Sign in to follow this  
RotorWash

Yoke and Stabiliser Please.

Hi All

Could somebody please confirm wheather the yoke and Stabiliser rest in a pitch down position, cold and dark, and gradually self centre with increased ground speed. Is this realistic (I am aware that some G/A, if not most, do)? This is how my default msffb2 and fsforce react ?

Cheers

Ivan

Ivan

As far as I know, that's not the way a 737 behaves at all. The controls are centered from the start.

As far as I know, that's not the way a 737 behaves at all. The controls are centered from the start.

I didn't think so, I installed a 737 profile profile that has centered controlls, the default jet profiles in fsforce are all pitch down as per g/a aircraft, hence my question.

Cheers

P.S. if anybody has a NGX profile for fsforce, I'll be happy to hear from you (msffb2 profile please)

Without hydraulic pressure the mass of the elevator will tend to push the column nose down. The NGX controls don't do this, with hyds off they barely move.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Most planes have a centered yoke with artificial feel and centering springs that keeps the yoke centered this also protects against gusts or with hydro snubbing. The flight controls will either be connected mechanically with hydro boost, hydraulically or both. The rigid springs will keep the yoke centered and give you the feel of a load even without hydro power. On the other hand, some yokes and rudders are free flow without the centering springs. They basically rely on hydro for centering. The C-141s and DC10s I flew had centering springs. You could not fly it without hydro power. The old C141 had emergency Tabs on the flight controls that were hydro powered. The DC10 had redundancy to ensure that at least one part of each flight control would move if down to one hydro system. The Gulf streams on the other hand are free flowing. The yoke lays forward without power due to the weight of the elevator. The controls move easily without hydro power. Because of this, we apply the gust lock after shut down because the yoke and pedals whip around on windy days. Painful if the yoke suddenly whips back in your face while working the FMS. As the engine starts, the rudders and ailerons snap to position but the yoke lays forward due to the elevator being aerodynamic. 60 to 80 knots, the yoke rises to center by 80 kts.    

Without hydraulic pressure the mass of the elevator will tend to push the column nose down. The NGX controls don't do this, with hyds off they barely move.

Next time I'm in a 737, I'll have a look, but I must say I've never noticed this behaviour before, either with hydraulics on or off....

The C-141s and DC10s I flew

I got to fly a C141 simulator at McCord AFB one night just before I made it into a commissioning program. Although I didn't make it past the eye exam, that experience kept me fired up and thanks to that beautiful Starlifter I had my PPL before my degree and commission. It was beautiful. My first assignment was at the GCA trailer and I spent more time outside watching than inside working.

Dan Downs KCRP

Next time I'm in a 737, I'll have a look, but I must say I've never noticed this behaviour before, either with hydraulics on or off....

With all hydraulics off, the yoke will go forward. However, wind will move it. It can get annoying if you are doing your preflight in windy conditions and the yoke is flopping around.

Matt Cee

I honestly have never noticed that, I guess I need to start paying some more attention when I'm in the flight deck.  :P

I honestly have never noticed that, I guess I need to start paying some more attention when I'm in the flight deck. :P

Me neither, fsforce brought this to my attention. If you have a ffb controller, fsforce is a must.

Thanks to all for your feedback, especially you real time pilots.

Cheers

Ivan

With all hydraulics off, the yoke will go forward. However, wind will move it. It can get annoying if you are doing your preflight in windy conditions and the yoke is flopping around.

On windy days we usually turn on one electric hydraulic pump to keep the yoke from flopping around.

Gentlemen, if you please.

Is there any specific events that you feel significant vibration through the yoke ( gear down, flaps, engines, etc)

Cheers

Ivan

Gentlemen, if you please.

Is there any specific events that you feel significant vibration through the yoke ( gear down, flaps, engines, etc)

Cheers

Ivan

I've never noticed anything. I flew one plane that had a vibration in the yoke on climb out. I think we wrote it up. Never heard what it was.

I think you might be too far removed from the surfaces to feel much.

Matt Cee

I got to fly a C141 simulator at McCord AFB one night just before I made it into a commissioning program. Although I didn't make it past the eye exam, that experience kept me fired up and thanks to that beautiful Starlifter I had my PPL before my degree and commission. It was beautiful. My first assignment was at the GCA trailer and I spent more time outside watching than inside working.

Lol, that starlifter was a great plane. I had some good round the world flights in it.

I've never noticed anything. I flew one plane that had a vibration in the yoke on climb out. I think we wrote it up. Never heard what it was.

I think you might be too far removed from the surfaces to feel much.

Thanks Spin.

The column is obviously well dampened from airframe vibration then.

Do you get differential resistance through the column under various conditions, I would presume the column would be servo assisted like power steering ? I guess what I'm trying to say, is they're any force feed back through the column at all ?

Cheers

Ivan