Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

ifly 747 v2 - still only 7 or 8 repaints available?

I finally gave in and purchased the ifly 747 v2 for FSX yesterday....  it's a fantastic simulation and a huge step up from their 737NG with it's under-par textures and screen displays.

Just one problem - I am gobsmacked how few repaints are available for this add-on.

As well as the British Airways and Virgin Atlantic liveries that came with it, I've been able to find about 4 other US operators, a Lufthansa, Air France and KLM and that's about it.

I've checked the AVSIM file library (there are about 5 on there), ify's own site (not much help at all, as just a 'request thread') and the Flight 1 file library (about 6; mostly the same as those on AVSIM).

What I was really looking for was some cargo operator repaints - yes I know, it's not a -400F :smile: but I was hoping nevertheless there were some depicted cargo repaints, like Atlas Air or similar.

Am I missing something?

Is there some hidden recepticle where all the ifly 747 repaints are hiding? .... or are there just not many out there?

Tks in advance

• Upvote 1

Check the Flight1 library as well.

http://library.flight1.net/?cat=37

Mentioned in the first post...   but thanks.

There's also a very nice Transaero RR repaint at avsim.su.

Here's a link to the link: http://ifly.flight1.net/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=12942&title=transaero-747400-rr-available

Yes, I am also disappointed with how few repainters went for this bird.

Maybe it's time to learn some Photoshop skills? I'll consider it. :wink:

Actually that repaint was on my list !!!     - so many thanks. :smile:

I'm surprised that Colin has not flooded the net with paints, as he did with the 737.  He's one of the most prolific painters out there, and I hope the reason he hasn't moved all of his repaints from one of his previous projects is because the paintkit, texture maps are hard to work with.

I'm a little puzzled myself why more paints are not our there.  I don't plan to buy the plane, but if I did (and the paintkit/texture maps were good), I'm sure I'd have a few paints out there.

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

It took a while for the paintkit to arrive but there is a lack of liveries around sadly.

• Upvote 1

From EGFF to YSSY

As an aside from my OP, if anyone is sitting on the fence about the plane itself, it's really fantastic.  The VC is a million times better than their old 737NG, sounds are divine.  FDE is fantastic ......

.........but......

my word, iFly really need to learn how to optimize their software better.  It's very inconsistant with frame rates and smoothness.   They start off really high, then when you boot up some systems, things are generally ok (high FPS) but with some sporadic FPS drops, that make things stuttery.  Then when you start engines;  again, some nasty intermittant drops that spoil things.

You also have the FPS dropping whenever your mouse cursor is on the screen.  An issue I have only every experienced with iFly addons.

By the time you add some complex scenery and even medium settings, weather, and a little AI, it drags down to some very low frames on my system.  :(

The most annoying thing, is that there is no performance tuning available whatsoever with the aircraft.    No ability to set refresh times for the screens, or anything else that could help performance.

It's a beautiful plane but for me, one that I can only enjoy out of default airports, with a mild weather scheme, no AI, and no or sparse autogen.     If I make all those comprimises, it flies beautifully with great frames ...... but pretty major comprimises huh?

I thought the Hotfix recently released solved a few of these issues? Hope they are addressed in their promised SP1 which is due after the P3D version comes put, it certainly looks like a promising add on.

my word, iFly really need to learn how to optimize their software better. It's very inconsistant with frame rates and smoothness. They start off really high, then when you boot up some systems, things are generally ok (high FPS) but with some sporadic FPS drops, that make things stuttery. Then when you start engines; again, some nasty intermittant drops that spoil things.

You also have the FPS dropping whenever your mouse cursor is on the screen. An issue I have only every experienced with iFly addons.

By the time you add some complex scenery and even medium settings, weather, and a little AI, it drags down to some very low frames on my system. :(

The most annoying thing, is that there is no performance tuning available whatsoever with the aircraft. No ability to set refresh times for the screens, or anything else that could help performance.

It's a beautiful plane but for me, one that I can only enjoy out of default airports, with a mild weather scheme, no AI, and no or sparse autogen. If I make all those comprimises, it flies beautifully with great frames ...... but pretty major comprimises huh?

As someone that uses the iFly 737 (in P3D) this is what I was afraid of hearing (they seem to be taking their sweet time on their P3D release). I'm also hoping they issue a service pack for the 737 that uses some spruced up gauges but I think it's safe to say that will never come.  Having only ever used P3D, I can say I have zero experience with PMDG so I'm curious if other complex aircraft are performance hogs in the same manner...

iFly really need to learn how to optimize their software better.  It's very inconsistant with frame rates and smoothness.

Even though I am a big fan of 747 and an all-time supporter of iFly (see my current signature banner for instance), I have to agree.

I myself find it hard to belive but... I have hangared this addon for the time being and fly NGX, 777, AS A32X and MJS Q400 again.

I also find its performance unacceptable. Where I have 20-25 FPS in other complex VC's at large busy airports with RW WX, with iFly they will be around 12-18 FPS and sometimes drop to single digits! This is especially visible after arriving at the destination airport. I remember my bad experience when I bought iFly 744 but also FB KDEN at the Black Friday sale. I flew the 744 into Denver and after landing I was taxiing with 4-9 FPS. I initially thought the scenery must be a performance killer, so I switched into PMDG 777 for a check. And the FPS in T7 appeared to be around 15-25, which for me is acceptable at large airports.

Just to be able to fly the iFly 744, I completely gave up on AI traffic, first time ever (I am an AI geek, passionately compiling my own traffic for years)! It is hard to fly empty airports but I am getting used to it. But still I ocassionally saw sigle digit frames with iFly. So I have parked it in the hangar and enjoy performance back with the above mentioned addon planes.

All that was clear to me before the 30-day period ended at the Flight1 store. But I decided not to ask for a refund, as I want to support professional projects for FSX. Look, I love 747 and I generally like this addon a lot, its visuals and its system complexity. I sincerely hope the Service Pack will improve the performance.

I am sorry for going a bit off topic. On the other hand, I am not the only person around praising some features of this this addon but complaining about its bad performance. So maybe (!), there aren't many repaints around as folks do not decide to buy this bird due to the performance problems they are reading about.

If anyone is interested, I've added a (slightly) more comprehensive review for the iFly 747, in the AVSIM Member's Review section;-

http://forum.avsim.net/index.php?app=reviews&module=reviews&section=reviews&do=view&id=23

The summary for me is;  exquisitive aircraft but for me too, 'hangered' until they release a SP1 that addresses the performance issues.   I installed the Hotfix but although it fixes some bugs, it does nothing for performance;  in my experience any way.

Craig,

A nice review indeed, thanks a lot!

BTW, yes, PFPX, FSBuild and FSCommander do support iFly flightplans format at the moment.

That's right, hotfix1 did not adress performance. I have high hopes it may change with a full service pack.

I hope so too Robert.   I really do not want to take the F1 refund for this aircraft.... but unless there's a clear intention from iFly to address performance, in the SP1, I will have no choice.

Strange that I am not really having bad FPS issues in the plane. I flew the other day from KDEN to KPHX (both FB) and didnt experience any noticeable FPS loss. On the ground at KDEN I was always over 20 FPS and the same at KPHX on landing.

From EGFF to YSSY