Sign in to follow this  
sumnr5@yahoo.com

Crash on exit

I have not seen this post yet, so I hope this is not a repeat. But when I exit the program an error window comes up which is sent to a support group. When I go to restart xpx, I get a warning that app is already running.  The only way to get program to run is to reboot PC.  I also bought program from steam, so I can't find a way to upgrade to 10.35.  I was told this upgrade may fix my exit problem. I hope I have not thrown away 60 bucks. Thanks

Steve Sumner

Hi Steve

Firstly, do you have any plugins installed? Sometimes plugins can cause this crash upon exit. 

Secondly, 10.35 is still beta, and they don't release the betas on steam until stable, so you'll need to wait until it goes final, and they'll push the update.

Tony

Yes, sounds like a plug-in or other background program.  I don't recall having any similar problems with 10.32, nor with 10.35b2 which I'm on now.

Well, Steam is a background program with its own overhead, so that may be a problem.  I know they did have some problems with Steam in prior versions.  I don't know which version Steam uses.  I'm always on the latest beta (10.35b2).

I have done everything  possible and x-plane still crashes on exit. Same message on restart, " app already running"  Have to reboot PC to enable restart of sim. Just uninstalled program. Staying with FSX.  An expensive lesson.  

Steve Sumner

Sorry.  No one else is having trouble, so I'd look to your system and find out what is causing the problem.  It's not XP.

Well, I don't mean to be a jerk about it, but why is it just your experience and we're not hearing from anyone else about it?  If it were an XP bug of some kind, everyone with XP from Steam would be all over this forum complaining or at least asking about it.  Your post is the only one.  Process of elimination.

You have given no information on what operating system you're using.  Windows or Mac?  32-bit or 64-bit?  WinXP, Win7, Win8 or Mac OS version?  Have you looked through the MemoryLog.txt and Log.txt files to see what might show up there?  Are you running XP in windows or full screen?  Are you using the red "X" in the top right corner of your Windows screen (if you're using Windows) to exit or do you use the menu to exit?  What system RAM and VRAM do you have?  I don't use Steam but I know they are a version or two behind and had some problems with the first one.  Is the "app already running" the Steam app or XP?  Is the warning an OS warning or an XP warning or a Steam warning?  You don't say which one.  What does your Task Manager (or Mac OS equivalent) show you is still loaded and running?  Do you have any plug-ons installed?

We would be happy to help, but you've given us nothing to go on.

Windows 7 home premium. 8gig of memory.  64bit. log.txt files don't show anything. I close out using exit from menu bar. In windowed view. I verify cache files on hand. Always verify files in cache. because of missing file or two. I re verify and then all files are good.  When I exit a window opens saying a report has been made. I give e-mail address and a  brief note then send. I try to restart program, and I get a message saying ,app is already running. So something is not closing all the way down on exit. I was told that v. 10.35 may fix this because there have been other users with the same problem. So I guess I just have to wait for the released version to come out.  Do a reboot of PC, and X-Plane loads ,no problem. I tried cntr-alt-delete, but no programs are shown running. One support person told me to load more scenery, but cannot see where that would make a difference in shut down procedure. What else do you need? It would be nice to fly this sim as a change of pace from FSX.   Thanks           I can be a pain in the ___.

Steve Sumner

One support person told me to load more scenery, but cannot see where that would make a difference in shut down procedure

I'm not really sure how that would help in anyway. 

The log files aren't particularly helpful when X-Plane crashes to the desktop unfortunately. All I can say is that I've had this problem before and it was due to a plugin (which could be from an installed plane or even scenery). When I shut down X-Plane it would just crash, but I could just relaunch it again. Since almost nobody else has reported the issue here, it has to be something about your steam install or configuration (even a small thing you can think of that others might not have). Have you tried contacting Laminar Research directly, they are normally pretty helpful?

Also, I don't have Windows around at the moment, but when it hangs, if you go into Task Manager, I think there is a tab called "Services" or "Processes". If you go into there, and make sure you tick the "Show processes from all users", have a look at the list (maybe sort it my memory usage or CPU) and post a screenshot here. Sometimes it will give a clue where the fault lies. You might see that Steam has hung, or X-Plane or some service is hanging and keeping it open till you reboot.

Did a fresh re-install of program. All files are verified. Even installed European scenery.  Ran in full screen.  Exited using task manager. Window came up saying x-plane has quit working, looking for a solution.  I go ahead and cancel. Program closes. Restart no prob.  Go back to windowed mode. Shut down using task manager.  Get old error message, and cannot restart without rebooting. 

Steve Sumner

Update.  Started program without starting steam first.  Closed program using task manager. No problem on first two attempts. Restarts good. On third attempt, same ole,same ole. Time to reboot.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Steve Sumner

If I close XP with the red "X" in the top right of the screen when in window mode, I get a warning that XP has quit working.  If I close it from the menu (File->Quit), it closes normally.  So I never use the window "X" to close XP.

X-Plane 10.35b2, HD mesh v2 and UHD mesh v1, Windows 8.1 64-bit with i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz, GTX 970 4GB VRAM and 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

I have an exceptionally clean system, just built, used almost exclusively for simming.  I do have many plug-ins installed including STIM hangers, XPUIPC, SkyMaxx Pro, FlyWithLUA, XPRealWX, AirportNavigator, whatever Carenado uses, and a couple of others related to scenery construction.

Does it have anything to do with a Steam validity check since you started 3 times without Steam?  I don't have Steam on my XP computer, just on my "old" one.  Have you checked the Steam forums or posted a question there?