Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Seriously thinking to ditch all payware airports...

Yes, you read well. Why?

I'm sick of:

- thinking what next airport to buy, depending where I want to fly.

- limiting flights from/to only payware airports.

- browsing forums and looking for FPS/VAS info

- if no such info, I'll go buy it and then spent some time testing it, FPS hit and VAS usage. If FPS or VAS or both are not satisfying, then spend few hours looking for a solution, instead of flying.

- There is always a possibility of some texture fault in DX10. If there are faults, again spending hours looking for a solution.

- I'm using highly customised SweetFX very bright preset, very close to RL visuals. 90% of payware airports have bright textures made for default FSX without SweetFX, resulting in blinding white textures all around sometimes. No such problem with default airport textures.

There are tons of updated default airports here in the library, with added some buildings, corrected AFCAD, ILS and stuff, and no worris of FPS or VAS hit.

I remember when I had Core2Quad at 2.8ghz when FSX simply couldn't handle bigger payware airports, I told myspelf back then "ok, I'll use this couple of purchased airports when I upgrade my machine", and I flew months only using default airports, and they didn't annoy me, especially with some of photo realistic HD textures from my own abandoned Airport Overhaul X project. Believe me, textures are 80% of visuals. I don't care about bunch of details, I can't see them most of the time when taxing. Be realistic, you will see only terminals up close 80% of the time. 20% of the time at payware airports you will taxi at least 200-300 yards from buildings and details.

Really, I'm seriously considering to ditch all payware airports I bought just to free myself from all that thinking before every flight. I mean, I love simming because it's so bloody relaxing, and this payware airports mumbo jumbo made this hobby sometimes so complicated with no reason.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I use to only fly to/from Payware Airports but I've since stopped doing that because it limits you a lot and get's boring. I dont use SFX but I do use DX10 with the Fixer and I'v never had a problem with anything I own. I pretty much only fly in the US/CAN and I stick too FlightBeam, FSDT, FlyTampa, ORBX and Taxi2gate, if you stick with those devs you'll pretty much be all set. I get great FPS/VAS with everything I own and like I said they work great with DX10. I NEVER buy ImagineSim, Blueprint or LatinVFR, I've always had problems with those Devs esepically since moving to Dx10 and Blueprint is the worst. Hope this helps, take care.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I use to only fly to/from Payware Airports but I've since stopped doing that because it limits you a lot and get's boring. I dont use SFX but I do use DX10 with the Fixer and I'v never had a problem with anything I own. I pretty much only fly in the US/CAN and I stick too FlightBeam, FSDT, FlyTampa, ORBX and Taxi2gate, if you stick with those devs you'll pretty much be all set. I get great FPS/VAS with everything I own and like I said they work great with DX10. I NEVER buy ImagineSim, Blueprint or LatinVFR, I've always had problems with those Devs esepically since moving to Dx10 and Blueprint is the worst. Hope this helps, take care.

I get your point, and you're probably right, but that is the same logic I want to avoid - lot of money spent, still limited where to fly with 90% of chance that some issue from above I mentioned will appear.

Only time that I approve payware airports is when you fly a lot GA between smal GA aiports, which are, lets be honest, are pretty simple and dreadful in FSX. I also might consider keeping airports like Mikonos/Skiathos X for obvious reasons. The biggest reason is still that feeling when you fly from default EDDM to payware Skiathos X and land in all that beauty, adding very nice feel and immersion that you really landed at paradise.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I'm thinking along the same lines........  fed up of spending $£$£$ on scenery that I fly to maybe once or twice, or that I land at, park at, and close the flight without hardly seeing it.

Pe11e - what about this  ;-

http://secure.simmarket.com/zinertek-hd-airport-graphics-fsx-p3d.phtml

default airport, with the above :-

13912810.jpg

not bad ?!?!

I'm thinking about this.  The screenshots look quite impressive.  It seems it really transforms the default airports.   Certainly with the Citation II, which is the heaviest Carenado aircraft I've ever come across, I have to fly from default airports only - but I'm kind of getting used to them.   I normally fly Europe, so in the Citation II, I've been flying in and out of a lot of regional airports in the US; eg, in upstate New York; Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, etc.    The areas and environment are nice, (especially with FTX Global and Vector), and I'm hardly missing the payware airports.

