I will like to get some help in making a decision on wish video card to get.

I will like to up-grade my old video card 570hd with something newer.

I was looking at

evga 04g-p4-2980 kr NVidia GeForce gtx 980 4gb

or the 2982 or the 2988. my mobo is asus p67 b3 maximus Iv extream.

now the question is can these video card be use with this mobo.

I only play fsx.

any help, opinion, recommendation or input will be appreciated.

Fernando A. Maldonado

Fernando,

To answer your question:  Yes, the video card is compatible with your motherboard.

However I would urge you to read the free FSX / P3D Configuration Guide (look at the top right on the AVSIM webpage under "Hot Spots") and read up a little on the subject of FSX and graphics cards - it may save you a considerable amount of money.

If you're not already familiar with how FSX relies on the CPU rather than the GPU for graphics processing,

This forum has a wealth of information on graphics card upgrades (specially on the 980 as well).  Search phrases which may help you locate germane information are:"FSX Graphic Card 980" and "Graphic Card Upgrade". 

I sincerely hope this has been of help to you!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

thanks Dave I will look in to I appreciate for the help.

thanks Dave for the information.

Fernando A. Maldonado

If your computer is the one in your profile then have you fully overclocked your 2600k as this will yeild the best results if you are looking for extra performance?

You probably would benefit from a new graphics card, if you can afford it and want to splash out on a 980 then great but I think you may be disapointed if you are expecting a huge jump in frame rates across the board. I moved from a 560ti to a 680 and my FPS didn't increase as significantly as I thought, although I was able to turn up the graphics settings within FSX and NVidia Inspector whilst still retaining acceptable frame rates making the sim more enjoyable to look at and use.

So as Dave suggests definitely CPU speed for performance but GPU grunt for aesthetics.

I can't speak from experience but I doubt that there would be much difference in performance between a 970 and a 980 within FSX, in my opinion not enough to justify the considerable price difference. But if you want, and can afford the best then why not?