Sign in to follow this  
luscombeguy

Maybe a dumb question but why are the tutorials only in Europe ?

I have flown the NGX since it came out and have probably 1500 hrs in it. But I have not flown the tutorials because I am not familiar with flying in Europe nor do I have any of the European charts. I have gotten by with some of the YouTube tutorials and Mike Ray's book. What I was wondering, are most of PMDG's customers in Europe and that is why the tutorials are flown there? As an aside I recently bought Aerosoft's A320-321 and to my chagrin their tutorials are also in Europe, but understandable as they are a German company, also you can only use Kgs and not Lbs, you have to do the conversions yourself. Just wondering.

Jerry

Jerry Sterner

It's a well known fact that the bulk of Flight simmers are in Europe as it forms the most sales.  

The AS airbus can be used in lbs if you change it in the rh MCDU.

Dave Taylor gb.png

I am unsure I understand what the problem is. What difference does it make? Apart from transition altitudes it really is the same. Flying is flying. Maybe flying the tutorials is a good way to get used to flying in Europe.

As for charts. If you just enter the airport ICAO in to google followed by the word "charts" more often than not they will just appear.

Kgs to Lbs is easy enough too. Google will even convert that for you if you want it to. Although I am sure Aerosoft allow you to change from Kgs to Lbs. Probably in the MCDU but I don't have it so am unsure.

Not flying the tutorials because they are in Europe....really? Just go for it mate.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

The charts seem to be included at the end of the tutorials, or use the advice above to get current ones. Also you can use skyvector for enroute charts.

Perhaps Ryan could explain the choice of flights but I imagine it was so we could finish off with the thrilling visual approach into Innsbruck.

The tutorials are very very good and well worth the time work through them.

Barry Friedman

Thanks for the replies guys. At this time I don't feel the need for the tutorials. Through trial & error and extensive reading of the manuals I'm doing ok. The only flying I do is for virtual airlines here in the US and that takes up all my flying time. As for the Airbus, I read on their forums that they have no intention of adding the lbs option to the aircraft. Thought their fuel planner does it in both so that takes care of the conversion.

Jerry Sterner

I have flown the NGX since it came out and have probably 1500 hrs in it. But I have not flown the tutorials because I am not familiar with flying in Europe nor do I have any of the European charts.

You don't really need any of that for the tutorial. It's all spelled out for you. Quite honestly, I've been flying things since FS 5.1, owned the original PMDG 737, flew the tutorials, and still learned stuff.

What I was wondering, are most of PMDG's customers in Europe and that is why the tutorials are flown there?

Honestly, I'm pretty sure Ryan just created the tutorials over there because they were shorter and offered a bit of a challenge.

Note that the 777 tutorial was in South Asia and the Middle East. The tutorial that I made was North America to Europe.

Kyle Rodgers

I have flown the NGX since it came out and have probably 1500 hrs in it. But I have not flown the tutorials because I am not familiar with flying in Europe nor do I have any of the European charts.

Actually you can get any relevant European chart here for free (http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/publicuser/public/pu/login.jsp). You just have to register, that's it.

Regards,
Axel

I live in Europe. I can fly just as well in the US as in Europe. As I understand it transition altitude is FL180 in general in the US. Lbs/kgs and pressure types can be set up in most tubeliners. I have GA type airplanes where the altimeter is set in inches of mercury... we don't use that where I live; we use mb. If I can't change the settings in the plane I am flying, I can change it in the sim. No bigge really.

As a foot note... just because I live in Europe doesn't mean I know how to fly in Switzerland. If you want to do it realistically I reckon you should learn the avaition laws in every single country as they can be different from each other. Also if the home country of your plane has restrictions that don't apply to local planes in Switzerland, they still apply to your plane. So... it can also be complicated for Europeans to fly in Europe :)

Cheers,

It shouldn't really matter where you fly. When I fly in the US, I use US charts, When in Asia I use Asiatic charts, in Europe...The usages of the plane however remains the same. A tutorial with the NGX landing in Innsbruck brings you one of the most challenging approaches available for a plane the size of a 737. But It could have been in the Andes as well, if there is a difficult approach for an 737.
So It doesn't really matter where you fly, but you have to study where you fly to, to make sure you do it properly.

The usages of the plane however remains the same.

Bingo.

Also, it's a forum rule here to sign your name to your posts. Please do so in the future. Thanks!

Kyle Rodgers