Sign in to follow this  
FLighT01

GTN 750/650

Hi Bill,

So, it appears that worldwide terrain data is still not included....unless you can confirm otherwise after downloading it? It doesn't affect me as I already have current nav data and I don't fly outside of the U.S, but others might like to know. Good find, though.

I guess that's a leftover from the old version. This is from the feature list on the same page:

High resolution terrain maps and TAWS-B audible alerts, now with worldwide terrain data

But as I said before: I've tested it and therefore can verify that the worldwide terrain database is included. And it's also newer as the file from the Garmin DVD that I've used so far :smile:

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

OK, as Tim pointed out, the new version is incompatible with the F1GTN, (the GPS simply doesn't start up in the sim) But, this is what I did...When you run the new Garmin installer, it extracts all the files to your windows temp directory (type '%temp%' into a windows explorer address bar to get to it, it should be the most recent folder in there) inside you'll find the updated Navdata (1405!) and the full terrain database. Yes, the FULL terrain database that some of us paid about $30 for is now free. I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

I've just noticed a couple of minor things with the trainer, the new software has a 'scheduled message' utility which may be useful for us simmers. a few different 'ownship' icons, full set of units for fuel etc. (I think it was previously just LBS or Gals. Nice to see KGs making an appearance. Generally a nice update. Unfortunately the 'checklist' feature isn't available in this particular version

I'm pretty sure Flight1 *must* update their gauges now, as a pre-requisite is the trainer software from Garmin and the only version available is the new v5. Here's hoping it's a timely upgrade.

In the meantime, enjoy your free terrain and updated data :)

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Hi Bill,

I guess that's a leftover from the old version. This is from the feature list on the same page:

But as I said before: I've tested it and therefore can verify that the worldwide terrain database is included. And it's also newer as the file from the Garmin DVD that I've used so far :smile:

Cool, thanks Tim. Guess they got sloppy with the feature list...and minus 10 points to me for not reading the whole thing ;)

I'm pretty sure Flight1 *must* update their gauges now, as a pre-requisite is the trainer software from Garmin and the only version available is the new v5. Here's hoping it's a timely upgrade.

In the meantime, enjoy your free terrain and updated data :)

I thought the same thing, but I think F1 has a link to the old version's installer hosted on their site now.

Bill

Intel Core i7 8700-K (OC'd)  |  Noctua D-15S Cooler  |  Asus ROG Strix Z-370E Motherboard  |  G-Skill Trident-Z 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM  |  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD  |  EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card x 2 (2-Way SLI)  |  Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Case upgraded with Noctua fans  |  Corsair 1000W Power Supply  |  MSI - Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor x 3  |  Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Cool, thanks Tim. Guess they got sloppy with the feature list...and minus 10 points to me for not reading the whole thing ;)

I thought the same thing, but I think F1 has a link to the old version's installer hosted on their site now.

You're absolutely right with the direct link to the v2 trainer on the F1 site. I hadn't noticed that, oh well!.

BTW, an easier solution for the terrain and updated navdata is to simply open the downloaded EXE in a program like 7-Zip (or winrar might do it too) The new navdata is cool, a lot of LPV approaches in Europe are now available

Neil Andrews.

I'm pretty sure Flight1 *must* update their gauges now..... Here's hoping it's a timely upgrade.

Flight1 is having a serious look at this as we speak, and I'd suggest you give them a chance to figure out how, and when they can deliver this capability.

Bert

Flight1 is having a serious look at this as we speak, and I'd suggest you give them a chance to figure out how, and when they can deliver this capability.

Good to know, thanks!

Neil Andrews.

I've been playing with this myself and it appears those flight plans are stored in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GTN Trainer in the GTN*nonvol folders. In my case anyway it appears that GTN1nonvol contains data from the actual Garmin trainer, GTN2nonvol contains data from the in-sim GTN750, and GTN4nonvol contains data from the in-sim GTN650. What I did is made a couple flight plans and saved them using the standalone Garmin trainer, then I closed the trainer and copied the contents of GTN1nonvol into the other 2 folders overwriting the existing files. When I loaded the aircraft into the sim the new flight plans I'd made were available in the catalog area of both units and I simply loaded them and flew.

I don't know if there could be ramifications, I can say that it worked in this case and I flew one of the flightplans I'd made in the sim without any problems and everything seemed normal. I also saw a post on the GTN forum where the developer suggested deleting those two folders to solve an unrelated problem another user was having so I figured worst case scenario I'd delete them if anything went wrong and start over. I did make a thorough backup of the entire ProgramData\Garmin folder before messing with anything and I'd suggest anyone attempting this should do the same just in case.

That said, my left engine blew up enroute on that flight and everything literally went to KRAP so be warned! :smile:

Hah! Rapid City arrival! :lol: (I love me a good ICAO double entendre every now and then)  

Great idea though about the trainer. I've been exploring these folders too but couldn't figure out what went where. I don't have the 650, but it'd be nice if my dual 750s could atleast share flight plans. 

Thanks Jim,

I enjoy creating the plan on Skyvector, then manually entering the plan in game, I usually just enter the SID or the first few waypoints, takeoff, then enter the rest of the plan enroute. With the GTN's Airway feature, it doesn't take too long to enter a plan into the GTN. I usually enter the same plan into the 650, so I can get more data on the route, such as VNAV, preview alternate routes/approaches...etc. Tho it will be nice if/when F1 gets crossfill working.

Cheers

TJ

Tim,

What you mean by "The new version is not compatible with Flight1's GTN's"?

(I dont´own the GTN750...yet).

Thanks

EDIT: Sorry, I read now Ebs´ explanation above. Please discard this post.

Edmundo Azevedo

Well thanks for the info. Downloaded the latest trainer installation file, (Do NOT INSTALL as ver 5 is not working with flight1 GTN750/650), extracted the data from the exe file, added to the garmin files, and whalla, all working..! all updated, and I have terrain data for "WHOLE WORLD".

It really is a bummer for those that bought the trainer CD though to get the terrain data, as that data is now basically available for free..!

absolute awesome now..!

Are the FliteCharts in the new trainer updated? Just curious if there is a way to transfer those as well without a full installation (or at all).

Bill

Intel Core i7 8700-K (OC'd)  |  Noctua D-15S Cooler  |  Asus ROG Strix Z-370E Motherboard  |  G-Skill Trident-Z 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM  |  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD  |  EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card x 2 (2-Way SLI)  |  Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Case upgraded with Noctua fans  |  Corsair 1000W Power Supply  |  MSI - Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor x 3  |  Windows 10 Home 64-bit

The Flitecharts seem to be packaged into a binary file called 'card' now. I'm assuming this emulates the sd card of the real device. As such, it's not possible to upgrade the charts themselves. Just the navdata and terrain.

When did this trainer get released exactly? The Garmin site states 'as of May 29, 2014' ?

I just got a message stating that Flight1 are working on an upgrade to support the new trainer version but they say it's not an easy task as much as changed, so no timeframe on when it'll be released.

Neil Andrews.

added to the garmin files, and whalla, all working..! all updated, and I have terrain data for "WHOLE WORLD".

Does the terrain.odb file contain the data for the entire world now? I'm just wondering because it's only slightly larger than the version from the old GTN Trainer Lite and still only 4.4 Mb in size. Or which other file has to be copied over to get the full terrain database?

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Or which other file has to be copied over to get the full terrain database?

Here is a more detailed description :smile: :

First of all: Be aware that you are doing this at your own risk! No one can be held responsible if something goes wrong and you might damage your Garmin GTN PC Trainer Lite installation. Also, Flight1 will not provide support for any of these modifications!

1) Download the GTNPCTrainerLite_5001.exe from HERE

2) Open the file with - thanks to Ebs for the tip - 7-Zip or Winrar and browse to 'Trainer' -> 'CommonAppData' -> 'Garmin' -> 'GTN Trainer' -> 'db'

3) Copy the following five files to 'C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GTN Trainer\db' and overwrite the existing ones (make a backup first!):

006-D2659-00.dat

AVTN_WW_DB.bin

bmap.bin

safetaxi.bin

terrain.odb

4) Finally rename the file '006-D2659-00.dat' to 'AMRN.dat' (make a backup of the old file!).

That's it!

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Does the terrain.odb file contain the data for the entire world now? I'm just wondering because it's only slightly larger than the version from the old GTN Trainer Lite and still only 4.4 Mb in size. Or which other file has to be copied over to get the full terrain database?

Yes indeed, It now include the WHOLE WORLD.!

see timm-hh post for details