Sign in to follow this  
cbtaylor

PIREPs from this year's race

The race has been in progress over 24 hours now, and the teams have traveled over 11,500 miles each so far.  You can check out each team's progress here at fsrtwrace.com.  Lots of interesting happenings, with the teams tracking very closely up until a recent marked divergence by Flightsim.  It will be very interesting to see how it all turns out.

Jeff and I recently had a very interesting experience flying from Port-au-Prince to Margarita Island off the coast of Venezuela.  I'm sure it would have been a wonderful flight under normal circumstances, but Jeff and I encountered one of the worst thunderstorm fields I have ever experienced in my years of flightsimming.  We selected to fly the leg at 13,000 for optimum performance, but we regretted that decision as our Active Sky Next applications bounced us about quite severely, pitching about, rolling almost knife-edge, and yawing our F-80s nearly 90 degrees off track.

At one point I must have entered a "super cell" thunderstorm.  First the nose of my aircraft was turned about 50 degrees off track.  No sooner had I switched off my autopilot to return to the proper heading, when I was rolled upside down.  As I tried to roll right side up my screen blacked out from significant positive g's.  Unbeknownst to me, I had been thrust upwards to about 23,000 feet.  My screen cleared momentarily, and then displayed a red-out as I then experienced severe negative g's.  Eamonn said the duenna tracker showed me at over 5,000 fpm climb, followed very shortly with a -2,500 fpm descent.  Fortunately we cleared the weather system shortly after that and were able to continue on our way without further drama.

Sorry there are no pics from this particular trip, but we were "a little busy" in the cockpit.  :lol:

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

Been flying with avsim now yet another race. and i must say not our best race so far. a couple of crashes and most of the race flown in either bad weather or at night makes things complicated. But as every year we keep spirit high and encourage each other to get flying. Our dear Ron did not escape the faith of a rookie pilot and crashed. fortunate it did not cost us any time.  much different for us veterans  we have accummulated a fair share of crashes.

i am soon to be back at the stick and preparing for it.  i took of in a cup to take som epic of HARV and BRY  of their WC legnOgJceM.jpg

lArbODo.png

The sun coming two thirds into the long wildcard flight was a welcome sight, especially considering where i was landing

Harv.png?dl=1

Nothing special about my flying Wing for Eamonn from Key West to Port-au-Prince. We climbed out in the Florida sunset and flew through the mildly turbulent tropical night. And enjoyed a light conversation as we did our job to deliver the baton to Jeff and Craig waiting in their Shooting Stars. They were readying for their now infamous Flight 666 (that was the distance) from Haiti to Margarita Island. See Craig's post above.

The climb out, however, afforded one of those "aviation art" opportunities.

RTWR2015_Climb_out_of_Key_West.jpg

--Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Our final leg from Sibu, Borneo to Bali was memorable as a dozen of us can attest. As we were waiting, Craig and Eamonn absolutely nailed their Formation Flight, practically landing inside each other's cockpit. Here is a snap shot of their landing just over the Mustangs of Harv and Bry who are waiting to carry the final baton.

RTWR2015_Final_Formation_Craig_Eamonn.jp

From their scouting, Harv and Bry had reported a massive storm cell that ran from Borneo down to Bali. In fact, when we took off the destination reported a thunderstorm, heavy rain, and 1sm visibility. Like fools we took off in Cold War jets and Mustangs without worrying too much about the danger… Reaching altitude, however, it became apparent that Mother Nature was having some fun. We were all tossed about and had to work hard to move forward in the general direction of our target. My F-80 was thrown to the right and flipped uncontrollably into a 180 degree turn. I struggled to handle the aircraft only to discover that the violent thrusts had blown out the jet engine. A hot restart worked and I was able to recover the original course. No screenshots of that hairy moment, but you get the general drift with the photo below.

RTWR2015_Storm_Tossed_Shooting_Star.jpg

Through periods of alternating tranquility and violent storms, we were able to make our way to Bali. With flashes of lightning and booming thunderstorms in the area, we bounced down to discover only "mild turbulence" on our final approaches. Quite a challenge, at that.

Here is a shot of some of the large crowd awaiting Harv's final landing. (DC and Jeff in the Sabres.)

