Sign in to follow this  
petepawn

Anyway to repair or uncheck from scenery.cfg?

Hi,

after getting my new computer I among installed my FSX DeLuxe and both SPs. Now after a couple of days downloading and installing my aad-ons ( FSGlobal, fsg, asn, vector, EuLC, PMDG's etc) and making tweaks ( the normal ones) I've been quite satisfied with both the performance and improved eye-candy.

However from the very start when launching fsx there are announcements of missing path to fsx´s SCEN/Cities/ Reno, Istanbul, Berlin, Longleat, Edwards aFB. Every time. I considered it only as nuisance.

Today I wanted to check if these areas are really missing and tested Istanbul, Berlin and Reno and all were living cities with nice landmarks.

I tried to uncheck these sceneries but it's not possible as they are stated "required". Then I tried to search for the paths in SceConfigEditor, but the folders indeed are not there.. (?).

So I am wondering if I have to suffer all ( about 5) extra buttonpushes when launching fsx or is there any other way than re-installing the lot ( I mean that with the add-ons) once again. By the way a Coatl is in the same way asking permission to start every time ( Ihave fsdt airports).

Regards

Petteri

Petteri Pulkkinen

EFNU, Finland

Check your scenery.cfg, located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX, for something like...

[Area.115]
Title=Reno
Local=Scenery\Cities\Reno
Layer=115
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Your Area and Layer numbers might be different.

The line in question is the Required= line.

Is your set to True? If so, change it to False and you will be able to uncheck those entries in the Scenery Library.

That still doesn't explain the bigger problem.

Do you not have folders for those 5 cities in ...\FSX\Scenery\Cities?

I cannot help with FSDT, have never given them any money.

regards,
Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Today I wanted to check if these areas are really missing and tested Istanbul, Berlin and Reno and all were living cities with nice landmarks.

Those cities are required. If they are not there you need to reinstall FSX. You should never disable any scenery under Propeller Objects in the Scenery Library.

You must trust couatl after you install a FSDT product (I think it is only one time after you install the first FSDT product). See the product manual, page 4.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have seen this happen before where an install of Accelleration/SP2 does not correctly set the paths to these cities in the Scenery.cfg, possibly because the sim was not run once between installing the different versions.

Easy enough to modify the paths to the correct values (SceneryConfig Editor probably the easiest way)

The directories are present in the \Scenery directory they just need the correct paths entering into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg

Or, just delete the scenery.cfg and let the sim build a new one.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I would think that would only recreate a fresh scenery.cfg in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\

based on the default scenery.cfg found in the root folder, which will also be missing the correct entries if the Accel/SP2 installer had not originally added them.

The directories will be present, they just need adding correctly to the Scenery.cfg located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\ just like you would any other scenery directories and then reordering correctly below the Global, Generic & Vehicle Libraries entry

I agree.  That would be a great idea.  Simple and fast.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I agree. That would be a great idea. Simple and fast.

Jim, That will not work.

All that happens in that scenario is that FSX will copy the original Scenery.cfg from the root folder and place it into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\

That original Scenery.cfg will also not have the correct entries because the sim was not run once between installing FSX and the subsequent install of accel/SP2 so the Op will be back where he started. this stems from MS's bizzare use of the Newscenery.cfg which requires the sim to run at least once before the new additions are added to the working version of Scenery.cfg

This is easy enough to test out, just move your C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg to somewhere safe and start FSX, after exiting you will then find a new Scenery.cfg in  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\ that is an exact copy of the one in the root folder, that is the very reason MS placed a copy it there in the first place.

Thanks for the answers.

This seems problematic now. I opened the scen.cfg in the PD folder and changed entries ( required=true=>false) but still got the boxes about missing paths. And indeed the city folders do not exist in the MSX/Scenery folder. 

So I'm afraid the next days will be reinstalling once again..

Petteri Pulkkinen

EFNU, Finland

Well I have this editor, but couldn't use it with this problem. I raised the white flag and began uninstalling add-ons and FSX this morning after moving to work. In the afternoon I'll start installing again, and this time running fsx before installing sp's and other stuff..  :wub:

Petteri Pulkkinen

EFNU, Finland