Sign in to follow this  
TristanAbyss

Upgrading the P3D versions and Addons

I think, it's not the right way just to copy the terrain.cfg into the new location. If an older add-on make changes to terrain.cfg, P3D will never see them. You have to set symbolic links for the moved files (terrain.cfg, airlines.cfg...).

That's one way to do it, you could also copy the terrain.cfg back to the root whenever you install something and then copy it back to the programdata once it's done installing.

Hey bakayoyo can you please list your addons?

I'm wondering which ones work and don't work with this method?

For example VoxATC won't install in 2.5 but I'm wondering if it will operate normally if already installed..

My addons?

a2a - accu-feel, a2a - C182 skylane bundle, a2a - Cessna 172 trainer
Aerosoft - Airbus Extended X, Aerosoft - Airport Enhancement Services, Aerosoft - Antartica X, Aerosoft - Ayers Rock, Aerosoft - Bronco X, Aerosoft - Deutschland X Nord, Aerosoft - Dutch Airports, Aerosoft - German Airports 2 2012, Aerosoft - German Airports 3 2012, Aerosoft - German Regional Airports, Aerosoft - Gibraltar X, Aerosoft - Keflavik X, Aerosoft - Los Angeles X, Aerosoft - Lukla X, Aerosoft - Madeira X, Aerosoft - Mega Aiport Frankfurt X, Aerosoft - Mega Airport Amsterdam FSX, Aerosoft - Mega Airport Brussels X, Aerosoft - Mega Airport Dusseldorf, Aerosoft - Mega Airport Helsinki X, Aerosoft - Mega Airport Munich, Aerosoft - Tahiti X, Aerosoft - Twin Otter X, Aerosoft - US Cities X - Las Vegas, Aerosoft - VFR Germany 2010, Aerosoft - VFR Germany Ost, Aerosoft - VFR London X, Aerosoft - Yekaterinburg X, 
Alabeo - Waco YMF-5
Ants Airplanes - Eaglet Light Sport Aircraft
Captain Sim - 707 Captain, Captain Sim - 767 Captain, Captain Sim - 777 Captain, Captain Sim - C130
Carenado - Cessna C337H Skymaster, Carenado - Cessna Grand Caravan
FeelThere - EJET v2, FeelThere - Embraer Regional Jets V2
Flight 1 - BN-2 Islander, Flight 1 - OpusFSX, Flight 1 - Ultimate Traffic 2
Flight Store - FSUIPC
FlyTampa - Hong Kong, FlyTampa - Montreal X
FRANCEVFR - Alsace, FRANCEVFR - Lille Lesquin LFQQ, FranceVFR - Midi-Pyrenees.vol2, FRANCEVFR - NORD PAS DE CALAIS FSX, FranceVFR - Paris
FS2Crew - PMDG 737 
FSCaptain
FSDT - GSX, FSDT - Honolulu Hawaii, FSDT - KLAX, FSDT - New York JFK
FSGenesis - NextMap
GSNext - Gifu Airbase
Just Flight - 747 200-300, Just Flight - Air Hauler, Just Flight - MD81-82, Just Flight - Traffic 360, Just Flight - Tristar, Just Flight - VFR Real Scenery
LatinVFR - KSAN San Diego
Lionheart - Epic Victory LT, Lionheart - Quest Kodiak
Majestic Software - Dash 8
MegaSceneryEarth - Switzerland
Milviz - 737B, Milviz - Beechcraft Baron 55, Milviz - F15E
OpenVFR - Germany
OrbX - Australia, OrbX - EGHI - Southampton, OrbX - EU England, OrbX - EU Scotland, OrbX - EU Wales, OrbX - FTX AU Traffic, OrbX - FTX Global, OrbX - FTX Global Vector, Orbx - FTX Jacksons, Orbx - FTX KRDD, OrbX - FTX NA Gold NCA, OrbX - FTX OpenLC EU, OrbX - North Island NZNI, OrbX - NZMF - Milford Sound, Orbx - Pacific North West, OrbX - Queenstown ,OrbX - Shoreham, OrbX - South Island NZSI, OrbX - YBAS - Alice Springs, OrbX - YBBN - Brisbane, OrbX - YBCS - Cairns, OrbX - YHBA - Hervey Bay, OrbX - YSCH - Coffs Harbour
Pacific Island Simulation - Marshall Islands, PacSim - Chubu international, PacSim - Jeju International, PacSim - Manila, PacSim - Nagasaki International ,PacSim - Xiamen Gaoqi International
PMDG - PMDG 737 NGX, PMDG - PMDG 777-200
QualityWings - The Ultimate 146 Collection, QualityWings - Ultimate 757 collection
RealAir - Lancair Legacy, Realair - Scout, RealAir - Turbine Duke
REX Studios - Real Environment Xtreme, REX Studios - REXessentials
ScanSim - Copenhagen Kastrup X
Scenerybox - 57 Moselle LD
Technobrain - Naha FSAC ROAH
Thai Creation - Namaste Nepal
UK2000 - Birmingham, UK2000 - Edinburgh, UK2000 - Gatwick, UK2000 - Heathrow, UK2000 - London City, UK2000 - Manchester
UK2000 - VFR Airfields vol.1
Virtavia - C-17 Globemaster, Virtavia - Sea King
Virtualcol - Embraer 170-175
VRInsight - M-Panel

I don't have VoxATC so can't say anything about that. 

For OrbX I disabled the ObjectFlow.dll in dll.xml
For Ultimate Traffic 2 I edited the simobjects.cfg
For FSUICP I installed the latest version 
For  FSDreamteam I installed the latest addonmanager

No major issues so far, I use older weather engines, REX Essential Plus Overdrive and OPUSFSX, they both insert weather, although it seems to be at a significant performance hit with lots of clouds around.

That's one way to do it, you could also copy the terrain.cfg back to the root whenever you install something and then copy it back to the programdata once it's done installing.

Yes, of course you can copy it every time the terrain.cfg has changed. But with a symbolic link you make the change ONCE and then you need not care about in the future.

Yes, of course you can copy it every time the terrain.cfg has changed. But with a symbolic link you make the change ONCE and then you need not care about in the future.

That's true, I just happen to have a personal dislike of symbolic links especially when they span volumes. In my experience only Orbx FTX products modify terrain.cfg and they will eventually release installers that can find the new location themselves. So for me I don't really see the need arising for installing a legacy product that uses terrain.cfg in 2.5.

O.K., you have not to use such newfangled windows things (in unix world symlinks exists since ages and they are useful for many people).

It's only my suggestion.

My addons?

I don't have VoxATC so can't say anything about that. 

For OrbX I disabled the ObjectFlow.dll in dll.xml
For Ultimate Traffic 2 I edited the simobjects.cfg
For FSUICP I installed the latest version 
For  FSDreamteam I installed the latest addonmanager

No major issues so far, I use older weather engines, REX Essential Plus Overdrive and OPUSFSX, they both insert weather, although it seems to be at a significant performance hit with lots of clouds around.

Holy s#$t man, I didn't expect you to list all the scenery!

I just meant utility addons and aircraft :)

But now that you've done that I'm very grateful, thankyou!

I reckon I'm going to use your method, there's just so many customisations I've done it's going to be too long to re-install. I generally hack most of my addons panels and even the titles of my liveries. Not to mention all the AI aircraft customisations etc.

Cheers

Holy s#$t man, I didn't expect you to list all the scenery!

I just meant utility addons and aircraft :)

But now that you've done that I'm very grateful, thankyou!

I reckon I'm going to use your method, there's just so many customisations I've done it's going to be too long to re-install. I generally hack most of my addons panels and even the titles of my liveries. Not to mention all the AI aircraft customisations etc.

Cheers

:D don't worry I didn't actually type all that, I keep my installation files in a directory.

Yes, uninstalling all of that and then starting from scratch would be a nightmare for me too (this doesn't even list all the freeware I run). And not to mention the amount of tweaks (APX.bgl's, FTX Vector to resolve layer/elevation issues), aircraft merges etc. I've applied.

I've updated Step 7 a bit, to keep the updated 2.5 default aircraft from reverting to 2.4:

Step 7
Select all subdirectories in "Prepar3d v2.bak" except:
propdefs, redist, ShadersHLSL, uires (<-So NOT these)
move them into the new Prepar3d v2 directory.
DO overwrite existing files.

Note: I would also advice to copy the new 2.5 effects, fonts, gauges, 
simobjects and sound directories, and paste them over
the backup 2.4 directories before moving them to the 2.5 directory.

Just in case if anyone wants to know, this method didn't work. P3d doesn't even start. Fortunately, I took a full system backup with Acronis before trying this, I can go back to v2.4 in 30 minutes.

Just in case if anyone wants to know, this method didn't work. P3d doesn't even start. Fortunately, I took a full system backup with Acronis before trying this, I can go back to v2.4 in 30 minutes.

It does work for some people. You couldn't start P3D at step 4? At that point you should have a clean untouched 2.5 install. 

No, it worked at step 4 which is a clean install of 2.5 as you said. It didn't work after I copy/pasted files from old install. I am not blaming you bakayoyo. Thanks for tips, it was worth trying. Sim installation is just too complex. Too many addons already. I was anticipating that it wouldn't be so easy. I had 140 gb of p3d installation (which might be still small compared to yours though).

I am going to stick with 2.4. I still don't understand why we should bothering reinstall even patching this godforsaken software. It's 2015 man. People have invented a stuff called auto-update decades ago. All in all, I hope Dovetail somehow can implement shadows into fsx;se. The moment they achieve that I am done with this p3d nonsense.

I am going to stick with 2.4. I still don't understand why we should bothering reinstall even patching this godforsaken software. It's 2015 man. People have invented a stuff called auto-update decades ago. All in all, I hope Dovetail somehow can implement shadows into fsx;se. The moment they achieve that I am done with this p3d nonsense.

You are most certainly entitled to your opinion but your rationale indicates you are clueless as to WHY 2.5 was released as a full reinstall. Fortunately there are MANY who are quite happy with this "godforsaken software". Enjoy FSX:SE.

However, you might want to read the P3D forums to better understand why 2.5 was released this way just for kicks.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I don't care why 2.5 released as a full reinstall. And honestly, I don't want to understand rationale behind it. Do you understand why every software you have is getting updated? I am an end-user not a programmer or technician. If you're reinstalling every other program you possess from scratch when update is needed, then I have nothing say to you. All I am saying is they should implement auto-update feature. This goes for Orbx too. 

No, it worked at step 4 which is a clean install of 2.5 as you said. It didn't work after I copy/pasted files from old install. I am not blaming you bakayoyo. Thanks for tips, it was worth trying. Sim installation is just too complex. Too many addons already. I was anticipating that it wouldn't be so easy. I had 140 gb of p3d installation (which might be still small compared to yours though).

Thank you for the response. I understand the frustration, I think pretty much everyone gets that from time to time managing flghtsim software. I'm not sure Dovetail is going to work wonders on FSX judging from the lack of substantial development on their train simulator. 

P3D failing to start is often related to problems in the dll.xml and exe.dll. Restoring the config in %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2 could have introduced those issues. At least that would be the first place I'd look to correct such problems.

There isn't really "a one size fits all" approach to migrating P3D installations to 2.5, it's always going to require some adaptation to each unique situation. But alternative options are of course starting from a clean install or sticking with 2.4. nothing wrong with that too.