Sign in to follow this  
SubLogical

Cannot connect with FSUIPC

I had a bad load so reinstalled and can't get FSUIPC to open for setup ... which means no OK and no go any further.

Linda is nicely resident in the module file with FS ...

Any thoughts on how to break the jam?

Ken

Uninstalling and re-inst both FSUIPC and Linda still results in a "locked" FSUIPC setup ... it won't open to get the "ok" as it says it can't find the FS files.

On the re-load I placed the Linda files straight into FSX main and FS back into the Modules.  The FS is the most recent updated ... ending with a "b"

I did not have Linda loaded prior to today.

I'm outta gas on this.

Ken

Hi Ken

I am sorry but I am having great problems understanding what you are saying. What is the "FS" you are referring to?

What versions of the software are you using?  I recommend the latest fully licenced (paid) version of FSUIPC4 4.937 and LINDA 2.5.7.  What aircraft are you using and what is the version of the LINDA aircraft module?

You say that you have not previously loaded LINDA?  This needs to be installed into your main Flight Simulator folder (FSX or Prepar3D) in the Modules folder. If running for the first time, check the Summary page and make sure that all 3 sections on the left are showing 'Everything is ok!' and take action accordingly. Also go to the Setup LINDA page ensure 'Start with Sim' is ticked.

Finally, if all else fails, try reading the manual and release notes.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Good morning Scott,

First off thanks for the prompt reply.  Interestingly, I have had this same problem with Linda before and posted it on this forum.  I was able to finally determine the problem which at that time involved an incorrect path to the Linda.exe. (which doesn't seem to be the problem this time.)

Now to answer your questions:

1) FS is my abbreviation of the lengthy FSUIPC

2) My version of Pete's FS  program is 4.938b paid version

3) I haven't been able to set the aircraft I want to use (Majestic Dash 8) ... I guess because I can't get the FS  to open for me to get the green "ok" on the Linda settings.

4) In my first load this time with Linda  2.5.7 the files were mistakenly added to the Modules file ... and amazingly all went swimmingly and I started programming buttons.

However, when I tried to grab a Lib file it couldn't find Pete's FS .... it was then that I realized something was wrong and "read the manual".

5) Realizing that I had placed the Linda files in the wrong location, I unloaded them and reinstalled them in the FSX main file according to the instructions .  Then I found the Linda.exe and it                   loaded the program, saw my joysticks but wouldn't let me open the FS setting to get the green ok .... multiple clicking on the "setup required" achieved no results.

6) Another re-install of both programs produced the same result.  I chased up my previous forum post on the same subject and attempted to rectify Linda not seeing FS (I guess) by grabbing the FSUIPC.ini file in Linda, copying the path shown therein, copying it and inserting it in the "FS...ini" file in the Modules folder ... hoping this would resolve and Path problems but a close look at that path line showed it to be correct and as a result nothing changed.

So in a nutshell ... no matter what I try, I simply can't get the  "FSX/FSUIPC  Configs" ... files"  "not found" to open by clicking on the (---> setup required) ... and this time I can't divine the reason.

Sorry for the verbosity,

Ken

PS if you don't have enough snow over there I'll be glad to ship you a load from the interior of BC!

Hi Ken

All LINDA and FSUIPC files need to be in the \FSX\Modules folder - nowhere else.  This should include LINDA.exe, ipcready.lua, linda.lua and the folders /LINDA and /LINDA-CFG. Beside LINDA.exe are a series of FSUIPC files (.dll, .ini, etc).

Assuming you have everything in the Modules folder, then all I can suggest is to delete FSUIPC.ini (after making a backup) and let it recreate it for you. In FSX check the Addons menu to see that FSUIPC appears there.  You need to run FSX for FSUIPC to start. LINDA can be started on its own or automatically with FSX if you tick the 'Start with Sim' box.

You should find the key lines in FSUIPC.ini which LINDA needs (and should insert for you). Note: I paraphrase as I am working from memory.

[laufiles]

1. ipcready

2. linda

[vrinsight]

1. com3

I am not sure what else I can suggest to help you.

PS. There has been snow in Scotland with a series of vicious storms (100mph+ wind) but we have had none here on the NE coast.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Hi Scott, 

I think that's very good news and should be all the help I need.  I can see that I had it right  the first time when I put the Linda files into the Modules file ... then got confused by the installation instructions to "Un-zip and copy the files into the main FSX folder" and did a re-install.

In any event, I'll get on with it and am looking forward to it.

Many thanks for your very prompt and helpful advice ... much appreciated.

Ken

My God! 100 mph is almost hurricane force ... okay, I'll stop complaining about our snow download !!!

Good morning Scott,

1) All goes well after your last helpful e-mail and I regret having to bother you with another "path?" error ... see link below:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/50znkkl5m3oeae1/File%20not%20found.jpg?dl=0

This occurs when I try to access the "set FSUIPC macros" and I agree with complaint it makes as the file doesn't seem to exist.  Have I missed something or messed up the install? 

