Sign in to follow this  
smakar

Kudos to DoveTail and Vendors

I just wanted to express thanks to DoveTail and ALL of the vendors that have been working so hard on the FSX Steam Edition.

I had opened a ticket with Flight1 this morning regarding issues I've started to experience with their GTN 750 (which I absolutely LOVE), and I was shocked when I found a response from them within a couple of hours (a problem they are aware of and working on).

It suddenly dawned on me just how hard so many people are working on for products that bring HOURS of entertainment! From DoveTail who, contrary to early rumors, did not just "re-package" a product but have made great improvements (from my own experience), to all of the other vendors scrambling to make changes as needed.

It's a daunting task for everyone involved, but BOY is it worth it!!!

Agreed....I'm seeing stability improvements...but others are seeing stability issues...go figure. With all of the add-ons that are different per person, it's no wonder there are different experiences with fsx:se .

Wait until the 4th or 5th update cycle that breaks everything and let's see what the vendors think of a moving programming target.

Wait until the 4th or 5th update cycle that breaks everything and let's see what the vendors think of a moving programming target.

XPlane is this way since it´s born. I think the vendors can live with that.

Flavio Cardoso - P3Dv4.5 HF3

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

Aside from programs such as FSUIPC, the only thing "broken" is the sub-version number. When developers rely on a specific sub-version number for their installers, these problems will occur.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yeah, it's almost like being in the ARMA community. Except mod developers work for free, and still update their works in a timely fashion. I have no sympathy for those get paid to do it.

Actually it's changing the simconnect version that's going to mess with programs after their release, nothing to do with Installers relying on anything. But with good software, which is constantly updated and serviced, there's not going to be any more hardship than there's been at any other stage anyway.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

It's kind of a special situation with these addons. When a company makes a W7 product and an SP comes along they are forced to update in order to meet the promises they made for functionality and compatibility.

But I don't think add-on developers have an obligation to re-code all their products every time Microsoft decides to sell a license for the FSX code to a third party who inevitably changes the code and re-releases it under a new name. It's wonderful that we have developers willing to adapt so quickly to the flight sim market. But we should also be realistic about our expectations and the burden of responsibility we put on developers. Compatability specs don't come with crystal balls.

Actually it's changing the simconnect version that's going to mess with programs after their release, nothing to do with Installers relying on anything. But with good software, which is constantly updated and serviced, there's not going to be any more hardship than there's been at any other stage anyway.

Easiest way out of that SimConnect mess is just to get the user to install the required FSX version -- all three are supplied in the Steam FSX install, in the SDK folder, and they all work okay for those applications which already use those versions in FSX.

Maybe the vendors of such product can get the relevant SimConnect.msi run automatically at installation time. If they can derive the FSX-SE install path, then they can readily find the SimConnect legacy interfaces.

Another alternative would be to persuade DTG to make the Steam update process install the legacy SimConnects too. Then compatibility would be automatic.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

XPlane is this way since it´s born. I think the vendors can live with that.

If this is true, why do so many vendors shy away from X Plane?

Actually it's changing the simconnect version that's going to mess with programs after their release, nothing to do with Installers relying on anything.

While that will have some effect, the "sub-version" number is read to determine whether the user is trying to install in FSX, FSX:SE, P3Dv1 or P3Dv2 as part of the "DRM"...

Personally, I don't bother digging that deep. The .exe name and major version number is more than sufficient information.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

PMDG

Which planes can I purchase right now, from them, for XPX?

Let's not side track this.

I was just wondering out loud that IF the SE target keeps moving how long will "the love" last? That's it and no idea if it will even be true or not. And some others have posted on how the target may be kept in sight.

...and major version number is more than sufficient...

Same here.

...SimConnect mess...

Keeping us busy.

...target keeps moving...

The way it's going to be...

Best regards.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com