Sign in to follow this  
Gerardius

Terrain.dll CTD in FSX-SE

It has worked for 98% of other users who had this problem. 

You have the uiautomationcore.dll in the main FSX-SE folder.  It is not allowed there.  The uiautomationcore.dll is part of the Microsoft.net packages.  It only fixes one type of crash for FSX and FSX only:  The Menu Crash (where you right click inside of FSX and select a menu item at least 19 times).  Only a certain version works for FSX installation only.  It is not the holy grail of fixes for FSX crashes/freezes.  Remove it from your SE installation and go fly.  At one time the uiautomationcore.dll version placed in FSX only caused a memory leak in Windows 8.1.  This has since been fixed by Microsoft and we no longer have this warning in the CTD Guide. 

Again, lower your FSX-SE settings to the default (go to the scenery tab and click on reset to default).  You need to make sure you do not have high display driver settings too.

Best regards,

Hello sir,

Firstly thank you to help members of this forum so enthusiastically. That said, I would make a few points to your comment:

First, I would like to know which is the source and what statistical sample you used to say with such precision that the solution you provided worked for 98% of users.

I followed your advice and I keep getting the same error, like fellow sidhanstv.

I have owned FSX Boxed for years and I never got such terrain.dll error.

Peter Dowson has recognized that the error is in this version and has tried to resolve it within FSUIPC and provided a patch (FSUIPC4938hTEST) without success up to now, because he says that being a CTD that takes over an hour or more to occur and can not be reproduced, he does not have time to dedicate to testing.

In fact, FSX SE gives me the CTD on the same flight (LEMD-MMMX) at different times, often in mid-Atlantic, where there is not much tarrain to represent.

Regarding the uiautomationcore.dll file, I don't know from where did you get that is no longer needed in Windows 8.1, because one of the contributions of Steam's FSX version is that it installs it by default. In fact, to check your advise I've renamed it as "uiautomationcore.dl_", and after a few minutes of flight (much less than those required for error regarding terrain.dll), and after chanching two times the view and used the menu to change a few things in the setup, I got another CTD, and the Windows 8.1 event log reports literally what follows:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe Version: 10.0.62608.0, time stamp: 0x54abe5b4
Faulting module name: uiautomationcore.dll, version: 7.2.9600.16421, time stamp: 0x524fcc0b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000210d
Faulting process id: 0x1c90
Faulting application start time: 0x01d03d55905e9a44

Faulting application path: F: \ SteamLibrary \ steamapps \ common \ FSX \ fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C: \ WINDOWS \ SYSTEM32 \ uiautomationcore.dll
Report ID: 5f42005c-a94d-11e4-bef5-bcaec577104d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

There was years I didn't got this error.

So in summary:
  • The CTD of terrain.dll must be resolved by Dovetail Games, because it is as a result of the changes made in their version for Steam, unless we get lucky and Pete Dowson do it within FSUIPC, as he did with the g3d.dll error
  • uiautomationcre.dll continues being necessary nevertheless.

Best regards, ad excuse my poor english.

Gerard Cabezon

Gerard Cabezón
Check my Youtube's Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Gerardius

You might give this a try...a seemingly successful formula for eliminating terrain.dll crashes - it has worked on two different systems:

1) Use Bojote's tweaking tool to make changes to your FSX-SE.CFG file. Download the revised one and install it, just be sure to back up your original.

2) Lower the graphic settings to default as suggested by Jim: (I reduced mesh complexity to its minimum)

3) Install the newest FSUIPC module. 

It might make no sense, but taking all these steps has fixed the constant (struggled for weeks with this) CTD I was getting after 1-2 hours. I've made several flights across the USA with no problems. 

Good luck,     

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Regarding the uiautomationcore.dll file, I don't know from where did you get that is no longer needed in Windows 8.1

I'm sorry you misunderstood.  The system uiautomationcore.dll should not be removed.  It is required for operation of Windows.  I told you to remove the one that is in your FSX-SE Folder:

LoadedModule[154]=E:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX\uiautomationcore.dll  (this is where it is located)

Best regards,

First, I would like to know which is the source and what statistical sample you used to say with such precision that the solution you provided worked for 98% of users.

