Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

VoxATC, Radar Contact, ... what shall I ?

I have to choose an ATC program to use with FSX SE.

I believe that long ago I used Radar Contact, but I'm not sure...

I also know there are yet other alternatives (Pro Atc X ) . VoxATC from the videos I saw in youtube had a very interesting and didactic feature - it shows in a window what you're supposed to say next to the ATC agent you're contacting... 

Well, I look fwd for your suggestions :-)

Yes I know the best way would be to go VATSIM or the like, but, that's not an option for me right now ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I used practically every atc program out there at some point, but I always end up returning to Radar Contact. It just works everytime and it's easy to set up.

Interesting topic.  These, to me, are currently the two best ATC apps.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I like to know too. I am planning to buy a good ATC program. Heard good things about Radar Contact and Pro ATC X apparently is now coming along nicely. i like to add to the OP which combo is best with a crew program aka FS2Crew or MCE ?

Cheers

I would recommend Vatsim, Pro-ATC, or VoxATC. I recently wrote a comparison here: http://forum.avsim.n...plan/?p=3154965

Peter

Nice writeup.  VATSIM is always the best option...if you can find a controller.  I rarely find them and I've heard all the suggestions.  Scared to even try Pro-ATC after all the bad vibe and I don't know how realistic ATC can really be using button-click ATC.  Vox seems a good option and I'm thinking to give it another try.  Be nice if they used people's voices instead of Anna, etc. 

Another option under active development is Pilot2ATC.  It's good but has a ways to go.  PilotEdge is excellent if you are willing to fly SoCal for ATC.  Good for training. 

An aside:  Why does every app have to have a moving map????

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Here I am jumping back on the merry-go-round that is discussions on the 'best' ATC program. :smile:

jcomm, you say that you are not sure if you have used Radar Contact. Perhaps the first thing to do is to check if you have v4 and if so, install it. If it's an earlier version contact John Dekker and see if there's an upgrade price. See the locked topic on the RC Forum here on AvSim for his details.

My own view on RC4 is that it is old but still does what is required; has proper ATC language (Pro-ATCX doesn't); doesn't have a SID/STAR database but that can be circumvented; and is very easy to setup and use.

The biggest failing for me with Pro-ATCX was when I was instructed to climb to a higher FL and levelled off early to see if the controller noticed. He didn't. To me that's quite important because controllers control and pilots do what they're told.

You may have a different view but rest assured that if you don't do what the RC controllers tell you to do it will be noticed and you will get a right telling off at the end of the flight.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You may have a different view but rest assured that if you don't do what the RC controllers tell you to do it will be noticed and you will get a right telling off at the end of the flight.

LOL...they can be quite testy.

Gregg Seipp

LOL...they can be quite testy.

Me especially! :BigGrin:  It would have been great to get a Basil Fawlty controller set. Even I would have broken the rules to be chastised by him in all his glory! :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Well, thank you all so far for your contributions!  They're all important in the long ( well, I hope not so long... ) process of choosing one for me :-)

I will probably test VoxATC demo first...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Bought ProatcX 3 days ago, I was also ATC-less and was getting board of erroneous fsx atc approaces and annoying voice. So far I can say that I am really pleased with proatc, the background atc chatter really gives it a whole new level or realism. appraches are dead on, and the voice is miles better than fsx. very easy to set up, and it also has a flight planner which is a plus. Have tried voxatc but really didnt like the interface, plus is didnt have a flight planner.

forgot to mention that it automatically imports the flight plan into fms, also a lovely feature is the copilot and checklists and the heading assisted guidance to runways and gates...simply love it

Well, there's something I have and didn't mention - PFPX.

Will the PFPX flightplans be exportable to VoxATC, ProATCX ?...

Main Simulation Rig:

I don't know how realistic ATC can really be using button-click ATC.

One option for this is to use VAC - http://www.dwvac.com/

I am just coming back but when I was an avid FSX flyer I created a VAC profile that included everything:

Radar Contact, GSX, AES, Ultimate Traffic, ENB, Track IR, Microsoft Commands, and FSCrew.

It was nice because you never had to press buttons to communicate - well outside of "push to talk" mapped into the flight controller. I have since lost the VAC profile but have the base of it saved so going to recreate it. If anyone else wants the base commands and build off of those feel free to PM me.

You can see them : http://www.dwvac.com/vac_phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=602&p=2032#p2032 (I was "Working Dog" on their forums)

I like Radar Contact - program in your SIDS and Stars. Also there is a cool Meatwater pack that adds a little noise to the transmissions making them sound even more real. Also those RC guys are really on the ball since they have probably heard all of the wacky support questions before. RC is not perfect and does some wacky annoying stuff sometimes but all in all it is the best automated option IMO.

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Well, there's something I have and didn't mention - PFPX.

Will the PFPX flightplans be exportable to VoxATC, ProATCX ?...

dont know what that is, but proatc has an option of importing flight plans in various formats, so I would say yes

One option for this is to use VAC - http://www.dwvac.com/

I also use VAC with Radar Contact and it works very well. I use FSuipc to send the PTT keypress mapped to a button on my yoke.

I would recommend VAC to anyone looking to add voice control to FSX/P3D.