Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

Zinertek HD Airport Graphics Update

And does it improve the rather nasty default green grass squares surrounding default airports?

It doesn't, but REX provide a FREE grass texture which is absolutely fabulous. 

I think REX doesn't unclude that airport ground texture that Bunkers mentioned. ORBX regions and FTX Global will include their own airport graound texture though. But lets be honest, there is no ground texture that will match the ground textures of the scenery, even photo ground airport texture will not match FTX textures.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Ok, so I bought it and yes it's better than default but I don't know why they use HD in their product title. 

Ok, so I bought it and yes it's better than default but I don't know why they use HD in their product title. 

Definition is relative, and most of the default FSX buildings are at 512 (or 256).  All of the Zinertek Airport Graphics Textures are at 1024, so they're certainly high(er) definition, than default. :smile:

I think the key aim of the product is to appeal to those who perhaps have performance issues running complex aircraft such as the NGX or T7, at detailed payware airports.   This product "tidies up" the default airports, to make them a bit more palatable.   But I think that if they made all the textures 2048 or 4096 and it dragged down performance and increased VAS, it'd be self defeating.

It'd be nice if they fancied up the default detailed airports too. I read on Zinertek's site that the detailed airports (KJFK, KDFW, KPHX, etc) remain the same. I understand those are specific textures, but maybe they could come out with another small set just for those. The default detailed airports are my sweet spot for airliners. Butter smooth, yet still enough airport-specific scenery to give you a feeling of where you are. 

/\ /\ yes, I agree.   Those customized detailed airports could be improved with just a little better texturing.

BTW, sorry it's off topic a little, but does anyone have a list of all of the airports in FSX that are 'customized' as standard?    (I think the only ones I've used are KLAX and EHAM).

Ta.

I bought HD Airport Graphics, and I'm somewhat dissapointed because all of terminal textures are still 256x256 resolution. I expected at least 512p. So I'm wondering why they are calling this HD? As far as I'm concerned that is false advertising. 

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I bought HD Airport Graphics, and I'm somewhat dissapointed because all of terminal textures are still 256x256 resolution. I expected at least 512p. So I'm wondering why they are calling this HD? As far as I'm concerned that is false advertising. 

Wow, really, in that case I agree with you.  The do look far better, and at least some of the textures are 1024, so I guess I assumed they all were.    If they are including main terminal textures at 256, then it should not really be called 'HD' as they textures are the same as the original;  SD.

No offence but are you definitely looking at the correct textures, and the correct sizes, Pe11e?

I'm just really surprised they are 256.

Yep, I've checked all the textures in DXT2BMP after installing it. They are sharper and better looking, but still 256. Hangar textures are 1024 and maybe couple more, that's it. I will try to make 512 terminal textures that would be very similiar to the ones that Zinertek's provided in HD Airport Graphics, and I will share it with you guys. That is 4-5 textures, I can do it. :) I'm so dissapointed with 256p that I simply must create my own 512p textures, I have an issue with low res textures when parked at the gate 20 meters in fron of main terminal, you can see every distorted pixel, argh.

Exactly, as I said in post #18. Talk about misrepresenting a product.

Yep, I've checked all the textures in DXT2BMP after installing it. They are sharper and better looking, but still 256. Hangar textures are 1024 and maybe couple more, that's it. I will try to make 512 terminal textures that would be very similiar to the ones that Zinertek's provided in HD Airport Graphics, and I will share it with you guys. That is 4-5 textures, I can do it. :) I'm so dissapointed with 256p that I simply must create my own 512p textures, I have an issue with low res textures when parked at the gate 20 meters in fron of main terminal, you can see every distorted pixel, argh.

I usually don't jump into new stuff until I have checked it out, well I broke my rule and got bit. This one is getting uninstalled. 

As long as things are lokking better than default, I'm gonna try this one out - HD or no HD.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Exactly, as I said in post #18. Talk about misrepresenting a product.

I usually don't jump into new stuff until I have checked it out, well I broke my rule and got bit. This one is getting uninstalled.

Why do you want to uninstall something that in fact looks way better than default? Hd or not hd. Even the performance with airport vehicles is better with this addon. Maybe they have tested higher resolution textures and VAS was higher so they got back to 256p.