I apologize if I am upsetting you.  I'm just showing that there are very few FSX-SE users who are getting this error and most of them are located right here in this forum.  Look in the FSX Forum and you will see a number of happy users.  So I think your error has something to do with your installation.  If you do a search on the Internet for terrain.dll fsx-se, you will see there is little discussion in any of the other flight sim forums about this problem.  Just here.  So I think my guess of 98% is very close to being spot-on. 

The terrain.dll error has something to do with the terrain.  Did you ever disable all addon scenery? 

I'm glad Greg is here to help.  I'm not too happy with the recommendation to install Bojote's tweaks but it is worth a try.  Bojote's tweaks work on lower end computers, not powerful computers.  If you are still getting the error, I would return to the default config until you can get this problem fixed.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm not too happy with the recommendation to install Bojote's tweaks but it is worth a try. Bojote's tweaks work on lower end computers, not powerful computers. If you are still getting the error, I would return to the default config until you can get this problem fixed.

Yea, not certain this helped or not, but because the sim is rock solid I'm reluctant to change anything! I suppose though I'll swap the config file for my previous one and see what comes of it. I'll report back with my findings. 

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

UiAutomationcore.dll v6.0.6001.18000 is supplied ready installed by Steam for FSX-SE and should be left alone. However, Win7 and Win8 FSX (MS) users should install UiAutomationcore.dll v6.0.5840.16386 into the FSX program files folder. These measures are taken because the system UiAutomationcore.dll present on Win7 and Win8 are not strictly compatible with FSX, or FSX-SE. The UiAutomationcore.dll found in the folder with the FSX executable will be utilised by the app instead of the system version, and avoid problems.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

You might give this a try...a seemingly successful formula for eliminating terrain.dll crashes - it has worked on two different systems:

1) Use Bojote's tweaking tool to make changes to your FSX-SE.CFG file. Download the revised one and install it, just be sure to back up your original.

2) Lower the graphic settings to default as suggested by Jim: (I reduced mesh complexity to its minimum)

3) Install the newest FSUIPC module. 

It might make no sense, but taking all these steps has fixed the constant (struggled for weeks with this) CTD I was getting after 1-2 hours. I've made several flights across the USA with no problems. 

Good luck,     

Thanks Greg, I'll give it a try :)

Gerard Cabezón

I'm sorry you misunderstood.  The system uiautomationcore.dll should not be removed.  It is required for operation of Windows.  I told you to remove the one that is in your FSX-SE Folder:

LoadedModule[154]=E:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX\uiautomationcore.dll  (this is where it is located)

I'm sorry sir, but I think I have not explained it well: I have always referred to uiautomationcore.dll file folder FSX SE.

I know perfectly well that the windows uiautomationcore.dll file (c: \ windows \ syswow64 \ uiautomationcore.dll), is a system file and must not be deleted or replaced. Is part of my work for many years being familiar with the operating system operation.

In any case, the uiautomationcore.dll "we" were talking about (the FSX / FSX SE folder's one), is copied automatically during installation of FSX SE, so I guess that developers who have made the settings for this version should know what they are doing ...

The installation of FSX SE is automatically done by the Steam client application from your account in Steam, and you can not select "run as administrator" or anything, because it only allows you to choose the destination folder of the installation. So there is no chance that my installation be erroneous, unless DTG installer has been made defective. I've already told you that I have used for years FSX DVD without any CTD.

On the other hand, despite what you say, I think that Bojote's tweaks help in any type of computer. In any case, we need not discuss about Bojote's yes or Bojote's No. It's as simple as test the performance of FSX / FSX SE with and without such adjustments. In any case Bojote reasoning explained in detail each of his tweaks. If you discouraged its use, maybe you should argue the negative aspects of these tweaks individually to help us understand why they should not be used.

Again, sorry for my poor english.

Thanks and greetings

Gerard Cabezón

I split these posts from the other CTD as it gets very, very confusing as to who did what, when, where, why, and how.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

In any case Bojote reasoning explained in detail each of his tweaks. If you discouraged its use, maybe you should argue the negative aspects of these tweaks individually to help us understand why they should not be used.

NickN, a reputed computer expert has not endorsed Bojote's tweaks as well as I.  They were good for older systems trying to get as many fps as possible but the faster, more powerful systems do not have any problems getting high fps (unless you move all of your sliders to the right).  The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide provides our explanation of the various tweaks that may or may not be used in FSX, P3D, FSX-SE.  The BufferPool tweak is the worse tweak possible for most fsx configurations (unless you are a computer expert and know what you are doing and why you put the figures into the config).  Using Bojotes tweaks shows me that you have no idea what the tweaks do.  The FSX Configuration Guide was prepared by going to several computer experts across the Internet, including NickN's guides, Paul J guides, Word Not Allowed guides, and other Sources throughout the flight simulation community.  If it makes you feel good to use Bojote's tweaks, use them but do not come here with a crash report if you are using them.

