Sign in to follow this  
max2770

I am SO glad I saw the light!

"I can always buy new hardware"

Can you give me some examples?....I really considering a 6 core CPU ( I have I7 4790) etc etc...but not too sure.....

Pedro

Hi Pedro,

My advice FWIW, don't say anything yet..., is to save up for your next build BUT, built in as much flexibility & upside as able, at the time you do your build.  I did this 2.3 years ago for FSX, and I used a hexacore SB-E processor that over clocks well by all accounts, a main board that supports 4-way SLI, a GTX Titan GPU, and 32Gb of the fastest ram I could find that worked w/ the other parts.  I still think is always the way to go when the future hardware demand isn't completely well known, and when is it ever?

This allowed me to be able to exploit multi-core use better, did not deteriorate single core performance significantly, left me some headroom SHOULD SLI become a no-brainer which is clearly isn't quite yet, and gave me enough horsepower to run the current stuff very close as good as someone who might have spent less, opted for slightly better single core performance, frame rate and smoothness, and so forth.  I use HT enabled and have excellent total performance defined as excellent image quality, fast texture update rates, utilization of 10 cores as terrain loaders, and still 2y later the thing runs P3D V2.2 w/ PMDG T7 amazingly well.  This box still has some upside because if and when DX-12, Kepler and beyond's Dynamic Parallelism & GPUDIrect are better utilized in P3D & SLI is optimized, and when 64-bit comes along, I'll have ample VAS to exploit since I have 32Gb of 2400Mhz ram running at just under that, and I do have more upside in overclocking, again because SB-E is a decent over clocker, and already w/ very modest vCore (1.32) I'm solid at 4.423Ghz.  I could thrash it w/ more volts but the benefits are marginal really.  When I ready to dispose of this chip or be prepared to replace it w/ IB-E which of course my main board supports, I can give it some volts and get it up to 4.7 or 4.8 or so, but now w/ stable HT enabled 12 virtual cores it's not really worth the hassle and cost of replacing this CPU.

So by all means, hang out w/ what you have, and see what comes along when 64-bit P3D comes along, and all of those other goodies.   If n when SLI really can be utilized to exploit the additional technologies mentioned above this could well be the game changer for all of us.  This, as you may or may not have guessed, is pure conjecture since I really don't know the full upside in those technologies, but on paper they seem plausible.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

My FSX works very well indeed. :smile:

Still, I appreciate the reports from actual P3D users. It's more a question of 'when' rather than 'if' to make the change for me, especially with P3D V3 looming. 

im here as well 

however with my blackout screen issues, i think i will be trying it sooner than later 

Thanks 

JHo

I am a FSX user and will likely be for quite some time,

You are probably waiting for P3D v4.2. 

Cheers, Rob.

You are probably waiting for P3D v4.2. 

Cheers, Rob.

LOL 42

That version of P3D will be developed by the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, built with GPP....Genuine People Personalities, hopefully it won't be the prototype.

marvinParanoidAndroid.png

I installed it this week.Still getting all my scenery and aircraft loaded up but have decided that FSX is coming off my PC in the morning. If I find the need to go back to it for whatever reason I purchased SE a while back and can install it. Loving P3D!

Richie Walsh