Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Aviation TV shows and books

Hi All

Can anyone recommend any good TV shows or books about aviation? There's not much available in this country, but so far we've had Flying Wild Alaska, Bush Pilots and Worst Place to be a Pilot. All of which are very good TV series (maybe a bit too over-dramatic at times, but still entertaining for aviation lovers). The thing I like about these TV shows is that afterwards you can always jump in and fly the same routes (or crash) in the simulator with similar weather.

Tony

It's research into problems with aircraft, but I like Mayday - Aircrash Investigation

Cheers!

Maarten

It's research into problems with aircraft, but I like Mayday - Aircrash Investigation

Air Crash Investigation. I liked that show. If someone asks me about a documentry about aircraft, I'd recommend Air Crash Investigation (there are now 14 Seasons). I did see the episode on the Concorde crash (as of the time I'm writing this, it is the newest episode). Sad to see the Concorde (as in all) go.

Júnior Silva

Air Crash Investigation

Ah yes, another great show that I missed out. There are repeats currently running on National Geographic I think.

Ah yes, another great show that I missed out. There are repeats currently running on National Geographic I think.

They're currently airing Season 14. The Concorde episode premired a few days ago. I think the next episode is about JFK Jr's plane crashing (the crash in July 16, 1999). If your interested, there might be an episode covering Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 (disappeared in March 8, 2014, probably airing in March 9, 2015). I don't know if it would actually air, if it is, it could be the anniversary.

Júnior Silva

If you have  a Roku, there's an  AOPA channel.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Can anyone recommend any good...  ...books about aviation?

Here's a few good books though a lot seem to be out of print. Try online somewhere like ABE Books:

Comment

author

title

ISBN

First, books I've read:

UH-1 pilot in Vietnam. Dispassionate on the subject of politics and war, passionately in love with flying.

Robert Mason

chickenhawk

In my opinion, probably the best aviation writer.

Ernest K Gann

fate is the hunter

Country boy gets drunk and joins the USMC and gets drunk and learns to fly and gets drunk and nearly misses the war and gets drunk in the Pacific and goes home. Understated, homely humour.

Samuel Hynes

flights of passage

Extraordinary & inspiring civil career

Robert N Buck

north star over my shoulder

Mail runs across Africa. I found it a bit dry but that's probably just the bad translation I bought.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

wind sand and stars

Never been out of print - says something for the story and the author. Goes well with a History Channel DVD on the subject.

Paul Brickhill

the dam busters

You'd think he was the only sane man in Alaska

Mort D Mason

flying the alaska wild

Still the only sane man in Alaska - Flying the Alaska Wild part 2

Mort D Mason

the alaska bush pilot chronicles

ISBN not known.

Eighties armageddon. The characters' attitudes are a bit dated but the flying is fun.

David Graham

down to a sunless sea

And those recommended to me but not yet bought:

Richard Bach

biplane

Richard Bach

stranger to the ground

Edward Jablonski

flying fortress

Edward Jablonski

seawings: the romance of flying boats

Dallas Kachan

the starship diaries

William Hoffer

freefall: from forty one thousand et c.

Brian Lecomber

talk down

Brian Lecomber

dead weight

Austin Ferguson

jetstream

They should keep you going for a while.

D

Thanks for the recommendations and taking the time to write this Dave :smile:. Should keep me going for a bit ;-)