I use to have a lot of CTD's several years ago (and still do occasionally but I know exactly what caused it).  I do not use any tweaks and do not have the uiautomationcore.dll in my FSX folder (I understand Dovetail threw it into their configuration by default which I think is wrong but we'll see in the end who was right about this issue).  CTD's and freezes and AppHangs are very frustrating and I share your pain.  Hopefully you will find a solution.  As I have stated before, there are a few people who have this terrain.dll problem and, from what I have seen, most have fixed the problem by reducing their fsx sliders as we (AVSIM) suggested in the AVSIM CTD Guide (which is based on responses we found around the flight simulation community on how certain crashes, freezes, AppHangs were fixed).  Sure, they will not work for everyone but so far, they have helped most.  If you think a tweak is going to fix your problem so you can max out your sliders, then, use it but please do not frustrate me and others when you are using tweaks and still having the problems.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Tweaks didn't solve the problem for me. The CTD seems time dependent. I've seen many reports, along with mine, that FSX will crash 4-5 hours into a flight, no matter if you are over an ocean, Greenland, or heavy scenery.

Had another Terrain.dll crash this time over Central Australia ... If I remove UIAutomationcore.dll I get a menu crash .

@Sidhant - Appears every recommendation/suggestion I make is absolutely wrong. I will stay out of the fray. I do not think you will ever find a solution unless you lower your settings as your computer must not be able to handle all the processes required to run the product. If you research the terrain.dll error for FSX across the Internet, it's high settings. I'm glad you were able to confirm menu crashes (right clicking on the aircraft panel and selecting an option at least 19 times) if the 18000 version is removed from your FSX-SE folder. Happens for some, but not all. It's a strange crash for sure. I have never used it (except for testing purposes). I have tried to purposely replicate this menu crash and have never been successful. I think it's best it is left out of the main fsx-se folder because it might conflict with the Microsoft.net uiautomationcore.dll errors in your system32, and SysWOW64 folders but obviously, if you are getting menu crashes/freezes after right-clicking the screen at least 19 times and selecting a menu option, in your case, the module is needed. Hope you can somehow find a solution.

The CTD seems time dependent. I've seen many reports, along with mine, that FSX will crash 4-5 hours into a flight, no matter if you are over an ocean, Greenland, or heavy scenery.

Daniel, this has been proven. Any flight longer than 2 hours over heavy scenery, commercial aircraft like Aerosoft or PMDG's, real weather such as ASN, with high settings, and with a high overclock, will sooner or later cause a CTD based on running out of Virtual Address Space (VAS). It can be replicated by everyone 100% of the time. This did not happen several years ago (okay before Sandy Bridge chipset) as the computers were slower and everyone had to lower their settings to get the best fps. Now, with super computers, everyone cranks up the overclock and settings and fsx, fsx-se, and P3D simply cannot handle it. Use the fsuipc utility or Process Monitor to monitor your VAS.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

I have been using these tweaks for some time now ( Only ones I selected ) and so far 31 4 hour flights/  no issues no crashes. I am not bragging I just feel very lucky!

I got tired and reinstalled it in another folder (I uninstalled Steam as well and re\installed it in another folder)

Now going strong for more than 11hrs+ ( YMML-VABB) and now landing!

Try this if you want to!

For those who are having problems with the terrain.dll library and are confused with advices given here, I inform you that, as I thought, its a failure of the FSX Steam version, and Dovetail Games are aware and working on it.

The failure occurs from two or more flight hours, so only users who perform long-haul flights have experienced this problem. Hence we are a minority compared to the total number of users FSX SE. To me, in particular, gives me the error always on the same flight (LEBL-MMMX) when I'm flying over the Atlantic and I'm hundreds of miles from the nearest coast.

Never in all the years I flew with the boxed version of FSX had suffered this error. Neither with Bojote's tweaks or without Bojote's tweaks, and with most settings maxed.

I leave the link to information forum Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/612823460253102801/

Regards

Gerard Cabezón