Addon aircrafts are what I have always loved spending my hard-earned pennies on, scenery is always bought grudgingly! :smile: ...... although I've bought stacks of it over the years. 

http://secure.simmar...s-fsx-p3d.phtml

I was thinking about that addon, but I'm thinking to create some textures for default airport buildings again. Not sure if I've lost all Airport Overhaul X textures after incidental hard disk format a year ago. The thing is I've not seen any good representational screenshot of HD Airport Graphics, except jetways close ups. There are few terminal shots, but they are not close ups by any means, so I'm not convinced still it is a good product.

90% of payware airports have bright textures made for default FSX without SweetFX, resulting in blinding white textures all around sometimes. No such problem with default airport textures.

I have found most night textures especially at the last 2 if I have flown into Flightbeam KPHX, and FT KBOS to be VERY DARK at night. I have the exact opposite issue you have. I want the airports to be lit up like a christmas tree haha. 

There are few terminal shots, but they are not close ups by any means

I know what you mean, but how close to you get to the terminals? :smile: .... don't you think the terminal in the screenshot above looks pretty good for a default airport?  

What I'm a little worried about with that product is that will introduce shimmering along with the 'HD' textures for the default airport textures.   I had a similar product from Cielosim some years ago; the textures were good, but introduced a lot of shimmering.

I'm thinking along the same lines........  fed up of spending $£$£$ on scenery that I fly to maybe once or twice, or that I land at, park at, and close the flight without hardly seeing it.

http://secure.simmarket.com/zinertek-hd-airport-graphics-fsx-p3d.phtml

default airport, with the above :-

13912810.jpg

not bad ?!?!

I'm thinking about this.  The screenshots look quite impressive.  It seems it really transforms the default airports.   Certainly with the Citation II, which is the heaviest Carenado aircraft I've ever come across, I have to fly from default airports only - but I'm kind of getting used to them.   I normally fly Europe, so in the Citation II, I've been flying in and out of a lot of regional airports in the US; eg, in upstate New York; Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, etc.    The areas and environment are nice, (especially with FTX Global and Vector), and I'm hardly missing the payware airports.

Addon aircrafts are what I have always loved spending my hard-earned pennies on, scenery is always bought grudgingly! :smile: ...... although I've bought stacks of it over the years.

Craig - I was in shock when I saw that picture and quickly saw KROC in your post as I believed that it was KROC for a split second as I base many flights from or to there. Please give me an update if you do purchase and you are happy with that software.

Nick

Nick Sciortino

Craig - I was in shock when I saw that picture and quickly saw KROC in your post as I believed that it was KROC for a split second as I base many flights from or to there. Please give me an update if you do purchase and you are happy with that software.

Nick

Hi Nick,

No I don't think that is KROC in that picture from the HD Airport Graphics product, but yes I am flying almost all flights out of KROC at the moment. It's a great base, for flights along Lake Ontario, towards eastern NY State, or in the other direction towards Detroit etc.   I'll be sure to come back to this thread and post my findings if I go for the product (and I'm definitely leaning towards it).

The concern I have with ZINERTEK - HD AIRPORT GRAPHICS FSX P3D - as much as I really like what it does for the default airports is that is now adds high res textures to all default airport buildings, etc.   As you fly you are going over numerous default airports both large and small and all of those textures are loading and eating up valuable memory.  Now if someone can confirm that the size of the files is the same as default and there is not change to VAS using this program then I am in, looks great.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I've been thinking much the same.  Lately I'm just flying around the east and southeast.  I want to fly where I want to fly and not where I've got enhanced airports.

The concern I have with ZINERTEK - HD AIRPORT GRAPHICS FSX P3D - as much as I really like what it does for the default airports is that is now adds high res textures to all default airport buildings, etc. As you fly you are going over numerous default airports both large and small and all of those textures are loading and eating up valuable memory. Now if someone can confirm that the size of the files is the same as default and there is not change to VAS using this program then I am in, looks great.

If the textures are shared at many airports then you'd get double use out of them...at departure and arrival. I'd like to see some reviews too.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

On a whim, I thought 15 bucks wasn't a huge deal, so here is a quick KROC comp:

image.jpg

HD. Check out the Vic's!

image.jpg

On a whim, I thought 15 bucks wasn't a huge deal, so here is a quick KROC comp:

Looks descent.  Guess it's too late to ask what the VAS difference is.  Honestly, though, I'm betting it's much less than a payware airport.  Might be worth trying out. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Of course it's much less than any a bit detailed payware airport.