Sign in to follow this  
ratata

Problems with dashboard and cockpit lights...

Hello guysn'gals!

- I like flying the real life's Cessna 172 at night. However, there are one thing that differs from doing the same thing in FSX.

With the real Cessna 172, you can arrange the lights in the cockpit largely after your own preferences. For instance, at night I like to have all the cockpit lights turned off. The Instruments are being illuminated by their own backgrounds light. The dashboard is dark, but I have a clear and concise view of all intrument. My eyes are now adpted to the darkness outside, so there too I have a pretty good knowledge of what is going on outside cockpit.

But, in FSX (SE or MS) I don't have this option. The only two options are; The pitch black cockpit. Not even the LED - segments are lit in darkness. That is odd since LED - segments are lit by default if they are a part of a digit that is displayed.

So it seems it's either black or white...or perhaps I haven't yet found the correct switch? :)

My question: - Are there addons, patches, tweaks or some other solution that addresses lights in cockpit?

Best regards
ratata
Sweden

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Microsoft Flight Forum" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

In the default 172, with standard gauges, the only option is the panel light.  Have you tried the glass cockpit

172, if that is available in your Sim?  Unfortunately, unlike some addon aircraft, there is no soft-glow

back-lighting  for the gauges.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Unless back lighting is made as part of the aircraft, in FSX you are stuck with floodlights for illumination and the stock FSX aircraft do not have back lighting as a part of their models.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

...aaah. Now I understand why there's FSX payware such as Cessna 172 even though it comes with the package. It's on the designers desk on what to implement and what to leave behind.

The A2A Cessna 172 (which it seems you might have looked at) has pretty much what you describe in your OP. You can set the intensity of the instrument lights independently of the glareshield; so you can turn glareshield off and have the soft glow of the instruments. Additionally you can control the intensity of the radio stack lights too.

Whether this is acceptable or comparable to your non-sim flying experience I couldn't say for certain, but I would imagine it's probably one of the best (if not the best) sim options available.

- No, I have not. But your post made me to. Exactly what I was looking for. So thank you for the hint. Me happy! :)