM memory stick. I got only one back then because of my budget (not even mine, I was using my mom's credit card haha), but I do plan to get at least a second stick in the future to make it 16GB.