Sign in to follow this  

P3D v2.5 Beta 2 - Terrain Shadows fixed ...

My first 4K video ... well sorta, it is 4K but it's just a stop motion (screen captures) showing Terrain Shadows working at various times of day with and without clouds (cloud shadows).

The is still early Beta 2, more Beta/RCs will probably come later.

The bridge extrusion issue is still present on my setup, but I need to do more testing ... have passed on results to LM.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, the Bridge Extrusion issue... is that where I am seeing all the little lines going down from all the bridges and stuff?    Every time I am over a city if there is a bridge or  highway overpass I always see these little grey lines extending down from them into the terrain.  It's very ugly.   Is this what you are referring to?   If so.. man, I hope that gets fixed.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Rob, the Bridge Extrusion issue... is that where I am seeing all the little lines going down from all the bridges and stuff?    Every time I am over a city if there is a bridge or  highway overpass I always see these little grey lines extending down from them into the terrain.  It's very ugly.   Is this what you are referring to?   If so.. man, I hope that gets fixed.

Let me answer for Rob.

Yes this is the issue.

Carsten U

Thanks Rob....looks promising.....

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Did you notice more fps compared to v2.4?

Not really testing for FPS unless I notice something causes a drastic drop ... seems about the same so far.

Here is another video I made showing Terrain Shadows.

Cheers Rob

Thanks for posting these videos. It's intereting to see how things are advancing or being fixed in Prepar3D. From what you've shown, things look real nice.

Hi Rob.

Not the same issue, but I asked both here and over at LM about the behavior of the cloud shadows, and never got an official answer about it being looked into. They disappear as one turn around, and come back on again. This happens close to the edges of the screen, and I believe it is more pronounced facing certain headings? Do you have any info regarding this? Not a showstopper by any means, but would look better if resolved :).

And thanks for all the updates and stuff

/Fredrik

Yes, that's the extrusion bridge scaling issue, and that's going to get fixed in 2.5 too  :Party: 

This means 2.5 might be the first update since 2.2 that actually moves the sim forward. This is of course provided they don't break something else with this update.

Hi Rob.

Not the same issue, but I asked both here and over at LM about the behavior of the cloud shadows, and never got an official answer about it being looked into. They disappear as one turn around, and come back on again. This happens close to the edges of the screen, and I believe it is more pronounced facing certain headings? Do you have any info regarding this? Not a showstopper by any means, but would look better if resolved :).

And thanks for all the updates and stuff

/Fredrik

From what I've read, it's an optimization. They obviously don't want to calculate cloud shadows that won't be visible in the rendered scene. However calculating what's visible and not isn't as straightforward as it might seem. If it buys me a bunch of extra FPS, it's a trade-off I'm willing to make. I guess they could put in an option to calculate all cloud shadows regardless of visibility, at an FPS hit, for those that want perfection.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

@JimmiG; Yeah, see that optimization point. That′s what I thought :). An option to render them all would be appreciated. In my case, I can′t see any performance hit whichever cloud shadow option I use (unless I go full on on the quality of shadows of course).

Rob, the Bridge Extrusion issue... is that where I am seeing all the little lines going down from all the bridges and stuff?

For me that is the worst thing with P3D at this time.

From EGFF to YSSY

I just renamed to Extrusions.spb to get rid of the bridge issues. Yes, you lose bridges but it's better than having the extrusion issue.

Not really testing for FPS unless I notice something causes a drastic drop ... seems about the same so far.

Here is another video I made showing Terrain Shadows.

Cheers Rob

Is that the same issue where you couldn't have terrain shadows and cloud shadows active at the same time? Artifacts flash on screen if they're both active.

... I'll assume its the same issue ;)

Correct issue is now fixed ... but you'll need some serious CPU/GPU power to run both at the same time.  Artifacts that flash on the screen are a direct result of a GPU overheating ... I can induce those vertical artifacts by overclocking my GPU (that includes GPUs that come overclocked).

Cheers, Rob.