Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[07FEB15] PMDG 777-200LR/F & 300ER for P3D Released!

I just want to say that if FSX is going to go the way of FS9 and the majority of developers move to P3D and products start costing in the vicinity of $130-$150 or more, that'll be the end of my contribution to this hobby. I don't begrudge PMDG in making money, but I'd urge Robert to keep in mind that there are those of us who cannot afford hundreds of dollars at a time for flight simulation products - no matter how good they might be. To this end, I'd like to see a pricing structure that more accurately reflects this, with affordability the major concern for products targeted at hobbyists and profit the major concern for products targeted for commercial use. Just my two cents.

even though the 777 we are being forced to buy is the same as its FSX counterpart. 

Nope. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything here.

As an owner of P3D and the range of PMDG products I feel like this is a betrayal to myself and the customers who are loyal to the brand.

I think PMDG never promised a discount from FSX to P3d. They made it clear from day one (as far as I remember). I do not understand the disappointment.

I just want to say that if FSX is going to go the way of FS9 and the majority of developers move to P3D and products start costing in the vicinity of $130-$150 or more, that'll be the end of my contribution to this hobby. I don't begrudge PMDG in making money, but I'd urge Robert to keep in mind that there are those of us who cannot afford hundreds of dollars at a time for flight simulation products - no matter how good they might be. To this end, I'd like to see a pricing structure that more accurately reflects this, with affordability the major concern for products targeted at hobbyists and profit the major concern for products targeted for commercial use. Just my two cents.

I think this might be where we leverage XPlane. That all depends on how things develop over time.

As RSR mentioned in another thread:

This isn't about strongarming people out of their money. This is about liability protection for the company, clear and simple:

"It might seem a bit shocking to hear me tell you that the opinions of our faithful FSX customers regarding P3D are unimportant- but here is why:  Unless you are our legal counsel, Boeing or Lockheed Martin- you really don't have a place at the table when we are making strategic decisions with real-world legal and real-world liability implications."

...and...

"I will say this about P3D:  I wish nothing more than for it to be the obvious "go-to" simulation in place of FSX.  It would certainly be easiest for us here at PMDG- but there are business model, licensing, marketplace value and liability considerations afoot- to say nothing of the restrictions placed in print by Lockheed Martin's own legal counsel in their own EULA."

Weird some posts seem to be gone now.....

Yep. It's been stated clearly multiple times in the past that discussion of the pricing policy is strictly forbidden. We've been knocking those posts out as we see them.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, I don't believe PMDG - or any developer, for that matter - strong arms their customers in any way. It isn't possible - Robert isn't holding a gun to anyone's head telling them to buy it and I've found Robert and his team to be the most honourable in this market. I just urge Robert and his team not to forget how this hobby was born - aviation enthusiasts. From those humble beginnings, we've seen updates and innovations that have enabled developers to expand into the commercial realm and thrive as a business, which is great for them. We're not all rich (although some are, I'm sure) and so I just think that with a platform like P3D, there's a unique opportunity for pricing to be able to reflect the two very different markets for P3D - hobby and commercial use.

Well, I am just happy that on this chilly Sunday morning I can finally get at least the 777 on to the P3D platform.  Given the amount of flying I do, nearly 300 hrs in the NGX that works out at quite a small amount of money per flight for a few hours entertainment.  We are also supported by the excellent after sales support and upgrades that PMDG offers.

Thank you PMDG for completing my weekend.

Just give me a few weeks to save for the NGX on P3D please ;)

Brian Crawley

For those of you who are/were unaware, it is against the policy here to discuss our pricing model. For this reason, we've been removing a lot of posts regarding that discussion. There's a lot more that goes into our decisions here that many of you might realize.

There are posts here that I absolutely agree with, and there are some that I disagree with wholly. Both, however, will be removed if they're regarding pricing. For the record, I have a feeling that, if this devolves overnight while some of the mods happen to be sleeping, the tired, bleary-eyed versions of us will be a little less forgiving.

So, in old words of Bungie:

"Keep it clean."

keepitclean.jpeg

Kyle, I don't believe PMDG - or any developer, for that matter - strong arms their customers in any way. It isn't possible - Robert isn't holding a gun to anyone's head telling them to buy it and I've found Robert and his team to be the most honourable in this market. I just urge Robert and his team not to forget how this hobby was born - aviation enthusiasts. We're not all rich (although some are, I'm sure) and so I just think that with a platform like P3D, there's a unique opportunity for pricing to be able to reflect the two very different markets for P3D - hobby and commercial use.

