Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

P3D Hotfix posted

Look into the forums:...

We seem to be cross purposes - I was rerfering complaining about  SDKs etc.

i'm not into day-time job is coding and debugging but on the other hand I've downloaded previous versions of v2.x with no problems - possibly because I to the the time to read the instructions?

"There remain a number of of customers complaining..."

Who are they?

Count me!  Based on circumstantial evidence, I think LM's product testing consists of finding a coworker that's not too busy...'hey, do you mind giving this new code a run around the block?'

You'd give me a real shock if you told me they even bother with a tight beta.

Dan Downs KCRP

Cheers, Rob

Thanks for the info. I didn't come across quite as planned. I was thinking also in terms of perception. That's what I get for trying to be glib :) I speak from ignorance of the technical issues, but it seems to me that the changes in 2.5 were not monumental.

If you don't mind my picking your brain a bit more...making the necessary changes so that the program will compile, is not half the battle. Is that correct? If so, do you see LM producing a framework that will allow developers to test run their product in advance? I assume there will be considerable beta testing, but I'm thinking more of a skeleton that would allow a devloper to get to a place where, when the beta does roll out; it's not start from scratch.

As a user this will be abstracted away from me. It is just quite interesting. It is understood that you may not wish to comment further, given your official relationship with LM.

Thanks.

If your day-time job is coding and debugging this may be fine with you. But some want the simulator for, well, just simulation. We all have only one life, and at my age (62+) you start thinking about the remaining time of life.

Good points Michael. I can't help but think that, at times, we do make it a bit harder on ourselves than it needs to be. This is not directed at anyone in particular, but I will illustrate with an 'I knew that would happen' moment.

As soon as I installed 2.5, I created symbolic links to the new locations of the repositioned files. Links to all files was probably overkill, but I got to use Orbx. Now if I'd left it there, it would have been totally painless. I ran P3D and got the warning about objectflow. I prevented the dlls from running. OK.

We all know the kid who couldn't resist putting his tongue on the railing at -15 Celsius...(I did that too) . In order to get rid of the annoying messages, I renamed the dlls. That blew the simulator down the toilet. I won't bore you further with my efforts to fix it. What saved my a-s was my very fast, accurate disk imaging program. When I do an install, I make an image after each change, knowing I'll get curious.

After restoring my system, I actually looked in dll.xml, how novel, and disabled the dlls. There is a point here somewhere...oh yes,

If this was a nearly flawless, Stepford Wife of a simulation, I doubt I'd still be using it; at least as often. Perhaps I am not the only one. I recall Archie comics...yes I'm that old. I'll go out with Veronica (FSX/P3D). But after I get run over and left for dead, I'll go looking for Betty (Shadowprotect Desktop). I urge anyone who uses a lot of addons, tweaks the simulator or is just curious; to get a good disk imaging program.

Sorry for the long post. Once I got going, I had to see it through.

Does anyone know when LM will update their download files with the latest hotfix? I checked just now and it still shows the pre-hotfix version.

I uninstalled then manually removed all P3D files from my older PC. Was about to try installing V2.5 on my newer PC but now I read of this hotfix and all the bad memories are flooding back.

UPDATE: And now on trying to access their own forum I see, yet again:

Error establishing a database connection

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Was about to try installing V2.5 on my newer PC but now I read of this hotfix and all the bad memories are flooding back.

Shouldn't have bad memories. 2.5 + the hotfix are fine. The 3PD's just have to catch up. LM is working hard to provide a stable platform but they're still dealing with the old code. Bit by bit as they make changes to the old code base and the dev's get used to their changes, I believe we'll see fewer issues with incompatibilities.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors