Sign in to follow this  

Stutters, Vsync, SimConnect ... a possible source of the problem?

I stumbled upon this find tonight ... I'm definitely NOT making any revelations here but I thought it important to share my experience.

As some of you know I had just finished a new PC build and had installed P3D v2.5.12942.0 -- it was working extremely well, smooth as butter with high graphic settings at 3840 x 2160 ... all good.

So I download the full v2.5.12943.0 (call it 12943) from my account page and proceeded to uninstall v2.5.12942.0 (call it 12942).  To this point I had never tested the 12943 build.  I wiped out the related folders to ensure all was gone.  Installed the new 12943 and set the graphics settings the same as 12942.  I select the same location as my test in 12942, same weather and start the F22 out of KSFO.  I soon noticed that my VSync was not working and then lots of stutters ... what happened to my butter smooth P3D v2.5?

So after trying everything ... uninstall, re-installs, etc.  I was just about to give up ... then I noticed in my Control Panel - Uninstall programs - I had both the ESP SimConnect client installed AND the FSX SP2 SimConnect client installed.  So I uninstalled the ESP SimConnect client and tested build 12943 ... viola, problem solved, frame rates back to butter smooth and VSync working perfectly.

Obviously there are many things that can cause stutters beyond what I just bumped into tonight, so this isn't some revelation of a cure for everyone's Vsync and stutter problems ... it's only one of many possible causes that might be worth looking into for those that have Vsync or Stutter issues.

BUT, before uninstalling SimConnect Client (if you have two or more versions installed) ... you may want to check to see which 3rd party product needs it and if they tie to a specific version of SimConnect ... most will go the LCD route and will work with the FSX SP2 SimConnect -- but there maybe exceptions.

NOTE: should also include that I have custom SimConnect.xml, SimConnect.ini, and SimConnect.cfg files as I communicate with my other PC for remote processing (i.e. weather, flight tracking, etc.)

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob

Could it be that you updated the NVIDIA Geforce driver from an earlier version to the latest one, 347.52? I am running FSX in DX10 mode with DSR and recently updated this driver. Since then my vertical synch, set to 1/2 refresh rate, doesn't work any more, although set correctly in NVIDIA Inspector as well as in NVIDIA control panel. I therefore consider going back to an earlier driver version.

Felix

Could it be that you updated the NVIDIA Geforce driver from an earlier version to the latest one, 347.52?

No, only change to my system was the addition of ESP SimConnect when I had the FSX SP2 SimConnect running.

I had gone thru all the other diagnostics ... and was about to give up ... then I noticed the two SimConnect clients installed, uninstalled the ESP SimConnect and problem solved, Vsync was back and working and no stutters.

Cheers, Rob.

Hmm, interesting...

However Rob, do you possibly know where to find the ESP Simconnect client installer? I believe it comes with the P3D installer, but the setup has to be commenced to unpack the files (including the Simconnect client, I guess) in the ProgramData\Package Cache folder. If I run the P3D setup, I only get an option to do a complete uninstall.

I would actually like to try and uninstall the ESP client, but I`ve already searched for the client and couldn`t find it yet in case I`d need it agian.

Regards,

Matej

Matej Stavanja

Hi Rob,

just checked my control panel. I do have to simconnects installed like you on ESP v1.0.20.0 and v10.0.61259 which is needed for the EZCA v1.18.x beta. Am runnning the hotfixed v2.5 (12942) No problems at all with visuals. fluid and smooth here.

One thing that might help for some folks, im running the sim on an BenQ 1080 WST beamer. The best outcome in terms of FPS and stutters is to turn down the refresh rate to 59Hz and either 60 or unlimited FPS within the sim. I tried all the refreshrates from 60 down to 29Hz @ 1080i. Below 50 and 29Hz were the wordt. 30Hz @ 30FPS was quite good but flying into orbx KVTL was a stutter fest.

But one of the keys to a flid smooth P3D2 are the sim settings as well as the scenery settings. 

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

HI Rob,

I decided to have a wee look at my folder as well and discovered 4 of these! Grief!!

SimConnect v 10.0.60905.0 installed on 25/7/14

SimConnect v 10.0.61242.0 installed on 24/2/14

SimConnect v 10.0.61259.0 installed on 10/12/13

ESP SimConnect v 1.0.20.0 installed on 11/7/13

Holy cow i thought!!

Do i need all of these or can i remove some of them?

Cheers Rob!

PS - how do i know which addons require a specific version?

Found this about simconnect and versions...

Microsoft Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v10.0.60905.0 Microsoft Corporation FSX Original Microsoft Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v10.0.61259.0 Microsoft Corporation FSX SP2 / Acceleration Pack Microsoft Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v10.0.62607.0 Microsoft Corporation FSX Steam Edition Microsoft ESP SimConnect Client v1.0.20.0 Microsoft Corporation Prepar3D V2.4

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

Am runnning the hotfixed v2.5 (12942)

Confused, if you're running the hot fix you should be at version 12943?

I've posted my issue over on LM's forum ... but to be clear, this is my issue, I'm not claiming a global issue.  Only providing information that resolved a problem I encountered with 12943.

I'm good with the fluidity side per my other video.  But there is some issue specific to ESP SimConnect and FSX SP2 SimConnect on my system.

