Hi Guys,

A friend of mine approached me and offered me fairly good money for my Asus GTX780. Of course my eyes light up and I started thinking upgrade upgrade !

I looked at the 970, I know there are some memory issues above 3.5 GB usage but to be honest with you I haven't seen even 2BG usage on my GTX 780 with FSX DX10 or P3D 2.5

Just wondering if anyone has done the same upgrade, basically I would love to know if it is worth dropping the extra money for the GTX 970 or would it be better to wait until the next generation of cards come out.

That is probably the million dollar question lol

Love to hear your thoughts/experiences

Happy Flying

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

IMHO this would be more of a sidegrade than an upgrade I doubt you'd notice much if any difference between the two. If the money from your 780 would enable you to fund a 980 then that would be an upgrade but otherwise I don't see the point. Your 780 will probably hold its value more than a 970 which even though it is a decent card is always going to be looked at as flawed.

I went from a 460 to a 970 and barly have noticed a difference. Even with my i7 930 OCed at 4.1

I doubt that you'll notice your money in the switch but would be interested to hear how you fare if you go ahead with it.

I went from a 460 to a 970 and barly have noticed a difference. Even with my i7 930 OCed at 4.1

Probably the CPU bottlenecking the GPU.

Regards,

Harm Swinkels

boeing-747-wings-pin-ztr6z.png

Yeah I just took it to 4.2. I am gonna live with it. The graphics do look good though. The nvidia inspector settings have everything looking nice and smooth. I wanna target the fps to 30 though

The Gtx 970 is defently working though. Every other game I now can totally max out with 90-100 fps. It's just fsx

IMHO this would be more of a sidegrade than an upgrade I doubt you'd notice much if any difference between the two. If the money from your 780 would enable you to fund a 980 then that would be an upgrade but otherwise I don't see the point. Your 780 will probably hold its value more than a 970 which even though it is a decent card is always going to be looked at as flawed.

Yes the more I have researched the more I am thinking I will keep the 780 for the time being. I have a moderate OC using Afterburner and FSX DX10 is amazing. I am now getting into P3D and with all the new features can still bring my PC to it's knees. My journey at the beginning with P3D wasn't the best. I was struggling to get rid of some micro stutters. I have found that leaving everything pretty much alone (Nvidia Inspector etc) and just adjusting the sliders to suit the hardware seems to yield the best result.

I know the 780 is a good card that is probably why my friend wants it, I know he will SLI it. Maybe that's the way to go 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

yeah not worth it. I went from a 770 to a 970, really not much of a difference. 

FYI- When you said SLI maybe the way to go, you mean for other games right as FSX does not really take advantage of that.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Xplane 10 the 970 gtx worth it but for fsx no difference on my 3570 cpu. I think with fsx just one screen 2012 or later gpu series x60 will be sufficient for it.