Totally understand. And please trust us that we aren't trying to leave our FSX customers in the dust. That's one of the reasons I think we're trying to find alternate solutions like taking a look at XPlane. It's not a happy thought for anyone that they'll have to change over to a new platform (just ask anyone who's into console games), understandably, but as has been alluded to in many of our posts, we are not approaching P3D like a lot of the community is. Given the constraints we face, we simply can't. I think we'd be pretty remiss if we'd decided to abandon the entertainment/simming-use customers, or even FSX at this point. We haven't stopped development for FSX as of this moment. Eventually that bridge will need to be crossed, but that time is not now.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, I don't believe PMDG - or any developer, for that matter - strong arms their customers in any way. It isn't possible - Robert isn't holding a gun to anyone's head telling them to buy it and I've found Robert and his team to be the most honourable in this market. I just urge Robert and his team not to forget how this hobby was born - aviation enthusiasts. From those humble beginnings, we've seen updates and innovations that have enabled developers to expand into the commercial realm and thrive as a business, which is great for them. We're not all rich (although some are, I'm sure) and so I just think that with a platform like P3D, there's a unique opportunity for pricing to be able to reflect the two very different markets for P3D - hobby and commercial use.

Matthew-

Fear not!

FSX is a solid platform with a good future in the PMDG playbook.  With DoveTail Games taking over development, we anticipate it enjoying a great developmental future in the eventual form of FS11, etc.

PMDG continues to develop with that in mind- but in the mean time we are spreading our wings into the training and enterprise arena by pushing development on the P3D platform.  We view this as an entirely separate enterprise than our traditional, entertainment based products in FSX...

I really do not see pricing going much higher in our FSX/FSX-SE line of products...  Pricing is about where it needs to be...  and I expect the 400v2.0 will be right in the same neighborhood- even though we are planning to pack quite a bit more into that product.

I have been saying for 18+ months that our development in P3D will be targeted to a slightly different audience in the beginning- and a VERY different audience over the long term- and those prices will be higher for many market based reasons.

When we get to Xplane- you will have an even broader range of choices....  That should happen soon enough as well.

So don't fear- we aren't trying to drive you out of the hobby.  For the hobbiest- nothing at all has changed.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

...free update for FSX:SE compatibility (which is honestly what most of you here should probably be using rather than P3D.

I haven't jumped ship to P3D yet, but was kind of waiting for PMDG aircraft and more certainty/clarity on x64 support on P3D as OOM's are driving me mad in FSX.

I was under the impression that P3D was really the only real way forward in flightsim.

I get that P3D isn't meant for purely entertainment flightsimming, but I fail to understand how FSX:SE is a future path for this.

or will this FSX:SE receive continual updates and development for the future, as per P3D?

It seems as if censorship is strong here so I'll just say this. 

I'm very disappointed with PMDG's move. 

One price for the base FSX version, with an upgrade to a more fully featured 64bit P3D product. Naughty I thought at first, but then set it against Majestics Q400... That has a base installer with a more fully featured version yet to be released which will include shared cockpit, just like the 777 supposedly will. There's been no moaning about the Q400 pricing so why should there be over PMDGs? I'll be picking it up shortly but I'll be over the moon when the NGX is out...

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I'm relieved to hear that, Robert. So is my wife, interestingly. She was concerned I might start pestering her for a raise in my allowance!!!

I haven't jumped ship to P3D yet, but was kind of waiting for PMDG aircraft and more certainty/clarity on x64 support on P3D as OOM's are driving me mad in FSX.

I was under the impression that P3D was really the only real way forward in flightsim.

I get that P3D isn't meant for purely entertainment flightsimming, but I fail to understand how FSX:SE is a future path for this.

or will this FSX:SE receive continual updates and development for the future, as per P3D?

Michar-

I am not speaking on behalf of DTG- but based on information that is publicly available, I anticipate they intend to get FSX up and running on Steam, gain developers to sell products via their Steam portal, and then reinvest the earnings to develop a future platform based upon more modern derivatives of the intellectual property that they have licensed from MS.

Not unlike what Lockheed Martin is doing, except that DTG is not allowed to sell into the training sphere, and Lockheed Martin is not allowed to sell into the entertainment sphere.

I hope that helps!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com