Sign in to follow this  
flynman33

Windows 10 and FS9

Does anyone know early on if Windows 10 will have any conflicts with FS9. You know any issues that will make it not usable?

They are going to offer it to those like me who are using Windows 7 and I certianly dont want to switch an then be without my FS9 and FS10.

Thanks

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 FTW GPU

Download the preview and test it, It installs over your Win 7 but uninstalls cleanly restoring your W7 back to its original state.

I tried it last week but it is not for me, butt ugly interface.

I certianly dont want to switch an then be without my FS9 and FS10.

Also be aware that some developers eg. iFly/Flight1 do not support even Windows 8.  Therefore if you discover issues you may be on your own.

but it is not for me, butt ugly interface.

Hi Glynn ... Win 7 had a choice of selecting the 'Classic' interface which I personally prefer.  Win10 doesn't offer that option?

I never looked for the Classic interface as I never use it  (too slow and CPU bound)

But I found little in the way of customisation, but I am aware it is still in early developement.

The OS looks like it was designed by a bunch of pre-school children one of whom was possibly colour blind.

It will be the only game in town when we need to go DX12 so if P3D goes that route then we will just have to get used to it.

the Classic interface as I never use it 

Many thanks for the info Glynn.

Hello:

I have not tried the excellent freeware "Classic Shell" add-on in Windows 10 yet, but have used it with great success in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.x. :Idea:

Highly recommended to restore the classic desktop and Start button etc. to more recent versions of Windows  !   :wink:

http://www.classicshell.net/

http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3449

GaryGB

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The FS2004 (FS9) Forum" to "WIN10 OS Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Does anyone know early on if Windows 10 will have any conflicts with FS9. You know any issues that will make it not usable?

They are going to offer it to those like me who are using Windows 7 and I certianly dont want to switch an then be without my FS9 and FS10.

Thanks

After testing Windows 10 since March I must say that compatibility with FS9 has been a hit and miss but improving. Having said that however, the last build of Windows 10 (build 10130) at least for me it broke the FS9 main menu and alt menu when running in full screen mode and it just shows a black screen. The sim itself runs fine in Windowed mode displaying the main menu and when in flight while in full screen mode but you can't access flight maps to consult frequencies and headings in FS9 because that would run under the same environment of FS9s main menu showing a black screen.

I hope this is a momentary issue and not something permanent as FS9 was working flawlessly in Windows 10 build 10122 released a week earlier. Apparently the next build will be released next week so it is possible this is a temporary quirk rather than a permanent one.

Fingers crossed.

I am throwing this question to the community... Is the same issue I am describing on this thread happening to your Windows 10 test computer with preview build 10122?

Thanks!

After testing Windows 10 since March I must say that compatibility with FS9 has been a hit and miss but improving. Having said that however, the last build of Windows 10 (build 10130) at least for me it broke the FS9 main menu and alt menu when running in full screen mode and it just shows a black screen. The sim itself runs fine in Windowed mode displaying the main menu and when in flight while in full screen mode but you can't access flight maps to consult frequencies and headings in FS9 because that would run under the same environment of FS9s main menu showing a black screen.

I hope this is a momentary issue and not something permanent as FS9 was working flawlessly in Windows 10 build 10122 released a week earlier. Apparently the next build will be released next week so it is possible this is a temporary quirk rather than a permanent one.

Fingers crossed.

I am throwing this question to the community... Is the same issue I am describing on this thread happening to your Windows 10 test computer with preview build 10122?

Thanks!

I have the same window issue in window's 8.1 when first starting the sim i can't run anything in full screen so i set everything up in windowed mode then go to full screen right before flying.

Download the preview and test it, It installs over your Win 7 but uninstalls cleanly restoring your W7 back to its original state.

I tried it last week but it is not for me, butt ugly interface.

Please people install BETA software on a test computer! no guarantee that it will install everything back to its original state.  The interface isn't that bad:

screeny.png

Fingers crossed.

Thanks!

I have exactly the same issue in Windows 10 pro: main menu and alt menu when running in full screen mode shows a black screen