Sign in to follow this  
Premier

SimLauncher and Affinity Mask

Hi Maartin and thankyou for a wonderful program. There is just soo much to see!

I only have one question. My FSX cfg has Affinity mask set to 14, but in the tools menu in SL, it says Affinity Mask 15

Many thanks,

Chris Morgan

Hi Chris,

I will add Maartin to the list of alternative spellings of my name :smile: .

SLX displays the actual affinity mask of the fsx.exe process as reported by the operating system. I could of course display the affinity mask as set in the fsx.cfg file, but that static value does not give you much information I would say. FSX will always use core 0 for the main thread, the affinity mask setting only affects other threads like texture loading.

thanks, Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

We can right-click on the taskbar and choose "Task Manager", then choose the "Details" tab, then right-click on a program in the list and choose "Set Affinity". This shows us the Logical Processors (LPs) in use by the application. FSX works best to have the affinity set at the start of the app with the AM setting in cfg. Using this menu to change affinity after the app has started may not have the desired result. For example, if we uncheck one of the LPs, those threads will move to another LP, which in the case of FSX/P3D could double up threads on a core, slowing the sim down. The AM is really only useful to keep the main FSX thread on a core of it's own when HT = On.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I will add Maartin to the list of alternative spellings of my name

LoL, sorry about that....must have been that last glass of red or suffering from the oppressive aussie heat we are currently getting down here (Perth)...I'll blame that. Thanks for your explanation and SteveW's as well. So AM 14 (In FSX.cfg) and HT OFF in BIOS is the correct setup? (i7 4790K)

Hi Chris,

Oppresive heat ... hmm, sounds better than the miserable weather we are 'enjoying' here in The Netherlands!

HT off and AM=14 in the fsx.cfg file are indeed the recommended settings for FSX on a machine with 4 physical processors.

thanks, Maarten

Thanks Maarten

Just one more Q, LoL My 2 ORBX airports and 1 Aerosoft airport only have Blue STD icon for the airport (s), and nothing in the Publisher column. Should they be green and purple icons? They were installed in the default locations and active in the scenery.cfg. Database was rebuilt. No big deal of course, just thought I would ask :rolleyes:

Cheers  Chris

Hi Chris,

ORBX and Aerosoft airports are determined on startup based on pattern matching of the folder structure and the names of .bgl files. Please send me an e-mail with screenshots of the folder structure and the files in the folders where your airports are installed. You can find my e-mail address in the User Guide.

thanks, Maarten