Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[08JAN15] Updated P3D Development Information

Mr Randazzo - thank you for the update and well done with persevering!

The rest of you - please stop with this endless price and licensing discussion. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything they dont want to. Cant we try and keep this place more positive? I come on Avsim to release the stresses of day to day life and this constant barrage of criticism at PMDG and others does nothing to help.

C'mon guys, play nice - its friday afterall!!!!

:BigGrin:

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

Agreed, I just want the product and the price, they make flight simming worthwhile in my eyes.  Well done PMDG :)

Brian Crawley

Mr Randazzo - thank you for the update and well done with persevering!

The rest of you - please stop with this endless price and licensing discussion. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything they dont want to. Cant we try and keep this place more positive? I come on Avsim to release the stresses of day to day life and this constant barrage of criticism at PMDG and others does nothing to help.

C'mon guys, play nice - its friday afterall!!!!

:BigGrin:

I could not agree more!

Martin Jancke

Flight Simulation & PMDG Enthusiast

IVAO Pilot (if time permits)

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Great news. Waiting for the P3D Version since I bought the Base Pack in release week one for FSX.

One question. Will this version only work with P3D v2.4 or also in further versions like v2.5? If yes, do we need to update each time LM comes out with a new update? 

Gents-

Since all of you obviously read the forum rules at the top of the forum- I know it is completely unnecessary for me to post this little piece I cut out from the post:

"8) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of PMDG pricing policies, refund policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, and any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator, AVSim moderator or staff member."

(Highlight added by me to help those of you who have trouble focusing beyond the first sentence.)

Why did we enact this rule?  Because during every release we see similar drama from a small group of folks and it is counter productive since the arguments are largely specious.  (Translation for those too lazy to look it up:  "misleadingly attractive but incorrect arguments designed to appear valid through the loose use of facts or unattributed quotes.")

As always, we will set pricing based upon market factors, and we will do so right before the product goes to market.  If you don't like our pricing, then you have the option not to purchase the product.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Great news. Waiting for the P3D Version since I bought the Base Pack in release week one for FSX.
One question. Will this version only work with P3D v2.4 or also in further versions like v2.5? If yes, do we need to update each time LM comes out with a new update? 

Daniel-

I am being intentionally very cautious in how I answer this, because we do not yet have a specific policy with regard to Lockheed Martin's platform improvement process.

For our professional grade products, those customers will be required to maintain an annual service/support contract, and contract's annual subscription fee will give the customer access to all major and minor version changes.

For our non-professional (ie: Not To Be Used For Training) products we still have to identify an avenue that allows individuals customers to take advantage of Locheed Martin updates for P3D.  We don't want you to have to repurchase the whole shooting match if LM moves from v2.4 to v2.5, for example- and most likely we won't even want you to be forced to upgrade for major version updates either, but we need to devise a forward looking strategy that considers both the near term and the long term. 

We have not yet done this....

One of the items being factored into the P3D product line is that **Eventually** Lockheed Martin is going to produce an x64 version- and we want all P3D customers to have this as an option without it being a paid-upgrade path, so this is being factored into the price of our P3D product line.

I hope that answer isn't more confusing than helpful...  I guess to summarize it I would say, "we haven't decided yet- but we are looking to devise an upgrade path that is fair to customers and to PMDG.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

One thing I have not seen mentioned much here is what version of P3D, PMDG products will be compatible with.

I've found that version 1.4 is more friendly with other FSX add on's than version 2 is, for this reason I have stuck to using 1.4 for quite some time, even thou I do own version 2, its currently waiting on me to get motivated and fit the new SSD I brought for it, which currently resides on the kitchen table!

Will PMDG's products work in 1.4 as well, or am I really going to have to get motivated...

Dear Robert,

It is absolutely right and sensible that you charge for upgrades where works on the software is required to keep up with P3D developments.

How can we expect the team to work for free, and remain commercially sustainable?

You don't have a P3D crystal ball. Yes, having to buy the product each time is a little "sharp" - but I can't see common sense allowing that anyway.

The answer lies in compromise and reality, as usual...

Keep up the great work and thanks for your updates.

Thank you for update. Exciting news looking forward to release.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for the excellent news.

Will it be possible to use the PMDG non-professional non-training license with the P3D professional license?

Simon Caplen

I anyway prefer to continue on FSX/:SE jet route instead of joining the P3D holding at 32 bit.

:p0504:

From what I have read about complex aircraft inside P3D - even on the most powerful machines - is not really promising. But I will give it a go as I did with every version of P3D since v1.1.

Will be a different thing when reaching 64 bit... hopefully :wacko:

Robert thanks for the update, one question for you.

Have you or you beta testers noticed a performance difference in P3D? The 777 was a beautiful aircraft in FSX and I've seen from your screen shots it looks even better in P3D but how are the frame rates and VAS usage with DX11?

David Thwaites

Have you or you beta testers noticed a performance difference in P3D? The 777 was a beautiful aircraft in FSX

Exactly this is the question to be asked...

What I have read in the corresponding threads is that it only makes sense to run complex A/Cs within P3D (v2.x) if you reduce the eye candy back to FSX level; and that is a pure contradiction.

Eye candy is probably meanwhile the main reason to migrate to P3D, but you may only enjoy it with the (newest) powerful hardware; maybe a complete new setup. If a complex add on forces you to remove the eye candy in order to regain reasonable frame rates, what should be the reason to do that? :wacko:

P3D is sure still under development, but FSX:SE is now at least "re-mastered" for a wide customer satisfaction and XP10 is 64bit for a long time already...

IMO P3D going 64bit (soon) is the only chance for claiming a unique selling proposition in times of a changed market environment. This way P3D escapes the OOM trap while "maintaining" the widespread legacy MSFS code.

PMDG announced 64 bit add on versions/adaptations in this thread "ASAP" but at the same time imply that the platform migration's second step needs additional effort... :unsure:

One thing that lets me keep the hope in the end:  an "experiment/venture" going astray for reasons known in advance may not only be at the risk of customers. To avoid this "ugly scene" I decided to wait for the 64 bit bus at the 32/64bit crossroads... -_-