Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

Where is your FSX?

With so many different opinions on where to install FSX I thought I would ask - Where do you have your FSX installed, what type of drive and why?

examples:

• FSX in C:\Program files (x86), type of drive and why?

• FSX on C: outside of Program files (x86), type of drive and why?

• FSX on a separate drive, type of drive and why?

• Scenery on C: w/FSX, type of drive and why?

• Scenery on separate drive w/FSX, type of drive and why?

• Scenery on separate drive w/o FSX, type of drive and why?

C:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

because that's where it ended up when I backspaced Program Files (x86)\ out of the install path.

C:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

because that's where it ended up when I backspaced Program Files (x86)\ out of the install path.

Very informative, your a gem.

Anywhere but inside of the Program Files folder.

3 different computers, 3 different setups.

On an SSD if possible.

Not on the same drive as Windows, if possible.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Very informative, your a gem.

You asked, I told you. Nice jab. I'll stop there.

I have FSX installed on a 112 GB partiton "X:" on a 240 GB SSD -  X:\FSX

The other 'half' of that SSD contains the Win7 Pro X64 OS.

I have all the folders from my Addon Scenery folder located on another

SSD partition - the J: drive.

The J: Drive is mounted into the empty "X:\FSX\Addon Scenery" folder. This

way I can share it with P3D and FSX-SE.

I have all my OrbX regions, MGlobal, Vector and OpenLC installed on

another SSD partion - my O: drive. This is mounted into the empty "X:\FSX\OrbX" folder.

For P3D and FSX-SE I use 'junctions' to map the various OrbX region folders, etc into

the OrbX folders for those sims after creating the Scripts and FTX Central folders and

files that are unique for each sim. The region folders are 'common' so can be shared.

This saves duplicating my OrbX install of 103 GB two more times.

My "Q: drive" contains the OzX files and is mounted in the empty "X:\FSX\OzX" folder

and also in the empty OzX folders in P3D and FSX-SE.

I have various special scenery files located on my Z: drive and simply point FSX to those

locations when I wish to add them to my Scenery.cfg. These are mission scenery files for

the 91st Bombardment Group missions and related files...special purpose gauges, etc.

I keep my 91st Bombardment Group aircraft (Mostly A2A warbirds) on my Y: Drive.

AI aircraft and other seldom used SimObjects are located on various drives and their

declarations in the fsx.cfg file "SimObjects" section is either enabled or commented out

to effectively remove them from the sim as desired.

P3D V2.4 in located on "R:" - R:\P3D

FSX-SE is the real 'bastage install' located on my "L" Drive.

L:\Steam Library\steamapps\common\FSX

In all, I have 18 "Drives" located on 5 physical drives.  Two SSD's, 240GB and a 500 GB,

plus 2 X 500 GB 7200 RPM Caviars and a 2 TB 7200 RPM Caviar.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

In their normal default directories.

I have 2x versions of FS9 as well as P3D on my i5 4GB W7 64bit laptop.

All installed in C:\Program Files (X86)\Microsoft Games\

All I did was to drop UAC right down & everything has been perfect for the last 3 odd years. Never a problem. I actually wonder if anyone has had a problem installing into default directories? So much has been said about NOT installing there.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

In D:\1FSX on a second hard drive,

Why, the general view was at the time of install was do not install in ProgramFiles86. And the 1fsx keeps it at the first entry so I can get to it a straight away.

Bob

When I installed FSX I first Put it in a blank folder I named FSX on my desktop, then copied that folder into a separate 2 TB hard-drive. By using this method I bypassed all the Program (x86)file system  and other window functions. From what I researched online through many sacred cows of the FSX world,  this process would make FSX run with more stability. I then started FSX and went to the settings menu to setup my custom slider and graphics and ran the program for a few minutes. Once that was done I set up the config folder to set graphics to 4096/ create and set bufferpools to 0/ Added the HIGHMEMFIX=1/ set the Widescreen option from False to True/ Set affinitymask=14 option and some others. Found an option in the FSX.EXE that fools FSX into using more RAM. Most of these tweaks came from Paul otherwise known as the J****SUS tweaks. This guy has a great PDF that help customize and formulate performance for many different systems. Last, I went to the AMD Catalyst Control Center and added FSX.EXE then set up custom settings to help take the load off FSX and let my AMD Control Center take over some graphic functions there. 

So far I am very pleased with the results. No blurry scenery!  There are a few more things you can do with your performance settings in windows that also make a difference. 

Frame rate during flight around 100fps and 30 fps or better in dense areas with cloud and most other third party software running.  There are of course payware aircraft that you must tweak separately.

Default location.  Why?  XP don't need no stinkin' badges :wacko:  Old fashioned spinning HDD.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Me too, no blurrs, remember, high frame setting are a bit of a waste, as we cannot detect more than 30 fps, so 100 frames gives bragging rights, no much more. Try setting to 30f frames, then unlimited, and compare..

Lol.. Not too many sacred cows here.

I've installed into default directories on over 20 PC's at our VA with never a problem. I think the Sacred Cows have been milked!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Mine is on the first partition of a separate, 7200 rpm drive as that was supposed to be the best way to install FSX way back when I first installed it.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

E:\FSX

Yes humans can tell the difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS.

Yes programs love it when UAC is turned off. They install themselves with a user even knowing it,

I have all my sims installed on a separate 240GB SSD drive.

I have all common scenery (scenery that can be shared between different sims, like mesh, landclass, freeware airport AFCADs etc.) on another separate 240GB SSD drive.

Why?

Because I like it neat and tidy, and I only use SSDs as I am extremely impatient.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

D:\FSX

UAC turned off.

No firewall.

No antivirus.

No network connection.

This is a dedicated flight simulation and music production computer. All internet activities are done with a Linux Mint OS laptop which has an on-demand antivirus for checking all Windows based software destined for the other computer.