I'll do more testing to see if I can get more specific.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: I have do have a love/hate thing with SimConnect ... so widely used and has always been a source of issues for me.

I would actually like to try and uninstall the ESP client, but I`ve already searched for the client and couldn`t find it yet.

Uninstalling ESP SimConnect client can be done via Control Panel.  But like you said, re-installing the ESP SimConnect client is buried away.

Cheers, Rob.

Ah ok then it was a missunderstanding. Anyway no robs here with ESP Simconnect.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Uninstalling ESP SimConnect client can be done via Control Panel.  But like you said, re-installing the ESP SimConnect client is buried away.

Yes Rob, I know how to uninstall the client :blush: . What I actually meant is that I was searching for a stand-alone ESN Simconnect client package, but have yet to find it. I`d only need it in case I`d have to reinstall it afterwards. So therefore, let me apologize for being a bit misleading.

Cheers,

Matej

Matej Stavanja

HI Rob,

I decided to have a wee look at my folder as well and discovered 4 of these! Grief!!

Holy cow i thought!!

Cheers Rob!

Ditto - same here! Did you try to remvove those?;)

My P3D stutters every 5/10 seconds, even with all autogen etc turned of. It is a bit smoother after fiddling with the texture max load and swap wait timeout values as described by the P3D Learning Centre, but not as fluid as FSX. Tried locking the FPS externally (tried EVGA Precision X and Nvidia Inspector), but still a bit jerky. Doesn't seem to be system load related either - 70-80% on core 1 thread 0 (P3D-main - AF244 or 84 - same result) and next to nothing on the other two (if autogen is off, there is next to nothing for the terrain-threads to do). Did all my testing in the 777 over FTX Norway Oslo (south of ENGM) in poor weather (s. My EVGA GTX 980 Classified 4GB is at 40-60% - with it's fans for the most part turned off..(!)

My bet is that the jerkyness is nVidia driver related, but can't prove it. Maybe it's time to take an Acronis Snapshot of the entire system, and go for the moon - I mean - uninstall of the Simconnects;)

HI Rob,

Holy cow i thought!!

Cheers Rob!

Found this about simconnect and versions...

Microsoft Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v10.0.60905.0 Microsoft Corporation FSX Original Microsoft Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v10.0.61259.0 Microsoft Corporation FSX SP2 / Acceleration Pack Microsoft Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v10.0.62607.0 Microsoft Corporation FSX Steam Edition Microsoft ESP SimConnect Client v1.0.20.0 Microsoft Corporation Prepar3D V2.4

You need 61242 for addons that work with FSX Standard or Deluxe SP1a, for users that have not installed Acceleration.

You need 61259 for addons that work on FSX+Acelleration.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

What I actually meant is that I was searhing for a stand-alone ESN Simconnect client package, but have yet to find it.

Sorry, I mis-understood ... yes, let me know if you find an ESP SimConnect stand alone install ... and if you do, is it the same version that LM install with P3D?  I've searched the cabs for it but they appear to be well protected.  And finally to add more mystery ... my initial 12942 install didn't include ESP, the 12943 install did include ESP.  Uninstalling P3D does not remove the ESP.

I can't imagine why you (or anyone) would need more than one and only one -- SimConnect is part of P3D and there is a managed DLL for it in the SDK ... so in theory we shouldn't need to install a SimConnect client at all ... however for legacy support it still exists.

There are certain 3rd party products (even those "designed" for P3D) that require specific SimConnect client versions ... so to answer your question, I don't know if you need all those ... and that (not knowing) is in itself a problem.  

I'm sure some 3rd party will disagree and I can sorta understand their reasons, but ... IMHO (and only my opinion) SimConnect client dependency just opens the door for potential end user issues.

Cheers, Rob.

I can't imagine why you (or anyone) would need more than one and only one -- SimConnect

Those that still use FSX or P3Dv1 should leave the simconnect system alone.

The usual one for FSX addons to use is 61242 because the addon works whatever version of FSX they installed, so long as they are at least up to SP1a.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Those that still use FSX or P3Dv1 should leave the simconnect system alone.

Agree, that's why I was careful to include wording for "Legacy support".  But what I'm getting at here is that developing a product "for P3D" using the P3D SDK/PDK ... why not use the managed SimConnect library rather than rely on a legacy dependency?

For newer or updated products aimed at P3D why continue the support burden and dependency on a legacy SimConnect?

As I understand it, the reason is born out of not wanting to have separate code paths ... one path for FSX referencing FSX SimConnect client and one path for P3D referencing managed SimConnect ... reduces the developer work load for multi-platform deployment if they just reference the LCD that sorta works for both environments.

The downside to this approach is increased the support and missing out on additional functionality that may come out of the managed SimConnect (now or future) ... to be brutally honest I was surprised to see the PMDG 777 for P3D still requiring FSX SP2 SimConnect ... no bones about it ... for $120+ I did expect PMDG to use the P3D managed SimConnect.  Not picking on PMDG as they aren't the only ones requiring legacy SimConnect for a P3D product.  Long term, I just don't think this process is going to alleviate issues down the road.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

can you tell me what addons you had installed before you uninstalled espn simconnect.

I have networked asn, aivlasoft efb, wideview, but I don't think they use esp simconnect?

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium