Sign in to follow this  

P3D V2.5 VAS ... seems very good to me ...

I've read a few complaints about VAS/OOM in P3D v2.5 so with my opportunity to do a fresh install on a new PC I thought I'd log some of my VAS findings relative to 3rd party add-ons:

Testing Process:

1.  Save F22 at KSFO during dawn with Building Storms weather theme (KSFO-F22.fxml) - season Winter

2.  Exit P3D

3.  Restart P3D by doubling clicking KSFO-F22.fxml

4.  In VC do two full and slow 360 rotations

5.  In Spot view do two full and slow 360 rotations

Very important to do steps 4 and 5 or else you will get skewed results if not done.  No Prepar3d.cfg adjustments made, no shaderHLSL changes made, SimConnect Client version 10.0.6.1259.0

Graphics settings: http://www.robainscough.com/P3D_4K_Long_Haul.html

PENDING UPDATE with correct Virtual Size listing ... stay tuned ... 

Cheers, Rob.

Cool.... this is sorta what I did to compare stuff in FSX....  I also did a FPS comparison in FSX with addons, against the stock C172

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/461265-how-addons-perform-relative-to-c172-wgraph/?hl=%2Bpetraeus#entry3168845

I like what you've done here.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hey Ryan,

FPS testing is difficult in P3D because the "recorder" feature has some issues (that WILL skew results) that haven't been addressed yet (assume very low priority for LM) ... so it can be hard to get accurate representation of time between frames (which is what I'm mostly looking for to judge the performance impact relative to my system.

But I applaud your efforts in FSX, great chart and does give one a relative understanding of aircraft impact to performance.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob - quick question.  In the documents I reviewed explaining how to set up Process Explorer, the instructions directed me to add the Virtual Size column to see VAS.  In your screenshots you're using values from the Private Bytes column.  Which is correct since your values are definitely less than the corresponding values in the Virtual Size column?

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Hi Rob,

I am not using P3D, but I think the column "Private Bytes" in the Process Explorer measures the RAM consumed by the program and not the VAS. To measure VAS, you need to activate the column "Virtual Size" in the "Process Memory" tab in the Process Explorer (see attached screenshot). The Virtual Size is almost always higher than the RAM consumption.

dy7q12.jpg

Ugh ... my mistake. Sorry forgot the Process Explorer on my New PC isn't configured for Virtual Size... better adjust the pics ASAP.

Will update later ... but will have to start at a different BASE.  Getting old or doing too many things at once ...

Cheers, Rob.

Rats... I was actually hoping you were right since your numbers were far more appealing :)  In any event, Rob, I appreciate all you do.  Keep it up.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Sorry Doug ... just trying to do too many things at once and too quickly.  It did seem very low so that should have triggered me to pause for validation.

Cheers, Rob.

This would be very good news indeed.  VAS management wise 2.2 has been untouchable thus far... here's to hoping 2.5, even if just slightly better than 2.4, is going in the right direction.

By sheer coincidence, I got an email from a good friend who is currently overseas working for ICAO, he rebuilt his rig, and made his first flight with P3D2.51 in the PMDG777, with FTX Global and Vector, REX4 textures, payware RPLL and VHHH airports.

When he landed at RPLL, he was surprised to see VAS used was 2.9! So it does appear the changes made by LM to this new version of P3D have hit the right notes.

When he landed at RPLL, he was surprised to see VAS used was 2.9!

That's been consistent with my beta testing ... results were very good ... in some cases only 200MB used up in long long flights.  However there are also exceptions ... a few 3rd party airports come to mind (over 1GB just for a single airport??).

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,Hi

I completed your Testing Process and making Test Fly now.

1-Above post, you wrote "200MB used up in long long flights" Does it mean ,   if your started flight with  VAS 2.9GB, you will have  2.6GB Available VAS at the end of your flight? :Party:

2-Today I installed  GPU-Z , during the flight I noticed  GPU Load remains 0%. Some thing wrong with GPU-Z? :huh:

Regards,

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

if your started flight with  VAS 2.9GB, you will have  2.6GB Available VAS at the end of your flight?

No, that math doesn't work ... 200MB means I used 200MB more than when I started.  So if my starting VAS used was 2.9GB and I used 200MB more, my ending VAS used was 3.1GB ... leaving 900MB VAS free.

As far as GPU load, I prefer to use Time between frames logging (Fraps will do this) as it present a picture of how well a GPU is performing in terms of being "smooth" ... FPS are less important to me so long as they are high enough to not cause device input issues ... it's the variance in time between frames that are more important to me.

Graphics settings: http://www.robainscough.com/P3D_4K_Long_Haul.html   (minor change Road Traffic = 14%, Ships and Ferries = 50%)

Orbx Vector Settings: http://www.robainscough.com/images/c132ac01e9aeca75293839b13e162458.jpg

Prepar3D: v2.5.12943.0

Time/Season: Dawn - Winter Feb 26th 

Add-Ons:

PILOT's FTX Global Edition Mesh

Orbx FTX Global v1.3 (lights/trees enabled, NOT hybrid mode)

Orbx Vector v1.2

Orbx OpenLC EU v1.15

Orbx Libraries v150215

FSUIPC v4.939

Orbx ObjectFlow.DLL enabled

Here are my corrected VAS values from my test condition:

Grrr ... I give up ... if anyone knows how to get Tables to display let me know, BBCode didn't work for me, Word paste didn't work for me, and HTML didn't work for me.

That's been consistent with my beta testing ... results were very good ... in some cases only 200MB used up in long long flights.  However there are also exceptions ... a few 3rd party airports come to mind (over 1GB just for a single airport??).

Cheers, Rob.

Silly question Rob Fsdream KLAX is one of those 3rd party airports with high vas values?..seems to me that neither KSFO or KLAX are friendly vas at all with any settings in P3D..

Thanks

one mere question does lighting HDR have any mayor impact in VAS.....?

Rob,

That is interesting my FSUiPCv 4.938g   starts with Available VAS. I just loaded PMDG 777 in P3D and available  VAS was 1,284,000Kb and went down to 1,258,812KB.

If VAS continues to go down during the flight VAS beep sound alert will start at 300,000KB and around 250,000 OOM will appears.

I purchased the Frap and installed.

I  put your settings  for another  test flight, Available VAS  down to 861,332  (so, start P3d. load 777 at the gate I lost 432,868 KB)

PASTE doesn't work, I cannot manage also.

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"