Sign in to follow this  
DarkstarF16

Let's speculate

Come on, let's be honest, it's what we're good at. Having gotten slowely back into the pilots seat after a long forced period of abstenance and not being able to fly i also stopped checking into what was going on in the community.

I hear that Dovtail are to bring out a new simulator based on Microsoft technology. It's clear that a lot of work had been done on Flight to move it to the steam platform. Therefore, it seems logical based on the fact that Dovetail is renowned for taking existing technology and building on it that the 'new' simulator is most likely going to be based on Flight or at the very least it will utilise flights core technology. Thoughts?

I really don't know, but for the time being I am really enjoying the performance of FSX-SE :-)

I have all my add-ons, including PMDG 777 installed on it.

They're starting to release DLCs throught Steam, probably as a way to feel the market too. Depending on the outcome, I believe they can move to a platform merging the best in MS FLIGHT with the best in FSX, but at the same time I read that the code is still MS propriety, and they're only allowed to distribute it through Steam ???? Then I really don't see how a new sim could be made out of that, based on that technology ???

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I really don't know, but for the time being I am really enjoying the performance of FSX-SE :-)

I have all my add-ons, including PMDG 777 installed on it.

They're starting to release DLCs throught Steam, probably as a way to feel the market too. Depending on the outcome, I believe they can move to a platform merging the best in MS FLIGHT with the best in FSX, but at the same time I read that the code is still MS propriety, and they're only allowed to distribute it through Steam ???? Then I really don't see how a new sim could be made out of that, based on that technology ???

Too many sims!  He,He.   I still have SE that I've purchased.  As well as some ORBX scenery, and a few X-Planes, that are just waiting for available time. Haven't even got to the combat simulations, yet, which I know I'll love.

Well, a few weeks back, I did get them to confirm via Facebook that they are using "Flight," not FSX on their new sim. Up until now, they've not really made that clear - saying they're using "Microsoft's flight technology," which sounded very broad without the capitalization on a very key word.

dtg_flight.png

Brandon Filer

Too many sims!  He,He.   I still have SE that I've purchased.  As well as some ORBX scenery, and a few X-Planes, that are just waiting for available time. Haven't even got to the combat simulations, yet, which I know I'll love.

Larry,

congratulations for your return! I also see you got a great rig assembled - at last!!!

I'm on FSX-SE and PSX only in terms of civil sims.... 

Well, a few weeks back, I did get them to confirm via Facebook that they are using "Flight," not FSX on their new sim. Up until now, they've not really made that clear - saying they're using "Microsoft's flight technology," which sounded very broad without the capitalization on a very key word.

dtg_flight.png

Thx for the info Brandon!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I had no doubts that they would use the Flight engine for their sim. It only makes sense.  I for one am looking forward to their offering mainly out of curiosity. Who knows, I might even purchase it. :)

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I will, for sure :-)

Although I haven't installed MS FLIGHT again, and only recently re-installed FSX-SE, and am using a superb weather injector, truth is that indeed I still remember the thrill of flying under adverse weather in MS FLIGHT - it's so ahead of any experience I ever had in FSX....

Then, although I use the PMDGs, and even Aerowinx PSX, the fact that I ended up becoming a fan of combat flight simulators shoewd me another aspect of using these sims that contrasts with vlying a long haul in FSX with that great B777-300, or even using it just for the visuals and vlying with PSX... I ask myself - what's the thrill ? And I remember my aerocache huntings, my missions in MS FLIGHT, that really contributed, together with the overall immersion and quality of it's flight dynamics to the unique experience it ever gave me.

One question.... Should I be intelligent and decide to install MS FLIGHT, can I still do it from GFWL, or should I instead install it through Steam ? I have it in Steam too because I used Steam to buy one of the DLCs....

And, should I want to create Lisbon's scenery, using the default FSX-SE scenery ( well I have ORBX FTX Global over it... ) can I do that ?

I'm probably not having a great time while I wait for whatever the new Dovetail Civil Sim will provide us in the future....

Main Simulation Rig:

Haven't even got to the combat simulations, yet, which I know I'll love.

Go for it ! grab Flaming Cliffs 3 and the f15 eagle DCS x64bit , go on line multi player and feel your heart rate rise as you bust through mach 2 trying to escape a missile aimed at your butt  B)

Between FSX- se and DCS Im having a ball 

ZORAN

Go for it ! grab Flaming Cliffs 3 and the f15 eagle DCS x64bit , go on line multi player and feel your heart rate rise as you bust through mach 2 trying to escape a missile aimed at your butt  B)

Between FSX- se and DCS Im having a ball 

But! For ww2 / ww1 stuff, I honestly think nothing can get you closer to real than RoF and BoS, which are still 32 bit and DX9c, but way ahead of any competition IMO....

Main Simulation Rig:

One question.... Should I be intelligent and decide to install MS FLIGHT, can I still do it from GFWL, or should I instead install it through Steam ? I have it in Steam too because I used Steam to buy one of the DLCs....

And, should I want to create Lisbon's scenery, using the default FSX-SE scenery ( well I have ORBX FTX Global over it... ) can I do that ?

I would avoid the steam version as it had some compatibility issues with the flighttoolkit last time i tried it. Just install the normal GFWL version.

And you can convert FSX or FSX-SE scenery for flight, not just for Lisbon, but globally, using the flightoolkit. See for example this video I just took flying around Lisbon using the converted FSX-SE scenery: http://youtu.be/tCmYCn03tXQ

I would avoid the steam version as it had some compatibility issues with the flighttoolkit last time i tried it. Just install the normal GFWL version.

And you can convert FSX or FSX-SE scenery for flight, not just for Lisbon, but globally, using the flightoolkit. See for example this video I just took flying around Lisbon using the converted FSX-SE scenery: http://youtu.be/tCmYCn03tXQ

Whow!!!!! THX!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

I've been away for a while - and much to my surprise - now learn that one can import FSX scenery.

Not to offend anyone, and I do have a lot of respect for Stonelance's hard work - but for the life of me, I can't see the point. One of the things that drew me to MS Flight was its superior scenery. Now, if I wanted to look at FSX scenery, I'd simply re-install FSX. Or am I missing something ?

I do hope Dovetail will revive MS Flight, along the way attracting talented developers providing us with "genuine MS Flight quality" sceneries.

Just my 2 cents.

I think you are partly correct, but it still gives an option to fly somewhere in Flight that you wouldn't have had otherwise.  On the other hand, it isn't a straight conversion of FSX content.  It replaces many FSX assets with Flight quality ones, specifically: most autogen is replaced with Flight autogen, several land class texture sets and annotations are replaced with Flight textures and annotations, all the airport textures are replaced with Flight textures, all the shaders and lighting\shadows are replaced with Flight functionality, and overall the performance is probably much better.

Of course there are some bugs where some stuff doesn't convert over as it should, but hopefully I can fix those eventually.

I think overall the FSX conversion looks much better than the same areas would look in FSX.  Also, I think even if Dovetail's future product included the whole world it will not be Flight quality.  It takes too much work to do that.  I wouldn't be surprised if they do something similar to what I did with the FSX conversion where the quality is somewhere between FSX and Flight with a couple more high detail areas.  We were in the middle of doing Grand Canyon when Flight was shutdown, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is one of them.

Thanks for the swift reply, Stonelance. That makes a lot of sense, and I'll give it a try then. :)

You're probably right that Dovetail's world won't be Flight quality. But I would still pay good money for a few more Flight qualtiy high detail areas. In the meanwhile, your solution is heaven-sent. Thanks again for all the excellent work.