Sign in to follow this  
FLighT01

GTN 750/650

....This thing is a game changer for sure!

Sorry I can't agree.  I find the 750GTN every bit as clunky as the RXP530 although it's in colour and has nicer buttons.

Every time I attempt to activate an approach I get the dreaded SUSP warning and the plane goes into a hold. 

I asked about this on the Flight1 forum and was told something about being positioned south of an imaginery line before the initial fix in the approach. Otherwise the Garmin cannot find the fix and it goes into SUSP. There seems to be no way out of SUSP either. 

I never had this problem with the Reality version.

Buy this by all means but be prepared for bumps along the way. 

Supporter.png

John

Never had that problem.

What approach are you flying? Are you loading the approach with vectors to final or via an IAF?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

There seems to be no way out of SUSP either. 

You just click the SUSP button to get out of it.

As for 'clunkiness', you can't really believe a GNS type is better?

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Ebs I cannot get your GTN 750 video link to work.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Ebs I cannot get your GTN 750 video link to work.

I made the original video earlier in the thread based on the fact that you could buy a more complete version of the trainer from Garmin containing World Wide Terrain data. After the v5 Garmin Trainer release, it wasn't necessary as the world wide terrain was now included as default in the trainer. A little later I made a better video which is now linked to from the F1GTN product page.

Neil Andrews.

Great thread and I have really learned alot about my GTN 750 from it. I am very interested in the idea of adding flight plans made in the trainer and transfered to the sim version and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in sending me some route plans made this way?

I have not yet got onto the detailed workings or understandings of how and why and what to put for all the data. Things like airways, departures, approaches and other even more complex things such as Sid and Stars.

I would love to be able to work this thing to it's fullest but for now it would be great to have a few interesting flight plans I could use.

I also have the Duke Turbine with two GTN 750's and must say that is a package made in sim heaven and plan on buying the duke piston model when they get the 750 integrated.

Captureweather1_zpsl4yzsp4b.jpg

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

it would be great to have a few interesting flight plans I could use.

warbirds. Make sure you have a look at my video starting from 8:32

Neil Andrews.

Yes I should PM you about that video, it was very good and informative but I need something that will start me from the beginning.

For instance I have my trainer open now practicing making a flight plan from Iowa City to Cedar Rapids ( I live near Cedar Rapids and found it interesting that you picked Fort Dodge, which by the way Orbx has on their list of free upgraded airports),,,anyway I am sitting here looking at this screen that ask which Airway I want to load for KCID (Cedar Rapids). It gives me a nice list but I have no clue which Airway to load - and the list goes on.

Maybe you cannot teach and old dog new tricks.

And no one is curious on how I got weather into the 750?

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I'd recommended learning about navigation first

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com

Airways don't go in between airports, they go between VOR's and intersections

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

And no one is curious on how I got weather into the 750?

I'll bite... Photoshop?

Bert

Thanks but am too old to learn theory and all. I really want to just know how to find out certain aspects of the gps flight such as approaches, airways, departures and other exotic things to keep me awake at night. I would like a tutorial that says do this, then this, they add that, then hit this button.

I did figure out, I think, approaches. When the gps ask which approach you want to use I went to the chart section and there it was in the chart approach area. So I inserted that and then it said something about vectors so I said, sure lets have 'em. Ok then the vectors put me right in line with the approach runway I picked,,,,but now my magenta line does not include the vectors so I assume I load or activate them when close?

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I need something that will start me from the beginning.

Here's one of my favorites, lol:

Start a flight at KSEZ, KFLG, KCHD, KDVT or somewhere in the general Phoenix area (those 4 are FTXG freeware airports). In the GTN make a simple flight plan between the selected departure airport and KAPA (Centennial, Denver, also an FTXG arpt). For now don't worry about a departure or any jetways, just start flying. Depart and climb to altitude, get yourself on NAV so the autopilot is following the pink line in the GTN.

When you get in the vicinity of Durango, CO (KDRO) or thereabouts go into the flight plan page, click on KAPA and "Load procedures". Select the LARKS7 arrival with the HBU transition, click "Load arrival" and the airplane should turn direct to HBU and then proceed through HICKY, TERRO, MURFE, and LARKS. View the chart to get you're altitudes, chart says you should be descending to 15000' between MURFE and LARKS for example. You can use the VCALC function to plan for 15000' at LARKS.

When you're between MURFE and LARKS an imaginary controller will clear you for the approach because (1) it shortcuts you into KAPA and (2) he doesn't want you flying the full arrival and cluttering up KDEN's airspace anyway. Click KAPA again, load procedures, but this time select the RNAV Y 35R LPV approach with the BEJCO transition. Hit Activate Approach and the airplane should bail off the arrival and go direct to BEJCO to begin the approach, check the chart, it says you should be at 9000' between BEJCO and FIRPI and 8000' between FIRPI and JIDOG, you must control these altitudes manually with the autopilot. At JIDOG you should see the glideslope needle become active so hit "APR" on the autopilot, hold 8000' and the autopilot should begin a shallow descent when you're on the glideslope just like flying a default ILS, start slowing down, drop the gear, flaps, etc. The GTN should fly you right onto the runway at KAPA.

My favorite "check ride"..

Start at KTPA, and select Direct-to KTPA,  Activate.

Then go to Procedures, Approach, select RNAV 01L.

Choose "via PIE transition".  (not vectors)

Fly at 2000 feet AGL and let the autopilot fly you in NAV mode,

first to PIE, then to FITPA, and from there to Runway 01L.

When the glideslope becomes active on the HSI (and the GTN indicates LPV),

switch the autopilot to APR mode and it will descend to the runway for a landing.

Switch off the autopilot when at 300 ft AGL and hand fly the rest.

Bert

Thanks Jim, I did find out that if I loaded vectors and they don't show near the magenta line I just have to activate approach when I get close and it worked, put me right in line with runway.

Now tomorrow when I get home I am going to try to follow your plan.

Bert I just saw your plan and will try that as well. This is the way I learn because when I start reading manuals I get a bit sleepy after about ten minutes. My friends (the ones that are left) say it is old age and my 71 years (almost 20 doing this stuff) are catching up with me.

Funny thing I have been building planes and painting planes for this old sim and it's predecessors for a very long time, mostly vintage stuff but recently I got a very strange urge to go high tech so I bought the Turbine Duke V 2 and now I am getting up early each day(is 4 am too early?) and searching and learning.

After all these years I never got to this site and so now that I am here I am very content and pleased at the people that populate it. I still am into vintage and do a bit of texture work for GAS but this Duke has me by the, well you know, and I am determined to learn all I can about how to use it realistically but keep it fun at the same time.

Thanks for this site and for the help guys. Got to walk the dog now as she is sitting by the door giving me that look.

Thanks again,

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Thanks but am too old to learn theory and all. I really want to just know how to find out certain aspects of the gps flight such as approaches, airways, departures and other exotic things to keep me awake at night. I would like a tutorial that says do this, then this, they add that, then hit this button.

With respect, you say that you don't want to learn theory and then go on to say you want to learn theory! Admittedly, the site Ryan posted is a bit dry but there's good info in there. You're just missing out on some fundamentals. It sounds like you may have the VFR stuff down, but it's the IFR stuff that you're wanting to learn.

As a side note, planning a flight from KIOW to KCID (Iowa to Cedar Rapids) isn't worth planning a flight for in the GTN. There's only 32 miles between them. Just enter KCID as your final waypoint and fly direct.

Think of the flight in four parts. Departure, Cruise, Arrival and Approach.
I'm going to use Flightaware as an example (it's even a real world duke flight)

poke around on that site in future for inspiration. For most flights, you'll get the route as filed. 

The flight was from Scottsdale (KSDL) to Chino (KCNO) and the route in this case was

MRRIC1 PXR V16 PSP SETER3

If it looks like rubbish now, don't worry. After a while you'll learn to decode these just by looking at them.

Remember the Four parts. 
  1. Departure. In this case, the Standard Instrument Departure (SID) at Scottsdale is MRRIC1 which will get you to PXR
  2. Cruise. you'll cruise between the PXR and PSP intersections. The V16 is the Victor airway. If you enter this airway in the GTN, you'll see multiple waypoints entered automatically between PXR and PSP
  3. Arrival. The Standard Terminal Arrival Route (STAR) for Chino is SETER3.
  4. Approach. Your approach will effectively begin at PSP. After that, you'll need to set up the approach (There's probably an ILS approach at KCNO that you can fly with the GTN)

That's the absolute basics. You're never too old to learn ;) You're gonna *love* learning how to read the charts!

Neil Andrews.