Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

OMDB SID

A week or two ago, I was on an Emirates 777-300ER flight from Dubai(OMDB) to the UK. I was keenly following the track out of Rwy30R as we climbed out which was shown on the in-seat map follower. And I noticed it just flew straight on into the Persian Gulf before flying above Iran.

My question is this, when I use AivlaSoft's EFB flight planner which gets it route from Route Finder, it shows several SIDs. I know it did not take DARA3F, and I did not see it take the small dog-leg that is MUVL2F. So, I'm intrigued as to which one it'd have taken.

Anyone with any ideas? Thanks.

Possibly a direct routing shortly after departure and/or radar vectors for traffic avoidance or to expedite traffic flows. I'm glad I'm not the only one who tries to figure out which SID we're flying when I'm a passenger!

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Rick, I am no expert by any means and so take my response as such.

I believe it all depends on the number of aircraft within the Dubai aispace as it is quite tight at certain times of the day and night.

They need to be as "efficient" as possible in order to keep things flowing mainly during early mornings and late nights, as that is EK's busiest time.

I have flown "passenger"  several 30R, and 12R MULVA SID's over the past 8 years at different times, and saw different deviations throughout.

Best guess would be SID turned to radar vectors for efficient spacing, or check out PAPAR2D , and last but not least MAXMO2D.

Hope that was of some help (coming from an non pro.), or better yet listen to Ben.

Waleed N

That makes me think if SID is overrated in the simmers world. I commuted last year almost every week between Gatwick and Hamburg. I could swear that many times the plane made a slight turn or went straight towards Kent and the channel. Sometimes it did several turns before it flew straight on.

Gents

Thank you all for your replies. Makes interesting reading. There was me thinking----and throughout the flight, I was in a 'FSX-thinking mode to do this with my PMDG 777-300ER', and when we landed at Manchester, the Australian Captain stood by the airbridge was stunned when I asked him about what Vref, and what STAR he had taken, (not expecting this from an  ordinary economy-class passenger)as I had complimented him on the strong cross-wind landing on 27R---that it was only us in the sim-world who bothered about these departure and arrival procedures.

I always "challenge" the time to destinationan knowledge of the welcoming attendants for fun (after some research ofcourse), and "Kind of know" when to expect turbulance.

Sad times we live in though, as I quit asking the Flight Attendants to get me a copy of the performance figures from the flightdeck some years ago.

Not in the least bit interested in explaining why to a couple of suits on arrival.

Waleed N

Sad times we live in though, as I quit asking the Flight Attendants to get me a copy of the performance figures from the flightdeck some years ago.

Not in the least bit interested in explaining why to a couple of suits on arrival.

How true which is why I bit my tongue and killed the idea of scribbling a note to ask for such performance figures. I now await to see disembark last in the hope that the flightdeck crew have finished their Shutdown Checks  and are at the airbridge to have a chat with. Most are so willing and cheerful enough to share and answer 'non-passenger' questions.

Back to original question. Come to think of it now, as our flight was more than 45 mins late taking off I heard the Capt announce that because for the late departure, we had been cleared for a high-speed departure and cruise. That explains why I did not see any SID deviations on that track.

Years ago in previous job, we had to flightplan out of omdb. I'm sure at some point the notams said the sids where not In use and it was a direct to a certain waypoint according to the mid east routing document. Like I said it was many years ago

14ppkc-6.png

Rick, I once flew out of KORD on the Air France 340, and the lady next to me (ATC controller) mentioned that her buddies were going to help us with a shortcut.

Needless to say they shaved about 15-20(?) minutes off our flight time with their nifty shortcut (eastbound international rush time).

I would love a high speed departure with those engines running wild.

Waleed N

high speed departure with those engines running wild

Took a video of it but have no idea how,  and where to post it.