RTWR2015_Harv_Landing_Bali.jpg

And here is the overhead tracking picture that shows Avsim's final flight finish just ahead of the FlightSim pair as they approach and land at Bali.

RTWR2015_Final_Race_Avsim_v_FlightSim.jp

Avsim finished first "on the ground" but incurred enough penalties to finish in third place, one hour behind the winners FlightSim and one half hour behind Sim-Outhouse.

We tip our caps to Harv and Bry who were able to carry the baton through the storm. And we give thumbs up to the pilots of FlightSim and Sim-Outhouse who made the same journey at the same time. The SOH pilots managed to execute a Formation Flight within one second of each other … quite an achievement. So best to all for the final flight of 2015.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

So this will be picture heavy.

At Bali, waiting for the start of the race, everyone is pumped. ;)

8ea10ac17fa09adfa9cd27921af8a4fe.jpg

Enroute to Australia, was a bit turbulent due to a passing Cyclone.

ad1e5ff1ce1ae8ec77de95284abfad6a.jpg

Landed at the 1st airport, my wingman (Jeff) made it there first because I had an FSX crash so I was a couple minutes behind but Jeff's airplane left a crater at the beginning of the runway, but I managed to pull off the landing on that small dirt strip.

0d611a37298df6bff6337e43e45f362a.jpg

Longest Wildcard flight to California, sun finally rising.

8f88ff1a57d840411f8725fd6cc84c8c.jpg

Descending into Oxnard.

436f4085198bd9a9dc16a3c80b3fe007.jpg

Because I landed before Dave(StoneCold), I captured his landing over a bunch of extra 300's

fc02c03f3ca10f7cce11c33124049f30.jpg

Some Extra shots from our teamflight.

15725f33f2d8fff3dc67fdba139728ec.jpg

e8ddb29fb07dfd3a9b8af15970b41382.jpg

Landing at Van Nuys

b9cea16e71d0deb09b8cf3afbd25fa78.jpg

Getting setup for what could possibly be the hardest flight of the race. We had to get a 737 into Hotan at night. Hotan had no lights, barely any scenery and the airport has very few good navaids and pmdg's database had the airport in the wrong spot (by 1/4 mile) and the approach in its database would land you into a tree, so it was a challenge to say the least.

d4f77e07d9cb2aa55fe6d9f1cd5c365c.jpg

Roman was my wingman, there he is off my left side.

fb1b454fc64b5b98470d7a85474d2c6e.jpg

There is the runway finally, I needed to have some team members sit on the runway just to see the runway. This was my decision height, if I wasn't positive I'd make it, this was the point of abort.

e1cfb2007618d0a883113b53c51368ea.jpg

ae2aee707bbf8485cc16cfbfc17ed65d.jpg

606018676de4cab641ae540534b8da64.jpg

Dave heading out on a CJ leg, flew beside him for a short while.

445e872e67f60ae48cd80faa00aba730.jpg

Waiting in China for Dave to arrive on his CJ leg (I jumped ahead), I sat at the end of the runway for some screenshots, it looked however that the wake turbulence from my non-moving airplane flipped him onto the runway and he crashed. :(

31bc4be273bedac7e7e2b97297ffffc1.jpg

Some shots of my formation flight with Craig into the penultimate Airport Sibu. It was 1:30am for me for this flight and I was falling asleep at the controls on the way across the ocean on this one.

64ebee71b1f1b38f41fcb3cb961d3932.jpg

58a7771a1c8dcf0052a13e1cdf33e8ab.jpg

cbc2b1f37b9b897fb25c85b023ac45ce.jpg

Final flight into Bali, I flew the 777 in my own livery with the team while we flew into some really heavy thunderstorms, my weather radar lit up like a christmas tree at the baton's altitude.

5c7af251b6b6bc16375bcb925360ace0.jpg

f82e46a3b75ce34a48f5bac4edbec8b7.jpg

9fd57e62ff3176f59fbf89fc679e95f9.jpg

e23e5691db57dafaf42e0ffb49e1eb15.jpg

f019875d5a7d3e4e867328cc4b535250.jpg

668dd206528b9d0efe32c6946e903871.jpg

a7cbf262e0bcca117a6788d6c6d208e8.jpg

199c7662447600033bb799b01bcb4dc8.jpg

3e9bb395b67a11642ddc80a25a1fa584.jpg

f3618cac31b82c5b86568041f649512f.jpg

9694c93ec21ac60ca434764da57ccf92.jpg

spacer.png

Early Saturday morning, the Europeans come in to take over from the relatively alert North Americans, flying the baton into the Pacific night. My first flight of the race was as baton pilot, with Rolf as my wingman, heading to Nauru. By the time we got there, the sun was down, rendering clouds, water, sky and land dark. Approaching the island at a right angle to the runway direction, not even the runway lights where visible until we got very close to the airport.

A couple of legs later, it was time to take the baton to Honolulu. Bry took the baton, I came along as wingman in the F-80.

PHNL-landing.png

Landing at Honolulu in the F-80. Quite a few King Airs on the ground, waiting for the baton arrive.

teamflight.png

A few King Air then headed for Maui.

During the wildcard leg to Oxnard, my internet connection died, rendering the team's multiplayer capability a bit crippled. Luckily, backups were available, but for me the Saturday's racing came to an early end.

When I got back up on Sunday morning the internet connection was up again, so I was back in the race! The European shift got to fly into dawn as Harv and Bry took the baton into Cape Verde, where Jock and Nick picked it up and headed to Dhakla.

gmmh-landing.png

Nick landing, me and Leon waiting to take the baton to Tenerife. The early morning weather at the destination were low visibility and rain. By the time we got there however, the weather had cleared up and landing was not an issue.

bry-gmtn-landing.png

Bry on approach into Marocco.

rolf-nick-gmtn-takeoff.png

Rolf and Nick taking off for their formation flight to Mallorca.

After Mallorca, we headed for the South China Sea, flying into the night over Russia.

zwtn-runway-lights.png

Hotan, China, didn't have runway lights, so we had to provide our own for Eamonn and Roman.

From Sanya Phoenix it was a mad dash back to Bali, with us leading FlightSim by a few minutes.

mike-vietnam-landing.png

Mike landing in Vietnam, handing the baton off to Craig and Eamonn for the penultimate leg.

wbgs-landing.png

Craig and Eamonn landing in formation as the rest of us are ready to join Harv and Bry for the final leg.

Damn! That looks like fun! :rolleyes:  My hat's off to you all. To think I had the effrontery to think I could be one of you. You're all l337! 

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Not too many shots during this race. My screenie program was not on the checklist therefore every time I seen something it was too late or "damn"! forgot to start the screenie proggy.

A bunch of King Airs leaving Honolulu for Hana..It sounded like a bunch of rabid bees or mosquitoes. (the blood sucking bug) 

team.jpg

The only screenshot I took prior to the last legs - Jock and I in the Hornets over the N.Mediterranean Sea attempting a formation flight. 30 seconds after this shot my computer went belly up and we scrapped the formation for a 20 min penalty.

Screen_02222015_085148.jpg

Much, much, later in the race, awaiting the final leg - Craig and Eamonn doing the final formation flight approx 1/2 mile out.

Screen_02222015_235820.jpg

Craig and Eamonn, over the threshold, Bry & Harv. A bunch of kerosene burners in the background waiting for the last leg.

Screen_02222015_235840.jpg

The final leg & everyone is up for the run.

Screen_02232015_000708.jpg

A bunch of jets waiting for Harv to show up. Eamonn & Jock off in the distance. A warm, humid and noisy (thunderstorms) day in Bali.

Screen_02232015_013907.jpg

A closeup of Jock and Eamonn. "Negative big fella, the little horse is #1"

Screen_02232015_014035.jpg

There's Harv! Gingerly bringing the 51 Hotel in for a smooooooooooooooooth landing.

Screen_02232015_014138.jpg

Rollout complete, Duenna is green. That's all she wrote folks.

Screen_02232015_014233.jpg

Nick smartly bringing in the 86.

Screen_02232015_014443.jpg

Craig had a hydraulic malfunction on close final. He's just over the deck doing a gear cycling. The legs came out in time.

Screen_02232015_014636.jpg

No race is complete until Bry hops in a chopper to take pics and videos following the last leg.

Screen_02232015_014736.jpg

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap