Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

Sticky problem

I expect that I will need to go to the Orbx support forum for this matter but thought I would try here first as in the past getting help there has taken some time.

My sticky problem is sticky scenery ie frequent micro pauses lasting less than 1 second (usually) whenever I fly with  FTX global and hybrid mode enabled or when I fly in any of the full Orbx scenery areas within the Europe or North America regions (which of course is without hybrid). If I disable hybrid and just have FTX global then the problem goes away.  Also  I don't have the issue in Oceania with or without hybrid.  I get the pauses with all aircraft even the default ones but notice it most with the complex big iron (even at high altitude).  Other areas where I am free of the problem that I have tested are east of Poland in Europe and over the ocean and along the flightpath for the PMDG T7 tutorial 1.  For example If I fly the 737NGX from say St Petersburg to London I start off free of the pauses and then they start over Poland.

I have a relatively high end system even by today's standards (i7 4770K OC to 4.5 ghz and 770 4GB gpu running FSX MS on it's own 500MB Velociraptor HDD and 1440p monitor) that has been set up closely following the NickN bible and in most situations I get high framerates albeit with these pauses.  Changing display settings has no effect nor using a fresh FSX.cfg.

So what is going on here?  I have had this system for a year but only just noticed the issue because I usually only fly in Australia or New Zealand where I don't have the problem.  Any suggestions most welcome.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Think I will have to go to a wider audience with this one - no interest here and little joy from Orbx support on their forum.  Strange given the specific nature of this problem ie only get the stutters with hybrid or the North America/Europe regions enabled but not in the Oceania Orbx region and not elswhere in the sim world.  Still get the problem even after disabling all non Orbx addon scenery.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Here's my 2c. I have not yet got my head round Hybrid mode. If I'm in Orbx country and go outside it I see Global, nice! If it's the other way round and I set to Global the Full fat starts to look a little different. Not that I'm a great scenery 'picker of holes in'.

It seems to me that Hybrid mode is trying to be all things to all people and we know that never works. My advice is to not bother with Hybrid because we all know what hybrid really means.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

And I thought it was just me...

I too get these "stuck" spots, on a rig similar to yours (4770K @ 4.2Ghz, GTX780 AC, SanDisk Extreme Pro 480 SSD, ASUS 2560x1440).

But mine happen in P3D V2.4!!! And I don't run hybrid - just full fat regions. I have not flown in Oz for quite some time, so can't say anything about that, but my home stomping grounds of PNW and NCA will stick randomly now and then.

There is apparently no escape...

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Well there you go it sounds very similar to my issue and like you I get them in full fat orbx scenery without hybrid.  While I do get the freezes with hybrid I don't think it is a hybrid issue as such rather, with hybrid, you are also enabling the wider regions (North America, Europe, Oceania) and any associated  full fat scenery installed (PNW, CRM, England etc). but in a form that allows you to fly between regions.  The problem lies within the Orbx regions and you don't even have to be flying within a full fat scenery area eg you still get the freezes across the channel in Europe outside the Orbx UK full fat scenery but still within the Europe region and in middle and Eastern US well away from PNW etc on the west coast but still within North America region.   However, the puzzling thing is that I don't get the problem in Oceania region and I don't get the freezes in other parts of the world not part of the Orbx region system (yet).  There is another twist to this in that the freezes are most pronounced when flying over relatively built up areas  which means most of the UK and Europe but less so over more remote areas such as the coast range north of Vancouver BC.  Now, as indicated above, I have a thread on the Orbx support forum about this issue but so far nothing helpful from their support team even though with all these clues I would have thought someone with an understanding of the Orbx innards would have idea or two - just suggestions from ordinary users trying to help.

Bruceb 

Bruce Bartlett

Well it seems scenery conflict has been the source of my problems after all.  When I stated above that I had tested my system by disabling 3rd party scenery that wasn't quite the case because I didn't know how to use SceneryConfigurator properly.  Also I was under the mistaken impression that I didn't have UTX installed so I never suspected it as being the problem - I have only recently got back to FSX after being out of Australia for much of 2014 and apparently I had, some 12 months ago, installed UTX after all.  Anyway to cut to the chase if I (properly) disable UTX Europe, US, Canada and Alaska in SceneryConfigurator I no longer have the freezes - explains why I didn't get the freezes in Oceania as there is no UTX for that part of the world.

I was aware that there could be problems using Vector and UTX together as they do similar things but I had thought it was OK to use FTX global and the regions with UTX.  I will have to look into this and see if there is a way to get Orbx and UTX to live happily with each other.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett