Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

Help - Saitek Modal Switch with new 'Shifted' keys

Hi all,

I just upgraded from 2.0 to 2.5.7 and trying to figure out the new (and very cool) un-shifted, shifted-1, and shifted-2 keys in Linda.  These sound perfect for my Saitek yoke which has a three-position modal switch.  I'm trying to make all the buttons on both the yoke and the Saitek throttle-quad to be three independent complete sets of buttons, depending on the position of the modal switch.  But I can't figure-out the logic and placement of the 'shifted keys'.

The yoke's modal switch shows up as:

switch left - button 22

switch center - button 23

switch right - button 24

Editing the default FSX profile so the modal switch works with all profiles, I tried assigning the following to all three shifted pages (to no avail):

Button 22  On Press - unshifted  Repeat - unshifted

Button 23  On Press - shifted-1   Repeat - shifted-1

Button 24  On Press - shifted-2   Repeat - shifted-2

Does anyone know how to make this work for all the yoke and throttle-quad buttons?  If I understand the manual correctly, Is this considered 'Global' mode?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Hi Al

The new shifted modes are latching commands and only apply to the device they are assigned, ie. in your case the Yoke not to the Throttle Quadrant. They are cancelled by selecting one of the other modes.

To program your mode switch you should only set the OnPress values:

Button 22 = OnPress-UNSHIFTED, OnRepeat-none, OnRelease-none
Button 23 = OnPress-SHIFTED_ONE, OnRepeat-none, OnRelease-none
Button 24 = OnPress-SHIFTED_TWO, OnRepeat-none, OnRelease-none

For the CH Eclipse Yoke, use the 3-position switch (buttons 24/25/26).

NOTE: You need to make these same assignments on all 3 pages (normal, Shift 1 and Shift 2) so that they are always available. You can simply do this by selecting the option at the very top of the pop-up menu to copy assignments from the unshifted page.

The SHIFTED_ONE has the same effect on temporary LOCAL_SHIFT for the device used and the latching GLOBAL SHIFT except that GLOBAL_SHIFT affects all devices.

LOCAL SHIFT requires both OnPress and OnRepeat to work with a button (ie. joystick trigger).

OnPress-LOCAL_SHIFT, OnRepeat-LOCAL_SHIFT, OnRepeat-none

GLOBAL SHIFT requires the OnPress to be operated a second time.

OnPress-GLOBAL_SHIFT, OnRepeat-none, OnRelease-none

To make this a temporary selection it should be assigned to the OnPress and OnRelease.

OnPress-GLOBAL_SHIFT, OnRepeat-none, OnRelease-GLOBAL_SHIFT

Edited by ScotFlieger
Formatted & note added

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

I have the same yoke and believe your setup may work better if you change to:

Button 22= shift 1  on release= shift off

Button 23= shift off

button 24= shift 2  on release= shift off

Otherwise you are going through both shift cycles every time you move from one to the other.

You do not need the Repeat entries at all.

Looking at LINDA joystick you can choose three different  commands for a button.

eg: unshifted mode-press button 14 and enter a command. If you then tick the shift 1 the entry for button 14 disappears. press button 14 and choose another command.

same routine for shift 2

I really like the shift feature but it did not work properly in earlier versions so I stopped using it. Haven't really had time to use it again now that it is fixed. Mostly I just use the "on release" feature because it is so simple.

OOPS-----Scott got it while I was still typing.

He knows better than I so follow his lead. :)

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Thanks OldFlyBoy. You reminded me that I needed to add an extra note to my post above.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Scot, I'm having an issue with the shifting. I'm using version 2.5.7. What I'm trying to do is have a button on my CH Flight sim yoke (left trigger button) be a shift key for all other joysticks.  This works fine if I "toggle" global shift, but what I'm looking to do is have the other joysticks also shifted while holding down the trigger, and not shifted while I'm not holding it down. You seemed to describe how to do that in your edited post, but no matter what combination of global or shift(1) or shift(2) I try, I can't get this to work.  I've tried different combos of repeat, release, neither of those, unshifted, etc., but can't make it work. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

EDIT: It appears that "on release" has no effect on Global shift. For example, with the trigger I'm trying to use, I set "on press" to toggle the smoking sign, then I set "on release" to also toggle the smoking sign. Works as I would think it should, even pressing the button rapidly in succession, the smoking sign always flips up then immediately back to the original position. If I press and hold the trigger, it flips once and stays until I release (as I would expect), even if I push another button on another joystick while holding it (and the function on the other joystick works while the trigger on the yoke is being held). It seems that Global shift is only toggling with the on press function. Any way to change this?

Mark Hager

Hi Wreak1463

As discussed today on another thread, the new UNSHIFTED/SHIFT1/SHIFT2 feature and the LOCAL SHIFT only applies to a single device and was designed around the CH Eclipse Yoke and Saitek Yoke. They do not affect other device/joystick.

The GLOBAL SHIFT in 2.5.7 is a latching function and applies to all devices/joysticks. It allows 2 functions - UNSHIFTED and SHIFT 1. If you use it with the Trigger as you describe, it can be used in 2 ways:

1. GLOBAL_SHIFT - OnPress - a single operation of the trigger would switch to SHIFT1, a second operation of the trigger would revert to UNSHIFTED.
  2. GLOBAL_SHIFT - OnPress and OnRelease - operating and holding the trigger will switch it to SHIFT1 mode, releasing the trigger with revert to UNSHIFTED.

I have mine set up in the second way using the front button on my CH Yoke left handle. The OnPress toggles the GLOBAL on (the first press) and the OnRelease toggles the GLOBAL off (acting as a second button press). Because there is no OnRepeat then only the first press is action until the trigger is released.

I hope that helps.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

I can't seem to get it to work in any way other than the way #1 you described. I've tried it on different buttons to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the "trigger" button on my CH yoke.  So for button one, on press, I have Global shift. Button one, on release, I have global shift, but it still operates as your way #1. Pressing it a second time "unshifts" the controllers.  I've tried assigning the same thing for button one on the shifted 1 page and unshifted page, then I tried it with button one set up this way on all three pages, still operates as way #1. I've also tried all those setups with global shift set up "on repeat" also, still operates like way #1.

I'd really like it to operate as your way #2, but I can only seem to do that with local shift.

Sorry if I'm being a pain, but I would like to be able to keep a hand on the yoke to hand fly, while shifting what the other joysticks do (and be sure that they aren't shifted if I'm not holding the trigger).

Thanks for your help, and thanks for the program!

-Wreck

Mark Hager

Hi wreck1463

Having now sat at my computer I can confirm that you are correct and that the GLOBAL shift is not working in set up 2. The status of the GLOBAL SHIFT can be monitored on the Console. There also appears to be an issue with the LOCAL SHIFT.

My apologises for the misleading information. I will investigate.

Edited by ScotFlieger
Added LOCAL SHIFT comment

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Hi Wreak

I have identified the source of the problem with GLOBAL SHIFT and issued a patch on the Download subforum here.

As a result please ignore my explanation of how the GLOBAL and LOCAL SHIFT operate above. Both shift functions now latch on with a single OnPress. If you require a shift only while the button is held pressed then an explicit OnRelease assignment is required to cancel it.

Thank you for reporting the problem and apologises again for the misinformation I gave you.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Thank you VERY much for your help, the patch works as advertised.  I wish I got this kind of customer service everywhere! This is an excellent program, and it's made me much happier being able to use my multiple joysticks on my complex addons.

Thanks again,

Wreck

Mark Hager

You are most welcome. Keep watching the Forum for updates and information.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Sorry guys, between the discussion above and the redesign of 2.6.3, I'm still confused.  :help:

So, with my Saitek Cessna yoke and Throttle-Quad, the three position mode switch (left=btn 23, center=btn-24, and right=btn-25), is it now possible to shift both the yoke and the throttle-quad buttons as a complete set via the mode button?  Can I have three sets of buttons, btn23=unshifted (my default mode), 24=shifted1, and 25=shifted2 somehow?  How does the bottom-right checkbox "shift all devices globally" play into the equation?

I did look around for some updated notes on the subject to no avail, so far.  Thanks in advance... :drinks:  

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

So, with my Saitek Cessna yoke and Throttle-Quad, the three position mode switch (left=btn 23, center=btn-24, and right=btn-25), is it now possible to shift both the yoke and the throttle-quad buttons as a complete set via the mode button?  Can I have three sets of buttons, btn23=unshifted (my default mode), 24=shifted1, and 25=shifted2 somehow?  How does the bottom-right checkbox "shift all devices globally" play into the equation?

Hi Al

I have included what I hoped was a full description of the multi-shift functions in the 2.6.3 release notes.  Always a good read.

The answer to your question is yes. You need to assign buttons 23, 24 and 25 to UNSHIFTED, SHIFTED ONE and SHIFTED TWO.  If you want these shift states only to apply to the your Yoke then leave the global checkbox unticked. If you want all your devices (yoke and throttle) to respond to the shifted states then tick the global checkbox and restart LINDA. Now you need to assign your required functions to buttons in each shift level selecting the Radio Buttons to each level in turn.

There is one important point to bear in mind. If you want an important button to have the same assignment in each shifted level you need to assign the same function to each level using the copy assignment option (top lines of menu). I sometimes forget that I have selected shift and wonder why a button is not doing what I want it to do.

I suggest you try some experimentation to see what it can do for you.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Ah, perfect!  I must admit, I looked through the 2.6.2 release notes, not 2.6.3 (yet), did you just add them?  LOL...

Time to go RTFM...    :lol:

Much appreciated!  :Hug:

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE