Sign in to follow this  
downscc

A Lesson In Humility

I fired up the beautiful JS-41 to reacquaint myself with her in anticipation of the beta testing we will be doing soon for the new FSX/FSXSE installer.  This became a lesson in humility.

I am an avid aviation buff, been flying since '74 and have over ten years with a lot of multiengine time - but all piston no turbines. I was on the beta team with the JS-41 and fell in love with her then. However, along came others and for the past couple years I've been fully occupied with the 77X.  Okay, you got my background now for the true story.

Going through the tutorial I managed to shear the starter shaft because I forgot to check that the blades were on the start locks. Turns out the Tutorial saved flight that I have doesn't have the start locks engaged and it took repeated failures to start to figure it out.  Gosh, I couldn't even remember how to engage the start locks and kept trying over and over on start to see if I could get them to lock. LOL... finally found later in Tutorial that the only way was during shutdown and then things started to roll along. The flight to KIAD was uneventful except I was over conservative with my speed on downwind and I grew older waiting to get to base.

Today I need to get back in the saddle and try to get proficient again. I am always amazed how easy those big guys are with all their automation after a flight in a great airplane like the Jetstream ( or Cessna Chancellor at home).

Dan Downs KCRP

Welcome home Dan! I bet the J was glad to see you.

I love his little bird. Only thing I fly. Just bought the Reality Wx for her today. Gave her a FSCrew last week also. Nifty stuff.

Flying the Alaskan fjords with real weather - no other AC has better visual ice simulation. IMO

I hope all of the PMDG guys will give her a whirl again. Sometimes I worry she gets forgotten underneath the wings of those big liners. Can not imagine they can be a fun as this puddle jumper.

I have really appreciated your help.

Robert Hollis

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Thanks Robert.... the PMDG guys are pulling her out of the hanger to prepare a new installer for the other platforms. That got me in the saddle... enroute right now Denver-Aspen because I love the challenge of that steep descent on the LOC-E with mountains above you off the wing tip... I need to try Alaska flying. I was addicted to Air Alaska when it was on, if that had of come out when I was in my 30's I would have been up there trying to stay warm.

Dan Downs KCRP

Have a great flight. That is where I am from. Breckenridge Colorado. Stuck in warm Florida now (sounds nice but I am a snow and cold person - odd but it is what I know - mountains).

Alaska has been great in the J4. Flying a puddle jumpers route (one jump an night) - PANC - PAYA - PAGS - Sitka -PAKT - PAJN - PANC and then start over.

Blown away last night flying into PAGS with OpusFSI, Rex with low fog and clouds and ice. PERFECT for the J4. She actually makes it easy.

I may graduate myself one day to the big tubes but only when everything (not just PMDG) gets sorted out into other platforms like se & P3D. Just happy now and everything is working perfect.

I might trouble you with a question. Reading the bottom of the PMDG website 777 page it says the PMDG Operations Center is available for the J4 also but could not locate a download. No big deal just curious.

Might add most of the help you have given me has been via reading old post where you helped other people. So more help than you know.

Thanks!

Robert Hollis

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

I might trouble you with a question. Reading the bottom of the PMDG website 777 page it says the PMDG Operations Center is available for the J4 also but could not locate a download. No big deal just curious.

I think that is a reference to the ability for the OC to work with both 737NGX and JS41; however, they have not yet released it separately from the 77X product. My guess is they will soon... soon in PMDG time, they want to for various reasons.

Dan Downs KCRP

The PMDG J41 remains my favourite FSX aircraft addon, it is charming and characterful in a way nothing else is. I think it has just the right level of automation to keep one person involved throughout the flight without overwhelming them. PMDG did a good job of making it both pretty and simulating the oddities of the TPE331 geared engines.

How to engage the start locks... the only way was during shutdown and then things started to roll along.

If you forget to pull the thrust lever in to reverse during engine shutdown after pressing the STOP buttons, there is a way to get the props on the start locks:

In real life... unfeathering requires the use of a hydraulic hand pump located under a hatch in the cockpit floor, and a few minutes of vigorous pumping. Someone must stand outside and watch the propellers to tell you when they are fully fine.

In the simulator, the electric unfeather pump can be used instead (in reality this is only used to unfeather the propellers for in-flight restarting). Place the thrust levers in to full reverse and set the condition levers to taxi. Ensure electrical power is available. Toggle the unfeather switch (on the pedestal) left and right. Confirm visually the propellers are unfeathered, and then return the thrust levers to idle.

NB: When on the ground, once the engine has stopped turning or the unfeather pump stopped running, it can take a minute or so before the NTS system will feather the propeller, please don't be caught out by this time delay!

Quote from FAQ at http://viaintercity.com/forums/bae-jetstream-41-%28bae-js4100%29/faq-%28frequently-asked-questions%29-and-tips-for-bae-js4100/

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg