Sign in to follow this  
calibra2001

Shifted

Hi

I am hoping you can help me. I have 4 rotary encoders and 6 potentiometers connected to a Leo Bodnar  BU0836A-NC 12-Bit Joystick Controller also several switches connected to a Leo Bodnar BBI-32 Button Box Interface.

Using the rotary encoders set for heading bug (slow) + and - etc.

Is it possible to use a pressure pad switch connected to the button box interface to use a shifted mode when pressed and unshifted when released. eg. when i push the pressure pad the rotary encoders can switch to (fast) + and -, when the pressure pad is released its back in the slow mode?

I've been trying to make sense of it but i have seen different thoughts.

I read Local shift is on when pushed and off when released (that's what i want), but i also read local shift only affects the interface the pressure pad is connected to, so i require global shift to operate the other interface with rotaries connected but then i have to keep pushing the pad to get back to unshifted.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Calibra

Following similar reports, I have found an error in the operation of the GLOBAL SHIFT and issue a patch to fix it on the Download subforum here.

Please read the notes as both shift functions now latch on with a single OnPress.  If you require a the shift only while the button is held pressed then an explicit OnRelease assignment is required to cancel it.

This fix should allow you to solve the question you raised.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Hi Calibra

Following similar reports, I have found an error in the operation of the GLOBAL SHIFT and issue a patch to fix it on the Download subforum here.

Please read the notes as both shift functions now latch on with a single OnPress. If you require a the shift only while the button is held pressed then an explicit OnRelease assignment is required to cancel it.

This fix should allow you to solve the question you raised.

So, does LINDA work with custom built controllers?  I've often thought to get some parts and put one together but I've not wanted to go through the hassle of using LINDA as well as some other software to control it all.  I'd much rather have 3 position switches than 2 position switches since there are often those switches in the aircraft that have 3 positions.  E.g. a three position switch can also act as a two position switch but not the other way round.  If I could build a panel with a controller behind it that LINDA could control then it would be just what I need.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hi Gregg

I understand many users have added custom controllers to their systems and used LINDA to add functions. The condition is that custom controllers must appear to Windows as a Human Interface Device (HID) or joystick with a number of buttons or Hats.

I take the point about a global 3 position shift raised by you and others and all I can say is I am looking at how this can be done.  Watch this space!

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Hi Greg, In know Scot has answered, but still the answer is yes, It works much better for me than FSUIPC as many controls have off/on functions rather than toggle. Its very good for home made parts, just be sure you can connect to pc and is recognisable. I started with a xbox 360 controller just used the board and wired up proper switches, but then i asked on avsim and found some usb boards, with more connections. I now use some 3 position with no problems at all....

Good Luck

Phil

Hi Scot, thank you very much, i haven't had a chance to try it yet, but i will later tonight.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Greg, In know Scot has answered, but still the answer is yes, It works much better for me than FSUIPC as many controls have off/on functions rather than toggle. Its very good for home made parts, just be sure you can connect to pc and is recognisable. I started with a xbox 360 controller just used the board and wired up proper switches, but then i asked on avsim and found some usb boards, with more connections. I now use some 3 position with no problems at all....

My thinking is that, if each position of the switch is a separate button LINDA wouldn't need any change.  Of course, if it's the same 'button' with three positions (or, perhaps, n positions) then, yeah, that would be a problem.  The rotary idea would be very interesting to me since my VRInsight MCP Combo knobs jump like madmen when I move them (but only in aircraft other than the NGX...oddly).  It's been on my radar to look at that more closely but I've been busy with everything else.  

I noticed that on the website you reference that they have knobs with concentric centers.  That'd be useful.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Hi Gregg

My thinking is that, if each position of the switch is a separate button LINDA wouldn't need any change.  Of course, if it's the same 'button' with three positions (or, perhaps, n positions) then, yeah, that would be a problem.

Your thinking is correct. Most switches and multi-position knobs are seen by FSUIPC and LINDA as separate button pushes for each position.

The rotary idea would be very interesting to me since my VRInsight MCP Combo knobs jump like madmen when I move them (but only in aircraft other than the NGX...oddly).

The VRInsight MCP Combo knobs work differently with rotation of the knob being passed as a slow or fast movement in each direction.

If you are having problems with your panel, I would recommend you try testing the panel by switching it off and switching the AP Cutout switch down (on MCP Boeing or HgIn on FCU Airbus) and switching the panel on again. Rotating the knobs or pressing the buttons will display the results on the LCD.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

If you are having problems with your panel, I would recommend you try testing the panel by switching it off and switching the AP Cutout switch down (on MCP Boeing or HgIn on FCU Airbus) and switching the panel on again. Rotating the knobs or pressing the buttons will display the results on the LCD.

That won't work.  If I turn the unit off I have to restart FSX to get it to work again.  I think it's, at least in part, the fast movement kicking in that causes it.  Like I said, I have to study it more carefully. 

Gregg Seipp

Hi Gregg

You don't need FSX running to run the hardware test on the pane I describerl. However, you are probably correct in saying the incfast and decfast functions can be problematic.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Hi Gregg

You don't need FSX running to run the hardware test on the pane I describerl. However, you are probably correct in same the incfast and decfast functions can be problematic.

It's probably a combination of the functions and the knob.  I think they're twitchy too.  Might be that maybe we can get some config values to help adjust the threshold when/how the fast kicks in? 

Gregg Seipp

It's probably a combination of the functions and the knob.  I think they're twitchy too.  Might be that maybe we can get some config values to help adjust the threshold when/how the fast kicks in? 

The threshold between slow and fast rotation of the MCP knobs is fixed in the firmware in the panels. The only adjustment we can do in LINDA is how fast is fast. The slow value is normally one increment (ie. 1 knot or 1 deg) and the fast is usually set to an increment of 10 (i.e 10 knots or 10 degrees).

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

The threshold between slow and fast rotation of the MCP knobs is fixed in the firmware in the panels. The only adjustment we can do in LINDA is how fast is fast. The slow value is normally one increment (ie. 1 knot or 1 deg) and the fast is usually set to an increment of 10 (i.e 10 knots or 10 degrees).

Then, it would seem that they (VRInsight) didn't do a very functional job.  The only solution I can imagine, then, would be to have slow and fast both be 1 and have the software make a slow/fast decision.  Slow would be slow but if a fast were received it would be 'maybe fast'. 

Gregg Seipp