Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

In memorium - PMDG Extended Download Service: March 15, 2006-January 23, 2015

Captains,

It's with a very heavy heart that we report the passing tonight of PMDG's Extended Download Service policy. EDS was born on March 15, 2006 in Reno, Nevada. It grew up in a happy home surrounded by some of the best developers in flight simulation. EDS travelled the world, helping simmers in dozens of countries obtain their lost downloads. EDS was reported deceased tonight in Washington, DC and is survived by Robert, Paul, Ryan, Michael, Vangelis, Vin, Jason, Henning, Kyle, Chris, and the License Reset, General Support and Billing/Sales departments. EDS will be missed.

A memorial service will be held Sunday at 1200Z on the ramp at KHEF. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to Avsim or in the form of spare, overhauled jugs (foreward and rear) for the PW R1830-94 radial engine.

You're welcome everyone  :P

- PMDG Simulations

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

RIP. I never got to meet you, but I feel like I knew you well, having read lots of stories full of sorrow and entertainment.

Matt Webb

Will be missed...

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Captains-

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!  :blink:

Okay- so Ryan deserved to have a bit of fun with this...  But I also wanted to give you some news on our decision to kill off the EDS requirement we have had for nine years.

When we instituted the EDS policy in 2005, we were beginning to experience a dramatic increase in our bandwidth costs.  EDS was seen as a way to provide incentive to users to make and create backups of their purchases, while also providing customers with a means to obtain backups of their PMDG software if/when it was necessary.

That was 2005... and while the cost of bandwidth on a per-GB basis has dropped significantly- or bandwidth consumption has increased dramatically do in large part to the popularity of our products- and the huge growth in our customer base.

With the launch of the PMDG Operations Center in 2013- we knew we had a tool that could also go a long way toward helping us to make better use of our bandwidth resources.  Reduced file sizes, reduces transmission volumes, etc.  So we set out on a journey to adapt the Operations Center so that it would manage the download requirements for all of your PMDG products from the moment of purchase onward.

The development spec that we are working with will integrate pretty tightly to our shopping cart- and you will pull your install directly within the PMDG Operations Center after you have concluded your purchase for a PMDG product.

We are hoping to go live with this application in time for the 747-400 release (about a 50/50 chance that happens :P ) and as part of that strategic plan we have known internally that we would eliminate EDS in the process because we would wind up with some very good controls of data security and bandwidth use- thus giving us the ability to more effectively control our bandwidth costs and provide you with quick download service.

When we were working on the FSX/FSX:SE compatibility updates, we knew that users were going to have to pull whole installers rather than the usual practice of downloading patches and we decided that it would be a valuable gesture to all of our customers to eliminate the "friction point" of Extended Download Service **now** in order to provide you with a better, smoother, more friendly process in which to conduct these large updates.

In this age of instant downloads and constant data access, it is easy to forget that bandwidth does cost money- and our bandwidth costs are quite a bit higher than many might realize.  After all, we have always provided free liveries, and other updates- so while EDS has done a good job of helping to dilute our expense, it has also been a source of friction for years, and while necessary- wasn't necessarily popular with us or with you.

The end result is that you will see our product prices change a bit over time to reflect the bandwidth costs in our business model...  But we have always been a company that prefers to "give you a complete product with a single purchase" rather than breaking things into parts and selling you a whole product piecemeal as some software developers will do.  Frankly- if we were to disable pieces of our software in order to withhold them for incremental pricing hits- we think you would lose a big part of the enjoyment of our products- so in keeping with that tradition we are going to do do our best to move away from the EDS requirement for good....

In exchange- we hope you will meet us half way- and continue to support our products for years to come!

(Now don't forget those donations in lieu of flowers!)  :wub:

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Gone way too soon.  :(

jime

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

you should have a server in germany.. most of our hosters have unlimited bandwidth and highperf server..

Excellent news, a very welcome decision.  I've always been careful to backup, but this still gets lots of upvotes from me.

Paul Skol

Good timing. 1 week ago I  recovered a back up to the wrong Disk . It wiped out 2TB with of data including all PMDG back ups...Sat staring at the empty disk for a very long time lol

ZORAN

Well, EDT was the guy at PMDG I have had the strongest relationship with in my simmer life... 

As you know only too well, I am primarily know as IN/UN-jcomm for having probably a World record of install / uninstalls

Every time I find something wrong with a sim, my first auto action is - UNINSTALL THIS SH*** WHY AM I USING THIS????  Then, usually just after a few weeks, I find good reasons to install it back... And the cycle repeats...

FSX is probably the sim I bought and trashed more times in my life, but it finally got it's way, under the form of FSX-SE, to stay forrever in my rig ? It can be used with the only of two sims I never uninstalled after I bought them - Aerowinx PSX and DCS World. I can now use PSX with FSX, so, and since I do think that the quality and complexity of PMDG products are on pair to what Aerowinx offers for their 744, specially considering they're available for FSX directly, I just purchased a download extend service for the 777, and already got my NGX installer, although I can't use either because they're not yet FSX-SE compatible.

Since I intend to buy the 744 v2, and will not install my original PMDG 744 again, I am glad to know that EDT will no longer be required :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

RIP. I never got to meet you, but I feel like I knew you well, having read lots of stories full of sorrow and entertainment.

Ditto! A perfect sentiment...  :Peace:

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Popcorn vendors disagree ! :lol::P

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I would like to show my sorrow with a few cans of 100 Octane Gas at the Service on Sunday, if that would be acceptable.

Regards

Daniel Schneider

Thank you for the info. RIP EDS. A couple of years back I lost my beloved QOS 747-400. Yes, I did have it backed up on an external drive but then that crashed as well. Since then I've had to live without it as yes I didn't take the EDS. Will it then now be possible now to have a re-download of the Queen. Thank you in advance

Respectfully

Gerry Salen