Sign in to follow this  
scnrfrq

Add Grass?

I created an airport background terrain polygon with ADE to flatten and exclude autogen/trees. I would now like to add back grass in some areas of the airport. I can't figure out how to do it. Some people say use a grass terrain polygon, but I don't know how to create one in ADE. Can someone help?

I start normal this way : I draw a small square about 20 X 20 M i use "Exclude General"> "Airport Backgrounds" it remove all the airport background include the dirty grass.

Then i draw a "Airport Background" > "Flatten Exclude AutoGen" it's make the airport flat and remove,if there are, trees.

Now is the grass in turn : Draw where you need grass,use  "Land Class" > "Grass" .

You can also click on the flatten and right click copy and past it and move it on the top of the first flatten and double click on it and change it to "Land Class" > "Grass".

Then have you on the whole airport grass.

Jan

Thanks. I did it a little diiferent - I used the airport backgrounds Flatten Mask Class Map
ExcludeAutoGen. This deleted the buildings and trees, and put grass under the whole airport. Your way looks to be the better way though.

The main problem I have is drawing the shape of the polygon. I basically come out with a rectangle, that is really too big and shows too much grass. It looks OK, but I know more experienced users can do it more in the shape of the airport.

If you would ever have time to help, I can send you my saved airport ADE project file for you to take a look. I'm sure you could draw the polygon better.

The main problem I have is drawing the shape of the polygon. I basically come out with a rectangle, that is really too big and shows too much grass.

The best results come from having ADE connected to the sim.

Slew around in Top Down View to where you want a vertex, switch to ADE (Alt+Tab) and place a vertex on the center of the plane marker. If you zoom in real close and "lock" the display to the plane you can be quite accurate.

If you first create an exclude poly to get rid of the default airport poly you can get some good results blending your new poly into the ground textures.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

The best results come from having ADE connected to the sim.

Slew around in Top Down View to where you want a vertex, switch to ADE (Alt+Tab) and place a vertex on the center of the plane marker. If you zoom in real close and "lock" the display to the plane you can be quite accurate.

There is a easier way,if i understand the  way of Joe correct.

Start ADE and FSX,go in top down in FSX,in ADE connect to the plane,so far so good.

In FSX go to the zoom level you need,move your plane to the desired position and click the "M" on your keybord and up to the next position and click "M".

If you later look in the ADE screen you have many markers and you can draw the line for your grass.

What i mean there is no need to switch between ADE and FSX.

Jan

If you later look in the ADE screen you have many markers and you can draw the line for your grass.

What i mean there is no need to switch between ADE and FSX.

That works too.

My method is what I used with SBuilder, back in the day.

I have found that complex shapes get confusing with a bunch of markers on the ADE screen. Simple shapes are OK.

Goes to prove that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif