Sign in to follow this  
DreamAero

Advice needed on system upgrade

Hi friends,

I am new to Avsim forum, I am happy to be on this forum. I need advice relating to my system upgrade.

I am a die hard fan of FSX which has become an integral part of my life. Its only for FSX that I am upgrading my system for which I require your advice.

My Current system Spec:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.80Ghz.

3 GB DDR2 RAM

GPU : Nvidia GT610 2GB

FSX performs fine with only default aircrafts and traffic at medium settings. I get around 19 to 20 fps with above specs

I am planning to Upgrade my system to:

Intel Core i7 4790 3.6Ghz (I dont wish to overclock it in the future)

16GB RAM

GPU : Nvidia GT610 2GB (I wish to retain the GPU from my old system)

My Expectation from the new system:

I want to play FSX with  PMDG 737NGX and Flight Sim Lab Concorde X with all World of AI  Traffic packages and default high detail fsx airports on maximum settings. I might use aerosoft airport addons in the future.

Will I be able to fulfill my expectation, if not what will be the ideal fps and setting that I can expect with the above system config.

Will my Concorde X aircraft work smoothly on this system config.

I have one more query,

The intel i7 4790 processor that I am planning to buy is based on haswell architecture, somewhere on the net I have read that it heats up very fast and consumes more power than the Ivy Bridge processors. However there are adequate fans in my cabinet to cool it down but does it heat up as the AMD processors do.

Is that true.

Please guide me. All help appreciated.

Regards

DreamAero

OK I'll bite.

I dont wish to overclock it in the future.

Personally I would suggest that this is a bad decision and one you will most likely regret at a later date if it leads you to buy the non overclockable version of the CPU. You don't have to overclock right away but having the option there is much better than not.

I wish to retain the GPU from my old system.

Again I think this is a bad decision your current card will be a horrible bottleneck for the new CPU. OK if you cant afford a new card straight away but you will need a new card fairly soon given your ambitions for your new system.

I want to play FSX with  PMDG 737NGX and Flight Sim Lab Concorde X with all World of AI  Traffic packages and default high detail fsx airports on maximum settings

Then you will certainly need to rethink your decision on overclocking and your graphics card.

What will be the ideal fps and setting that I can expect with the above system config. Will my Concorde X aircraft work smoothly on this system config.

There are too many variables to answer these questions and I wouldn't like to hazard a guess. Once you have built your new rig you will need to tune it to your hardware and personal preferences regarding performance over visual quality.

The intel i7 4790 processor that I am planning to buy is based on haswell architecture, somewhere on the net I have read that it heats up very fast and consumes more power than the Ivy Bridge processors.

Yes by and large this is true but it is a more powerful CPU clock for clock. My advice would be to invest in a decent aftermarket cooler to make sure this is not an issue for you.

I appreciate that this probably wasn't what you wanted to hear but I hope it is in some way useful and maybe triggers some more feedback for you.

Further to the above, with a G3D score of 726 the onboard HD4600 graphics of the 4790 CPU is actually superior to your GTX610 which has a G3D score of 355 - Link to PassMark

You may be better off not even installing your graphics card.

Aim for an  i7-4790K + GTX970 on a good quality motherboard with 2X4GB of fast RAM...

That will help you achieve your goals  B)

Bert

I run a 4770k with a NVIDIA 760, I run all high end aircraft (PMDG NGX, 777, Majestic Dash 8 Professional, etc.) and scenery (FTX Global/Vector, Almost exclusively payware Airports around global), Avilasoft EFB, Tablet based CDU via wireless network, 3 monitors running, and I run a live HD stream all under FSX for all flights.  I run above average graphics settings.  I suffer no OOMs, and my computer purrs along with excellent terrific frame rates without so much as a hiccup.

I do not overclock (I too have no desire to do so), though I do run "medium" turbo mode.

My flights are usually 3 hours or less.

Hope this helps.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hi Friends..

Thanks a ton for your replies  :rolleyes:

I feel sad to the fact that FSX is a 32 bit Application and cannot benefit from Multi -Threading. I understand my graphics card is an entry level card, but I am satisfied with its performance on my current system, a Core 2 Duo 2.8 Ghz.

I am getting a frames of around 15-16 at medium settings. But, I am not using any high detail addons from Aerosoft or any Addon Weather like REX. I only use default airports and almost all World of AI Traffics. I do get OOM Errors when I visit some very high detail default airport like Heathrow or JFK in FSX on a medium setting. My Graphics setting never exceeded past medium and my Autogen never went beyond normal. If at all they did, I got OOM's  :lol:

My goal of upgrading the system is only to play FSX. 

I like only to fly the aircraft. I do not intend to use any high detail addons with FSX on my new system, but only the World of AI traffics of all major airlines plus the default FSX  Traffic (Airline and General Aviation).

Just to play FSX on my new system I bought PMDG 737NGX and Flight Sim Lab  Concorde X, so that I can fulfill my goal. :rolleyes:

I only want to fly both my new birds. I would be spending less time on the ground and more time Cruising so I dont think I will buy any high detail addon and use FSX only with the deafult Airports but at the high graphics settings and Autogen and majority of AI Traffics  :rolleyes:

I hope my new PC passes this test, I will be very happy if it does. Its sad to hear that FSX has got very old and we cannot push it hard. Some compromises are required some where in terms of Graphics :rolleyes:

For which I am ready

Thanks for giving me your time. I appreciate all the advice you all have given me. I value them very much.

Happy Flying.

Regards

Dreamaero

If you are getting framerates of 15-16, you are not getting a very smooth flying experience..

Your goal should be to set framerates to 30 in FSX and maintain 30, except for when you visit detailed addon airpports.

That will give you smooth flight.

FSX may be old, but it will perform well for you on a modern, fast system.  :P

Bert

Hi,

Thanks Bert.

Frame rates are low I too agree, in the FSX settings the fps is set at 20, but the frames never exceed 18.

Anyways, this sunday I will be upgrading my system.

Looking forward to FSX experience on Core i7.

Keeping my fingers crossed :rolleyes:

Happy Flying

Regards

DreamAero

+1 What Bert said....

Since you said the upgrade was specifically for FSX you can save some cash and get the i5 4690.

But I would also recommend the 4690k and perform a MILD overclock to 4ghz. this would require the slightest bump in offset voltage to insure stability and give a nice boost in FPS. You do not have to go for 4.5+

Also if you do upgrade your video card you should give P3D a try as I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the visual lighting experience it brings that you just cant get with FSX.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Guest JustanotherPilot

Spend the extra for the 4790K, I'm extremely happy with the performance running standard, I haven't overclocked it....yet,  Intel claim that it runs cooler under load than the standard 4790.......it's better to have the overclock ability and not use it than to need the overclock feature and not have it.