Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

Hybrid drive partitioning

This is a bit of a follow up from a previous question

and talking to a friend and Appliance on here, I'm going to go smaller on my ssd and have pretty much only  core stuff on the ssd  ie  OS ,virus stuff and possibly my ai aircraft

This means that i'm going to put my flightsims on the hybrid drive, 2tb seagate 7200rpm

So my thoughts on this maybe along the lines of having 3 or 4 partitions having one for fsx one for P3d and 1 or 2 for xplane and DCS would this be a good way to go and I can keep everything nice and separate and organised, or would having these partitions make the 8gb ssd part of the hybrid more or less useless

any thoughts on this or advice before I pull the trigger and buy

Thanks

Pete Little

Hopefully you dont have any virus stuff on your SSD. J/K. LOL. I would still recommend at least a small 120GB SSD for FSX/P3D. Just takes too long to load scenery on a standard drive. My 2 cents.

FYI- If you do however install all on one drive and the sizes need to be adjusted after you install everything. Go to  My Computer right click and select Manage, then select "Disk Management" and you can add/delete or adjust partition sizes within the O.S.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Ah thanks for that Turboken

I didn't know you could do that,So from what your saying I could start with just the 2tb drive and decide at a later date if I wanted to add a couple of partitions for separate sims if I feel thew need

Things have changed slightly from my original post in that I've gone for a 512gb ssd so will put at least 1 sim on that drive,just not decided if it will be p3d or fsx

Thanks for the advice tho

rgds

Pete Little

Thats correct. So you could use the 512 SSD split in half using 256 for the OS and 256 for P3D. Then when you add the 2TB drive you can partition then format that drive as another 256 for FSX and the rest of the space as Backup.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+