I do not use VRinsite so I did not complete the "setup required" feature for it but I don't think it's causing the path error to a non existent file.

2) I use two Warthog Throttles and one Warthog joystick.  I have placed a "shift 1" key on the stick and wonder if I have to change it to a)"Global" to have it manipulate the throttles as well ... or  b)add   "Local" shift key on for each throttle?  The "local/global" option seems to suggest the latter but the former makes for the most convenient use.

3) The 737 functions are not available for access on the Library list.  I noticed the installer included that plane but does it need further treatment to make the functions available?

Best,

Ken

Hi Ken

I am pleased you are getting things sorted.

If you are using the VRInsight MCP panels then you need to go to the MCP Setup page and disable the use of MCP. This should remove the error message.

The new Shift One and Two options are 'local' to the device (yoke/joystick) they are programmed on. If you want to affect all your devices (throttles and joystick) you need to use the GLOBAL SHIFT. This is a latching/toggle shift. The first press sets it and second resets it. Remember that you need to apply it to both the Unshifted OnPress and the Shifted 1 OnPress to be able you to cancel it. If you want it to only operate while you are pressing the button, then you need to set it to OnPress and OnRelease.

For any aircraft you need to install the corresponding Aircraft Module (eg. PMDG 737NGX).  These install files in both /linda/aircrafts and /linda-cfg/aircrafts folders with the aircraft name. Then restart LINDA.  You also need to have FSX loaded with the same aircraft to be able to program your buttons.

I hope that helps you.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Thanks for that direction Scott,

I might as well take advantage of your good nature while it stays "good" ...  I'll try and keep these to simple yes or no answers:-

1) key presses don't "seem" to function and if that is a yes I guess they should be loaded in FSUIPC

2) Since I'm programming the Maj Dash 8 I started to load some of the functions ... a simple one was the TO GA ... which I couldn't make work.  So that raises the question of whether the current functions offered are only useful for those using VRInsight or should I be good to go as is.

3) When I first did the setup I didn't realize the Dash 8 had already been programmed.  Since it wasn't on the airplane list I added my version "mjc8q400" which now shows up along with "Majestic Dash 8 Q-400" which is the name of the now installed "decoded" version and lights up the joystick when I program ... the short name doesn't. 

Question ... should I delete the short named from the aircrafts config and then if so "How do I remove it from the module selection list available in the dropdown box at the top.

The only peace offering I have to offer for the ongoing lessons is that my family are porridge eating savages from the Isle of Lewis ... and we're probably related.....!!!

Thanks again for your time Scott ... I'm betting it's a full time job.

Ken

Scott when your time permits can you also comment again on the Error regarding the ...."config-mcp.lua: No such file" that I mentioned before.  As you suggested I tried to disable the MCP (which already says it's disabled) to no avail.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxfdickgid60km7/config-mcp2a.default?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxfdickgid60km7/config-mcp2a.default?dl=0

I'm wondering if this error is preventing the programming to save or should it just be ignored.

Best,

Ken 

Hi Ken

Sorry not to get back earlier but life got in the way.

What you need to remember is that LINDA was designed around the VRInsight MCP products so it is core to its design. As you do not have one of these you should simply ignore all related warnings. The config-mcp*.default files you linked to are not relevant to you and again should be ignored.

As a beginner I strongly suggest that your stick to the available aircraft module downloads and check that they work with your installation before you start assigning. I would not try 'programming' any changes until you have a working installation. Overall do rename folders and files.  I tend to start simply with the standard C172 and FSX Default.

I would strongly suggest you re-read the manual and the 2.5.7 release notes regarding the file structure used by LINDA.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Much appreciated advice Scott.

Interestingly, I was a programmer in another life so I looked at the code of some of the functions ... looks like pretty easy stuff ... If then else, maybe one of these days, endif...!!!

See ya,

Ken

Hi Ken

Sorry to be trying to teach you to suck eggs.  Lua is a very easy language to learn and you will find many sources online if you search. I was trying (clumsily) to say that you need to be careful about changing any of the core LINDA software.  It is a brilliant tool designed by others far more competent than me. I am just carrying on with their legacy for the community.

Have fun.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Scott,

Your advice received loud and clear ... and it's very good advice!!

One of the main problems, it seems for both developers and users is the lack of "kindergarten" level manuals which are probably more work to create than the program itself.  With only constructive criticism intended and in fact standing applause given for the generous and "boot free" contributions you guys provide to  our wonderful obsession I wish I could write one ... but as it stands now I'm a taker without the knowledge to be a giver.

While on the subject of "manuals" I must say the academy award in that category goes to Aivla for their EFB program.  Even I can understand it!!!!!

All right ... back to making a good landing in the Dash 8.

Best,

Ken