Sign in to follow this  
mwilk

Weather generator

Hello,

What weather generator does the best job of depicting weather conditions?

NAX669.png

After trying EFASS and FSrealWX, I've come to the conclusion that nothing really works well for XPX. However if I have to make a choice between them, I would most likely go with FSRealWX.

For now Im just using XPX default weather generator, and if I feel like flying through a storm, I fire up P3D and ASN.

Have a nice day :-)

The weather generation in X plane does not look good to me.

This what I did yesterday. I used FSrealwx on both Fsx and X plane @PAJN .

X plane shows no clouds but rain or snow.   Fsx shows both clouds and rain / snow. I can't say anything about turbulence as I never ever got it in X plane.  Crosswind yes.

But which sim is being close to the real weather is beyond me.

Just for the clouds and weather I have not been using X plane so back to Fsx till they resolve it , but I don't think the weather is gonna be rectified like a few other important stuff. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Yep, there certainly is lots to complain about in terms of XP's weather handling.

FSRealWX would be my recommendation - less functionality but less hassle with registration.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Just for the clouds and weather I have not been using X plane so back to Fsx till they resolve it , but I don't think the weather is gonna be rectified like a few other important stuff. 

Indeed, weather is a major realism factor in any flight simulator.

Regarding graphics and flight dynamics XP10 is already ahead from FSX/P3D, IMO. Being already 64-bit it's a very mature flight sim engine.

IMO again, it's now time for LR to work on things that are major showstoppers for people migrating to XP10, like weather, ATC and (generic?) airport buildings. Help them stick with XP and not fall back to their previous flightsim software. Help X-Plane itself break through and lead the way instead of following.

X plane shows no clouds but rain or snow.   Fsx shows both clouds and rain / snow. I can't say anything about turbulence as I never ever got it in X plane.  Crosswind yes.

Yep, same here. No matter what I set the weather to, it never matches what I choose, e.g. If I want to practice instrument approaches in bad weather, I set low cloud, low visibility, but I never get that. Sometimes clear blue skies with rain or snow, or the cloud ceiling is at 8000ft when I set it at 100, etc.. I don't know if it's Skymaxx Pro doing it, but it seems others who don't use it also have the same problem.

it's now time for LR to work on things that are major showstoppers for people migrating to XP10, like weather, ATC and (generic?) airport buildings. Help them stick with XP and not fall back to their previous flightsim software

I hear this all to often unfortunately, people are going back to FSX/P3D because these things don't work properly. Maybe we'll see revamped weather and ATC in XP11, but by then, maybe it it will be too late

I can't say anything about turbulence as I never ever got it in X plane

It's the exact same for me. With real world weather I never get any turbulence. With P3D and ASN you do get buffered around when flying through clouds. 

I love the feel of XPX, but the lack of weather and AI are the reason why I still have P3D on my hard drive.

I love the feel of XPX, but the lack of weather and AI are the reason why I still have P3D on my hard drive.

I would have to agree. Thanks everyone for your comments. Not very encouraging but what can you do?

NAX669.png

XP10 is still a mess, worst purchase of my sim life.  There's snowfall but no snow textures, weather and atc is still broken in 2015, etc. etc. Stay with FSX or P3Dv2

There's snowfall but no snow textures,

It's just been announced in an interview with one of the X-Plane devs that this is finally get worked on. Fingers crossed they also look at the weather and ATC.

XP10 is still a mess, worst purchase of my sim life.

With all due respect, I can not agree with this statement.

I have only a month using XP10, coming from over 10 years of FSX experience and over €1000 of payware stuff alone.

XP10 is far from being a mess. In many important ways I find it way better than FSX/P3D2.

I agree however that NOW is the time for LR to put effort to the factors you mention, weather/seasons, ATC, airports, so that new X-Plane customers are not disappointed like you are.

Yes, maybe weather/seasons, ATC, airports are less important than, say, flight dynamics, BUT in the end they seem to be important enough to customers, and without customers X-Plane does not have any future.

The recent 50% sales was a very good move to the right direction. Now that the sim is at this very good overal shape as an engine, I think it's time to get it refined, polished.

weather and ATC.

ROFL

XP10 is still a mess

Than what is FSX ?  please elaborate.

Than what is FSX ?  please elaborate.

Please don't turn this thread into a flame war

Please don't turn this thread into a flame war

NOT ME NOT ME :ph34r:

I will try the test tonight again lets see what it shows up.

XP10 is still a mess, worst purchase of my sim life.  There's snowfall but no snow textures, weather and atc is still broken in 2015, etc. etc. Stay with FSX or P3Dv2

David,

I own all of the sims and I fly all of the sims I own. They all have their strong points and weaknesses. If it wasn't for the abundance of third party addons, the Microsoft simulators wouldn't be any better than X-Plane out of the box. I'm for any sim that gives me a high immersion factor.

NAX669.png