Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

Been losing sleep over this one....

As embarrassing as it is to share this, figured maybe it would help others and myself learn a lesson. Over the years of flying on various simulators, I have always prided myself in trying to make my flights as realistic and safe as possible, as if there were real lives on board. 

Last night I decided to depart Boca Raton, FL since there was ATC available and do a short IFR flight, shooting ILS approaches at KFLL, KMIA, then full stop to KPBI. It was extremely windy with 25 knot crosswinds so I had my hands full in a light aircraft the BE60 Turbine Duke, as well as scattered cloud layers obstructing the airfield in the dark. 

I am usually really good about following all of the procedures and checklists, and cross checking and verifying everything, but I had my hands full trying to keep the aircraft established on the approach enough to where I must not have completed and verified my landing checklist......There's no more words to describe what happened after that, but I guess I should be thankful that I'd really be alive in this situation. I've never had an accident until this day, and it sucks!

after doing a little google search after my incident I realized there's 100's of gear up landings in the U.S. a year mostly due to crew distractions or cockpit workload.

pbi2_zpsvpkzxdvd.png

pbi1_zpsspr70z6w.png

Repeat to yourself...GUMPP Check GUMPP Check GUMPP (Gas/Fuel Pump, Undercarriage, Mixture, Prop, Parking Brake) Check..... B)   Don't worry tho, I bet every pilot here on Avsim has landed with their gear up at least once or twice, even those who are pilots in real life...I sure have lol.  Goes to show you what can happen when the cockpit gets busy, and why you must stay ahead of the airplane.

Reminds me of the ATC Joke

Tower: Bonanza 1234A, your Gear is not down.

Bonanza :(horn heard in background) Say Again, I can't hear you over the damn horn!'

Tower: Bonanza 1234A, YOUR GEAR IS NOT D....aw shi...

There are two types of pilots with a complex rating/endorsement: those who have landed with the gear up and those who will.

At least I put it down right on the centerline in the touchdown zone with a 25 knot crosswid  :Applause: ........even if it was gear up.

Hi, I'm from the FAA; I'd like to help you...

ATP MEL

Commercial SEL

B-747, BE-300, BE-400, DHC8, ERJ 170/190, MU-300

C-17A Globemaster III