Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

I LOVE Dovetail, and Steam, and ... FSX!

I'd like to make the move to FSX-SE but have hit a recurrent problem - a terrain.dll crash after about 60 minutes flying in every flight.

I've reinstalled and updated SE to vanilla status, tried various Affinity Mask settings, Bufferpools = 0, reduced autogen and all traffic to zero but it makes no difference.

Performance while flying is great - FPS 100+ and VAS around 2GB but then comes the freeze without warning.

Curiously my boxed FSX with 400GB of scenery, aircraft,  weather and texture addons run without problems with all scenery settings maxed out apart from Autogen down one notch.

I recently upgraded my PC with an i7 5820 (oc to 3.8), GTX 780 and 16GB DDR4 so it's no slouch.

Other users have reported this problem but nobody has come up with an explanation or solution so it looks as though I'll be sticking to my boxed version for the time being.

A lot of people have reported issues of terrain.dll and g3d.dll issues.

I have FSX-SE installed as a single installation with FS Global 2010, FTX Global, FTX Vector and FTX OpenLC. I often get g3d.dll errors if I have FTX Vector enabled. If I disable FTX Vector files in the scenery.cfg (only leaving AEC enabled) I no longer get the error.

I'm not saying that there's some compatiablity issues between FSX-SE and FTX Vector, but on my system disabling Vector seems to fix the issue. Maybe some other users of FSX-SE and the listed ORBX products can confirm the same.

I'm not saying that there's some compatiablity issues between FSX-SE and FTX Vector, but on my system disabling Vector seems to fix the issue. Maybe some other users of FSX-SE and the listed ORBX products can confirm the same.

See the discussion here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/459387-fsxse-terraing3ddll-related-crashes/

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I got it sorted yesterday.

As it turns out at least for me. The g3d.dll error was indeed happening because of FTX Vector. I found a guide called "ORBX FTX The Definitive Guide", doing a google search. I think this guide is published by ORBX. The guide has a suggested installation sequence for ORBX products.

The guide suggested that the installer will place ORBX products in the correct location automatically, which for me it always has. However I reinstalled my OS when I switched to a single install of FSX-SE, and installed ORBX products like I always have done.

Typically I would install FS Global 2010, FTX Global, FTX Vector and the Open LC, in that order. In the past this never was an issue using classic FSX, but upon investigating my scenery config order I noticed that the installers put all of the FS Global 2010 files above all the FTX Vector files.

This seemed a bit odd to me so I removed all of the ORBX files from my scenery config and reinstalled all ORBX products using the sequence suggested in the guide, which recommend that you install "FTX Global, FTX Vector, OpenLC, Terrain Mesh, FTX Regions and FTX Airports" all in this order. -ORBX FTX The Definitive Guide

After using the guides recommendation, I noticed that all the FS Global 2010 files where listed below FTX Vector, which seemed more accurate. I was finally able to complete a 5+ hour flight without any kind of dll errors in FSX-SE, and the performance was 10 times better. Before reinstallation using the recommended sequence, I would typically get g3d.dll crashes at random points during the flight.

I'm not sure if there's something diffrent between the way ORBX installers order the sequence in FSX versus the way it does in FSX-SE, but in my case installing FS Global 2010 before Vector created issues with Vector not being placed correctly in the scenery config list in FSX-SE.

If you're using ORBX products, and you're having g3d.dll issues, I recommend that you confirm that all of your ORBX products are listed in the correct order in your scenery config. If it's not try reinstalling your ORBX products using the recommend method in the guide.

I do aplogize for not providing a link, but I can't remember which thread I found it in, but if you do a google search for the "ORBX FTX The Definitive Guide" im sure you will find it.

Source:

ORBX FTX The Definitive Guide (pg.14)

Thanks for the writeup!

I do not own any ORBX products, but I've put a link to your post into the thread about the g3d/terrain crashes. It will hopefully help some other users who are having the same problem.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days