Sign in to follow this  
HaraldG

New Basel-Mulhouse freeware scenery

Interesting find!

I have the France VFR payware, wonder how it compares?

I'll have a look.

I haven't FranceVFR, so I can't compare. I think the Urben freeware focuses on the airport; although there is a phototerrain (so far a "beta" version without seasonal change) for the airport vicinity included, too, which fits quite well to FS9Evo.

150216C185LFSB1_zps0b9528e4.jpg

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Pretty good freeware I'd say, although obviously I would not trade it for what I have.

Here's a comparable shot from France VFR + LFSB, for interest:

nD98C8.jpg

It don't look that bad. I don't have the France VFR version so maybe I will use this freeware one for now. Does the freeware one use default apron textures? Cause the lighter colored France VFR apron textures look better. If the freeware version is default maybe I will change the apron textures to the lighter concrete.

Remember .... screenshots can be deceiving if colors have been "altered" by the poster to suit their personal taste.

I too have the FranceVFR version.

I wonder whether AES will become available for the freeware version?  Although not saying directly Oliver appears to have a set against FranceVFR airports ... maybe because of their construction, maybe not.   :unsure:

Hi,

1. The phototerrain is optional; one can deactivate it by renaming one file.

2. AES is requested; the Effehsex* version already has it.

* © WingZ

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

* © WingZ
Haha Harald that has been happily declared "Open Source"! please free to disseminate in every appropriate place as required... 

Oliver appears to have a set against FranceVFR airports
Not really, although it's strange LFSB is not in there.

I have AES for: LFLB/LFLC/LFLS/LFRB/LFRS/LFST, ever since I went on a France VFR binge.

Haven't gotten anywhere near covering it all, I keep it for a rainy day prezzie.

Joseph, I didn't understand your question

Does the freeware one use default apron textures? Cause the lighter colored France VFR apron textures look better. If the freeware version is default maybe I will change the apron textures to the lighter concrete.

until now. Yes, the lighter concrete apron from FranceVFR looks better and fits the reality. I honestly don't know if the scenery designer uses default asphalt textures. I was able to edit the file "LFSB_ADE9_HU.bgl" with ADE but I can't test it now as I just begun a long flight...

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

AES is requested

Update: According to Aerosoft's forum the FS9 version of LFSB will get AES support with the coming AES v2.38.

P.S. I was able to edit the afcad file to replace the dark asphalt with concrete/macadam via ADE to my satisfaction.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Thanks to the OP for pointing out this airport - it's very nice!

However, I am currently working abroad and my rather aged XPS M1730, which I use for FS9, won't load the large ground texture files (so I have disabled them).  They are 1024x1024, and I don't doubt that if I changed them all to 512x512, they would load so much more easily.

Anyone have any similar problems? I'd need to find a batch editor to resize extended bitmaps though. At the moment, I can only use DXTBmp (or convimx) + Photoshop, which is going to take all day! Does anyone know a programme that will resize the files without having to go via Photoshop (which renames them all norm.bmp, so I have to manually rename each file back to what it should be - I am not sure I have the patience!). Maybe better I post a separate thread about that...

Thanks,

Martin

Hi. I am talking about the new, freeware airport. I have now reduced all the EA_Ground texture folder bitmaps to half their original size (using DXT3 and a Photoshop macro) - all the other bmps I left alone.

However I added mips to every bmp in the texture folder and this has stopped the shimmering I was getting. I am sure Harry Urben had his reasons for not using mips, but converting the files to mipped bitmaps has made a big improvement and the half-size ground files means that the airport now loads up with no problem.

I haven't changed the AFCAD to get the lighter concrete but I'll have a look at that later - that's easily done in ADE I imagine, as you say GeyerH.

I won't be back in the UK again until September, but I shall be interested to see how LFSB looks with the original files on my main FS PC on my next trip back home. Maybe with that much more powerful PC these changes won't be necessary...

Thanks again (and especially to Herr Urben for this nice scenery),

Martin

Hi Martin,

editing the Afcad was easy but time-consuming as Harry had defined many small and very small parts of taxiways with asphalt surface. Best way to edit them was from the appropriate list not to forget one.

Regarding mips - every system seems to behave different. On mine, I often get blurries with mips but clear texture without.

Regards, Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Yes, that's true Harald (I remember now that GeyerH is you!). On this occasion, mips improve the look of the airport no end, on my setup...

I think I'll leave the AFCAD as it is, it looks OK to me  :-)

All the best,

Martin