Sign in to follow this  
CapnOz

Differences between the Steam and Microsoft Version of FSX with PMDG products

Im thinking about purchasing the stem version, since so many folks seem to making such a big deal about it.

Can anyone confirm ANY differences you have noticed in terms of performance, or functionality.

I'm thinking it might  be easier to stick with the MS version if there are no significant differences.

Thanks in advance, Captains.

Peter Osborn

I just bought it today and did a very quick flight around the default airfield that loads with the Trike, in a Carenado Cessna 337H Skymaster, and was bowled over to see the very high FPS......over 60s-70s. That will do for me to cast my vote in that this is winner. Dovetail may have just injected a 'new' life in an old washed-up outdated sim.

Yeah the framerate is higher but so is the P3D framerate and being a practical engineer I believe any framerate faster than the eye can see (between 30-60 depending on interlacing) is a marginal improvement, plus with FSX even a framerate of 15 can appear very fluid.

So far the method that Dovetail uses for software configuration management is questionable, there might be a method to their madness but I doubt that everybody is going to try as hard as PMDG to get their product to install... bottom line is FSX, FSXSE and P3D all have their advantages and shortcomings.

If you have a solid FSX installation there is no pressing need to move to FSXSE unless you are using Win8.1 (not supported by PMDG). If you don't have FSX then I think there's a good argument to look at FSXSE for gaming. If you are a serious flight simulator geek like I am then I think the path forward might be P3D. Just my opinion.

Dan Downs KCRP

Some solid valid points raised there, Dan. worth chewing over.

Its not the framerates that make SE the big deal, its because when they rebuilt

the source they used the newer C++ compiler which has all kinds of improvements

over what was available in 2005-6, or whenever MS actually last compiled the app.

Compilers are like hardware, when Intel releases new processors families they have

many low level goodies that will only be used if the compiler knows how to do so. The

newest compiler has native thread support that wasn't there back in the day.

I suspect its these types of reasons that the VAS handling is so much better, more

efficient garbage collection.

The money you spend to buy SE is like getting a service pack for FSX, in fact a better

one than any before, its money well spent :)

Jack F. Vogel, Delta Virtual Airlines

I doubt that everybody is going to try as hard as PMDG to get their product to install

Possibly and obscure piece of software without any plans for further development and that would be true. Im not aware of any major players that aren't actively in the transition phase. 

ZORAN

Do the ORBX products work with SE, what about ASN? 

Chgeers

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Im assuming its a rhetorical question?

For now while ORBX outsource some of the conversion there is a 3 line mod in the FTX config XML that is supported by them and works fine but you need to go to there website and I have all their stuff working now. ORBX also have a meeting with DTG this week to discuss the bigger picture I beleive

ASN are in transition however I use OPUS that worked from day 1

ZORAN