Sign in to follow this  
Kaaron Gillett

WINDOWS 10 and what it mean for us.

What happens if you want to do a factory restore on it? Will it restore 10 or the original?

If the factory restore is in a hidden partition then you will restore back to whatever os was delivered on that machine

What I'm wondering now is what happens if you have a pre-built computer (e.g., a laptop) that originally came with W7/W8. What happens if you want to do a factory restore on it? Will it restore 10 or the original?

Why would you want to restore backwards - Windows 10 is excellent and if it running this well now after just an upgrade imagine what a clean install will be - super happy with Windows 10 here - P3D runs butter smooth now awesome stuff

Rich Sennett

If the factory restore is in a hidden partition then you will restore back to whatever os was delivered on that machine

That's what I was thinking as well. I wonder if the upgrade messes with the restore function in any way.

Why would you want to restore backwards - Windows 10 is excellent and if it running this well now after just an upgrade imagine what a clean install will be - super happy with Windows 10 here - P3D runs butter smooth now awesome stuff

Well... W10 is not "perfect" in any way, shape, or form.

What I'm wondering now is what happens if you have a pre-built computer (e.g., a laptop) that originally came with W7/W8. What happens if you want to do a factory restore on it? Will it restore 10 or the original?

Probably the original. I highly doubt the W10 install is going to wipe and re-establish OEM recovery partitions as W10.

Well... W10 is not "perfect" in any way, shape, or form.

And what are you seeing that makes you think that ? I have seen no ill effects yet just seems faster and as stable as win7

Rich Sennett

Probably the original. I highly doubt the W10 install is going to wipe and re-establish OEM recovery partitions as W10.

I guess you're right. I am in the market for a laptop right now, that is why I asked. I guess I'll buy the laptop now so that I can always have the option of both OSes.

And what are you seeing that makes you think that ? I have seen no ill effects yet just seems faster and as stable as win7

Forced Updates. I can live with the other things, such as the "Settings" program instead of Control Panel, the weird and simplified UI, and the useless start menu (Although I will admit the new Preview released a few days ago really fixes the start menu. It even allows you to turn off the "web search", which was incredibly annoying).

Forced Updates. I can live with the other things, such as the "Settings" program instead of Control Panel, the weird and simplified UI, and the useless start menu (Although I will admit the new Preview released a few days ago really fixes the start menu. It even allows you to turn off the "web search", which was incredibly annoying).

I like the simplified UI - maybe thats why it seems lighter on resources - overall it still feels like win7 but snappier - not a finished program but in the end should be good and dont forget dx12 that will be nice to have someday also noticed my monitor colors seem a bit richer in p3d seems less washed out 

Rich Sennett

I like the simplified UI - maybe thats why it seems lighter on resources - overall it still feels like win7 but snappier - not a finished program but in the end should be good and dont forget dx12 that will be nice to have someday also noticed my monitor colors seem a bit richer in p3d seems less washed out 

Hmm... well, to each his own. I think now is a good time to buy OEM computers, since you're getting the option of both OSes.

as i further test windows 10, now at build 10159 which is believed to be the last build before rtm,i can confirm p3d and fsx-se work flawlessly for me,no disconnect issues as discussed earlier with windows 8, the pmdg 777,737 and legacy 747 all work great, along with the aerosoft airbus planes,orbx,rex all work.i have spent dozens of hours working through almost every build to see what worked and if anything doesn't.the only build that wouldnt work correctly was 10074 for me.one of the great features i think alot of you flight simmers will like is the fact you can have 50 short cuts in the new start menu, and won't have to have a single icon on your desktop or taskbar to clutter up your work space.10159 works great for me and feels even much more smooth than windows 7.anyone considering upgrading on july 29th, i don't see too many problems making the move to windows 10.it does take a very little learning curve, but overall should be an easy move.

Completely agree, Brett.  This is my experience with P3D as well.  Definitely an improvement for me over Windows 7/8.1 in all areas. The "every other release" cycle that seems to haunt Microsoft is about to repeat itself and I believe Windows 10 will be very well received.  Initial estimates are now showing that something like 40% of companies are ready to move to Windows 10 right away since they skipped Windows 8, and I feel confident they will be pleased with the new OS.  But, nothing is perfect and there will always be a segment of the user community that is not satisfied... and that's completely normal and expected.  Perfection in anything is impossible to achieve on this earth, so Windows 10 will miss the mark for many.  When you have 1.5 billion users, well... you get the idea.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

so Windows 10 will miss the mark for many.  When you have 1.5 billion users, well... you get the idea.

It's not that there are "bad" users that don't want to upgrade. It's that MS is not appealing to ALL users like they used to. They keep simplifying things to a ridiculous level every new release since W7. They didn't appeal to businesses or professional users in W8, for example.

It's not that there are "bad" users that don't want to upgrade. It's that MS is not appealing to ALL users like they used to. They keep simplifying things to a ridiculous level every new release since W7. They didn't appeal to businesses or professional users in W8, for example.

Hi Diego - I was certainly not implying there are "bad" users... not sure what that means.  I meant what I said... there will be many for whom Windows 10 will not meet their requirements, and with 1.5 billion users, that's completely understandable and expected.  One only has to peruse these forums to find a very diverse collection of opinions.  This is completely normal.

Your comments on Windows 8 are completely valid.  Microsoft missed the mark completely, and they know it.  Windows 10 is the evidence.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

windows 10 build 10162 has just been pushed through fast ring, with the possibility of slow ring iso's before the holiday weekend

windows 10 build 10162 has just been pushed through fast ring, with the possibility of slow ring iso's before the holiday weekend

Thanks and done I was 2 behind so you have to update each one does not skip - take care

Rich Sennett